|Part of a series on|
|Spectra and binaries|
Kajsa "Ekis" Ekman (1980–) is a Swedish trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF) and pro-Russian debater. Widely considered Sweden's most prominent TERF, she is the author of several anti-trans articles and a book, and has been a columnist at some of the larger newspapers in Sweden. In 2022 she was fired by the Swedish left-wing newspaper ETC after she had claimed that Russian propaganda broadcaster RT publishes "very solid journalism." Later in 2022 she was hired and then fired only a week later as editor of the left-wing newspaper Arbetaren, after the entire board and several staff members had resigned in protest over her hiring. She has also contributed to fringe publications such as the "red-brown" conspiracy theorist website Steigan.no.
In 2018 the radical feminist National Organisation for Women’s Shelters and Young Women's Shelters in Sweden said that Ekman's anti-trans views were inconsistent with their values, and cancelled a planned talk with Ekman. Maria Ramnehill argued in 2018 that Ekman spreads scaremongering propaganda about trans women.
In 2021 she published an anti-trans book titled Om könets existens (On the existence of sex) about the supposed threat from "gender ideology." The book was criticized for relying on far-right "fake news sources" and depicting trans women as a threat. The Norwegian newspaper Morgenbladet described the book's anti-trans rhetoric as "abhorrent" and noted that "it is debatable whether this book deserves any discussion at all." Norwegian feminist Maria Horvei wrote that Ekman's "onesided" book argues against strawmen. The Swedish Federation for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights published a book titled 100 fel i 'Om könets existens' that argued that her book contained numerous inaccuracies and dubious sources. In 2021, the Swedish Forum for Gender Studies cancelled a discussion of Ekman's book, stating that "the Forum for Gender Studies is not a place for transphobia and anti-trans hate".
Ekman is widely known for her pro-Putin views. In 2022 she was fired by the left-wing daily ETC for promoting Russian propaganda, after she had claimed that RT publishes "very solid journalism." ETC's chief editor Andreas Gustavsson said he had fired Ekman because she had "whitewashed RT and what they are up to in the world."
Hired and fired as newspaper editor
A few months after she was fired by ETC, she was hired and then fired only a week later as editor of the anarcho-syndicalist newspaper Arbetaren, after the entire board and several staff members had resigned in protest over her hiring, citing her pro-Russian and anti-transgender views. The case received widespread media attention in Sweden.
- Kajsa Ekis Ekman formellt uppsagd från Arbetaren
- Kajsa Ekis Ekman sparkas: ”De kan glömma att jag lämnar jobbet”
- Collaboration between transphobic feminists and the far right — some facts ("Among the Putinist propaganda and antisemitism that fills Steigan’s website are numerous contributions from Kajsa “Ekis” Ekman, a prominent transphobic feminist and associate of the Communist Party (Sweden), who co-founded the Swedish branch of Women’s Declaration International")
- Kajsa Ekis Ekman in Steigan.no
- "Uttalande angående Kajsa Ekis Ekmans deltagande på Roks konferens 20 februari".
- Ramnehill, Maria. "Ekis Ekman sprider skrämselpropaganda om transkvinnor". Göteborgs-Posten.
- Samuelsson, Sanna (28 April 2021). "Recension: Fake news-källor i Ekis Ekmans nya bok". Göteborgs-Posten.
- Sandberg, Linn. "Om transkvinnan som hot". Respons.
- "Kan diskuteres om boken i det hele tatt fortjener omtale". Morgenbladet. 16 July 2021.
- Horvei, Maria (10 September 2021). "Å vere eller ikkje få vere". Vinduet.
- "100 fel i “Om könets existens”". RFSL.
- "Universitet ställde in seminarium om Kajsa Ekis Ekmans bok". Sveriges Television.
- Dagens ETC bryter med Ekis Ekman
- ”Fejden är ett tragikomiskt offentligt sammanbrott”
- Ekis Ekman sparkas från Arbetaren – efter kritiken ([Ekis Ekman fired by Arbetaren – after the criticism]
- Leninprisen til Kajsa Ekis Ekman, Steigan.no
- Kajsa Ekis Ekman, Leninpriset