Pigs will eat almost anything -- fresh fruit, rotting vegetables, eggs, cheese, even rancid meat. American farmers don't say "feed the pigs." They say "slop the hogs." If you ever drive past a pig farm, take a deep breath. Like dead, rotting flesh, a pig farm produces a smell that you will never forget.
Slang, idioms and other popular usages
"Pig" is sometimes used as a slang term for a police officer. This was especially true during the late 1960s and early 1970s, but is less true today. It is uncertain how this slang originated.
But in general, the most common use of the word "pig" refers to somebody who happily lives in squalor.
Other popular uses:
- Buying a pig in a poke: Buying something without inspecting it. In the Middle Ages, people would put cats and rats into bags and sell them as "suckling pigs." See "con artist."
- Making a silk purse out of a sows ear: Making something of beauty out of material that isn't, a difficult if not impossible task. See "alchemy."
- In a pig's eye: No sir, no way, no how. An unconditional denial.
- In hog heaven: An American idiom. Refers to a state of contentment and/or bliss, especially when experienced during an activity others view as mundane. No known origin. May refer to the blissful nature of some pigs as they roll around in mud. Dates back at least to the mid-19th century. Moscow, Idaho, founded in 1871, was originally named Hog Heaven. (Great name for a college town!)
- Pigs in a blanket: Link sausage rolled up in small pancakes. A breakfast dish.
- The Pig Man: Nickname given by liberal talk radio show host Mike Malloy to Rush Limbaugh.
- Casting pearls before swine: Saying something profound to people who won't appreciate it. Also, ranting incoherently and wondering why the unwashed masses don't get your brilliance.
In Da Good Book
God hates pigs!!!! In pretty much all of the Abrahamic religions, pigs get the short end of the stick. In Judaism, pork, bacon and all pig-related products are non-kosher meat. It says so in Leviticus which is a pity because pig-related products tend to be quite delicious. They're also non-halal meat in Islam. In fact, pigs and monkeys are said to be reincarnated Jews in Islam.
In Matthew 8:28-34, Jesus approached two demon-possessed men. When Jesus began to exorcise them, the demons asked that Jesus cast them into a herd of pigs. He did so, causing the pigs to run into the sea and drown themselves. The herdsmen then ran to the nearest town to report what they saw.
- Pacific Northwest Arboreal Octopus
- Goat milk
- Cow milk