A True Christian™ is a Christian who has perfected the "holier than thou" attitude. Generally a True Christian™ will be the absolute first to point out religious flaws in others with a total disregard for both their own flaws as well as the very commandments of Jesus.
True Christian are without match on Bible Gymnastics, which involves various bending and twisting of Scripture to try to accentuate a sin while ignoring another one. For instance, a True Christian will always be first in line to talk about how evil and disgusting a homosexual is, but at the same time sit down to enjoy a fine shrimp dinner despite the Bible's clear indications against shellfish.
A derivative of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy, this arguments is generally used to try to draw a divide between two Christians, one of whom is attacking the faith of the other. Despite the fact that both parties claim to be Christians, the attacking Christian will claim that no TRUE Christian would hold such a belief. For instance, current True Christians™ hold the claim that Barack Obama is secretly a Muslim for a variety of "reasons":
- No True Christian™ would be
- No True Christian™ would recognize any other religion or (gasp!) a lack of religion as being capable of good.
- No True Christian™ would be in favor of socialized health care.
- No Democrat could be a True Christian™ (It's not called God's Own Party for nothing!).
Concerning Barack Obama
- Televangelist Bill Keller questions Obama's faith because Obama is pro-choice, supportive of "special rights" for gays and is willing to broker land deals between Israelis and Palestinians to try to help the peace process, all of which he claims are fundamentally at odds with evangelical Christianity.
- Rev. Don Hamer gives seven reasons why Obama could not be a True Christian™. Bonus: Obama could not be a True Christian™ because he said that the Muslim call to prayer is a pretty sound.
- William Owens Jr. claims that Obama could not be a True Christian™ because (among other things) he "is intent on ending capitalism with his communist policy of redistribution of wealth". I don't know either.
- James Dobson states that Obama is rewriting Christianity to fit his own worldview. Gosh, that's brilliant!
- Bonus quote from Pastor Gary Cass (in the article): "Obama can talk the talk and even have secret meetings with religious leaders, but he has no credibility as a true Christian. At best Obama is a deist or a Universalist, but according to his theology and his policies, he definitely is not a Christian."
- According to an article in the Catholic Herald, two thirds of believers do not consider the Pope to be a True Christian™.
- According to Jesus-Is-Lord.com, not only is the Pope not a True Christian, but Catholics as a whole are not Christians!
- Bonus: Claims that the term "Holy Father" is only in the Bible once. Shhh, don't tell them that it's once more than the term "Rapture" is found.
- The "Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry" states: "The Roman Catholic Church is no longer representing true Christianity."
- The European Institute of Protestant Studies gives 5 Reasons Why Catholic is Not Christian
List of True Christians
- Fred Phelps & the Phelps Klan
- Ted Haggard
- Mark Sanford
- Sarah Palin
- James Dobson
- Pat Robertson
- Jerry Falwell
- Bill Donohue
- Tony Perkins
- Newt Gingrich
- John Ensign
- Michele Bachmann
- Ann Coulter
- Landover Baptist Church: God's Favorite Church