- Not to be confused with Incest.
In the Bible
Insects appear here and there throughout the Bible. These include:
Fowls that creep
All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you.
The "fowls" in the above King James Version passage are generally considered to actually refer to (flying) insects, although of course insects don't walk on four legs. This is arguably an error on the authors' part, though this is debatable.
Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:
Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,
Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.
These most amazing of all creatures are mentioned only in the Proverbs, in Proverbs 6:6 and Proverbs 30:25. Even the authors of these passages realised that ants are strong and prudent, and to be looked up to.
While not quite as good as ants, bees do feature more prominently in the Bible. However, they are not viewed in as positive a light as ants. They are first mentioned in a passage noting that the Israelites had been pursued by the Amorites like a swarm of bees. Later on, Israel's enemy, the Assyrians, will be compared to a bee, while the Egyptians (also enemies) will be compared to flies. The Mormons have a thing for Deseret, though.
Perhaps the most popular kind of insect in the Bible, the locust appears repeatedly in plague form, as food, and even as a tribulation in Revelation. However, in several cases 'locust' is a mistranslation of something else, or some other word is a mistranslation of 'locust'.
- God Hates Shrimp
- Insects during the global flood
- Colony collapse disorder (bees)
- The Ant (Surah)
- The Ant and the Peacock
- Deuteronomy 1:44
- Isaiah 7:18
- "God is most likely to take trouble over reproducing his own image, and his 400,000 attempts at the perfect beetle contrast with his slipshod creation of man. When we meet the Almighty face to face he will resemble a beetle." Kenneth and Doris Kermack recalling J. B. S. Haldane, as quoted by Stephen Jay Gould (The Linnean, August 1992).
- Leviticus 11:22 All ye faithful should try eating a Bombardier beetle which releases a 100°C toxic chemical stew when disturbed!
- Exodus 10:15
- Judges 6:5
- Joel 2:6
- Matthew 3:4
- Revelation 9:3