| Our Feature Presentation|
Films and TV
“”There’s not a single scene that speaks to characters with lives outside their streamlined narrative function; they’re performers in a parable traced over a Chick tract.
|—Vadim Rizov, AV Club|
a movie which should have been terminated at script stage a maudlin, emotionally manipulative anti-abortion propaganda movie born unintelligently designed in 2019. It preaches to the choir of the American Republican white Evangelical Christian anti-choice crowd that already believes that life begins at erection and might as well end at birth, unless you're wealthy, and not black, Muslim, gay, transgender, an immigrant, or anything else like that.
Plot and reception
Unplanned earned 40% on the Tomatometer and overwhelming critical dislike at Metacritic, at 10 out of 100. However, it was upvote-bombed at both sites by, one suspects,
Steve Bannon hordes of true believers, 4chan trolls, members of the worst subreddits, the Westboro Baptist Church, QAnon followers, GitHub bots, and maybe a couple of bored Roman Catholic cardinals.
The film is written and directed by Chuck Konzelman and Cary Solomon, who wrote God's Not Dead and God's Not Dead 2, so why they didn't go with the much better title The Foetus Is Not Dead is anyone's guess.
Their script is based on a memoir of questionable veracity by Abby Johnson, a former Planned Parenthood director–turned-churchy-person (except the Bible does not forbid abortion, but let's not get bogged down in details — America!!$!). That story is also the plot.
The film strangely does not star Kirk Cameron. Seemingly they could not afford such a big movie star, as they also saved money by using straw men for anyone involved in Planned Parenthood, an organization which, the film is compelled to mention, was funded by George Soros.
Selected coverage of the film
- Vadim Rizov, "Unplanned is an abortion about abortion," AV Club, Mar. 29, 2019, accessed Oct. 4, 2019.
- Rotten Tomatoes, accessed Oct. 4, 2019.
- "Unplanned," Metacritic, as accessed Oct. 4, 2019.
- Nate Balkeslee, "The convert," Texas Monthly, Feb. 2010, as displayed Aug. 2, 2019.
- Amanda Marcotte, "The earth-shaking abortion that never happened," Slate, Jan. 7, 2010, as accessed Apr. 17, 2019.
- The Skeptic's Annotated Bible
- Martin Belam, "Ted Cruz Twitter account 'likes' pornographic tweet," The Guardian, Sep. 12, 2017, as displayed Sep. 11, 2019.