There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Christ died so we may|
write articles about
|A multi-chef broth|
|Devil's in the details|
|The pearly gates|
In other words, Exodus International was a proponent of reparative therapy, a practice founded on the belief that "homosexual tendencies [are] one of many disorders that beset fallen humanity," and that "reorientation of same sex attraction is possible." In short, "pray away the gay".
The organization was opposed to legislation targeting hate crimes, labeling such laws "thought crime laws" on the grounds that they "pave the way to prosecute biblical beliefs about homosexuality, instead of prosecuting illegal actions that harm others."
If you were thinking of using their services you might want to consider the history of one of their co-founders — Michael Bussee — who is now strongly critical of such groups. He also fell in love with one of the other co-founders; both now accepting they were gay. Love conquers all!
During 2012, Exodus International president Alan Chambers (himself an "ex-gay") disavowed reparative therapy as something which offers false hope but fails to "cure" gays like himself of their homosexual tendencies. This apparent U-turn has caused some controversy within the movement.
- The 45 Biggest Homophobes of Our 45 Years | Advocate.com
- Exodus International — Is there a connection between homosexuality and predatory behavior, like pedophilia? (Wayback Machine copy)
- Exodus International — Is Homosexuality a Threat to the Family? To America? (Wayback Machine copy)
- Michael Bussee Ex-Gay Leader Apology — Beyond Ex-Gay (Wayback Machine copy)
- "Rift Forms in Movement as Belief in Gay ‘Cure’ Is Renounced", New York Times, July 6, 2012.
- I Am Sorry | Exodus International (blog, archived copy from the Wayback Machine)