| Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
George Soros (1930–) is a self-righteous Hungarian-born billionaire who had no problem smashing the Bank of England in 1992 through currency speculation, but got pissed when other people pulled the same shit on energy. He is absolutely nothing like the Koch brothers, Richard Mellon Scaife, or any other wealthy financier of conservative causes who keeps a low profile, because shut up that's why.
Most people don't know much about him, and his name makes him sound like a Bond villain (plus, his surname is a palindrome). What better guy to portray as the brain to which the entire progressive movement is beholden? The movement is easier to demonize when it seems like it's all the machination of one rich evil bastard. In reality, what he's doing is fairly innocuous. Indeed, Soros has done some good in the world by funding district attorneys who oppose the War on (Some) Drugs (so he can smoke dope in Albany?). Perhaps one day the state can mind its own business rather than spending oodles of money on non-violent drug offenders.
Bankrolling liberals and wingnut conspiracies
George Soros is a well-known funder of various liberal organizations, including the Center for American Progress, MoveOn.org, and a princely $1 million donation to Media Matters. It was speculated that he gave funds to the Occupy movement in 2011; however, this was proven not the case. He also funds a whole bunch of NGOs, mostly dealing with civic supervision over governments, which is something authoritarian parties (e.g. PiS, Fidesz, United Russia) don't like.
Soros is also an evil spectre for Bill O'Reilly that, Bill believes, funds the liberal media, runs Media Matters, funds ACORN, and is the sole monetary force behind Air America Radio. This paranoia, of course, occurs only in the fantasy universe of Fox News. Glenn Beck concocted a conspiracy theory in which Soros secretly bankrolled communist eastern European regimes despite the fact that he actually supported anti-communist opposition parties in these states.
Cue the anti-Semitism
Being known as "The Man Who Broke the Bank of England," Soros features in many international Jewish conspiracy theories (and he usually has ties to the Rothschild family, of course). During the 1997-98 southeast Asian financial crisis, Malaysian premier Mahathir bin Mohamad fingered Soros as the head of a Jewish cabal that had caused the crisis. This began a feud between the two that lasted until 2006, when Mahathir apologized.
And, of course, who can forget Glenn Beck's super-duper-original 'puppet master' theory?
Soros the Holocaust master
“”soros, who was 9 y/o on V-Day, was the architect of the holocaust.
|—KRANG T. NELSON|
Various nutty sources allege that Soros -- who is Jewish -- was actively involved in perpetrating the Holocaust. Glenn Beck accused Soros of collaborating with the Nazis as a teenager in Nazi-occupied Hungary, when he had been hidden with the Christian family of a government official at the age of 14 to escape persecution. Soros was asked about this in a 1998 interview with Steve Kroft on 60 Minutes:
Kroft: You're a Hungarian Jew who escaped the Holocaust by posing as a Christian.Kroft: For example, "I'm Jewish and here I am watching these people go. I could just as easily be there. I should be there." None of that?
Kroft: ...and you watched lots of people get shipped off to the death camps.
Soros: Right. I was 14 years old and I would say that that's when my character was made.
Kroft: In what way?
Soros: That one should think ahead, one should understand and anticipate events and one is threatened. It was a tremendous threat of evil. I mean it was a very personal experience of evil.
Kroft: My understanding is that you went out with this protector of yours who swore that you were his adopted godson.
Kroft: ...went out in fact and helped in the confiscation of property from the Jews?
Soros: That's right.
Kroft: I mean that sounds like an experience that would send lots of people to the psychiatric couch for many, many years. Was it difficult?
Soros: Not at all. Maybe as a child you don't see the connection but it created no problem at all.
Kroft: No feeling of guilt?
Soros: Well, of course I could be on the other side. I could be the one for whom the thing is being taken away, but there was no sense that I shouldn't be there. Well actually, funny way, it's just like in markets. If I weren't there, of course I wasn't doing it, but somebody else would be taking it away anyhow. Whether I was there or not I was only a spectator. The property was being taken away, so I had no role in taking away that property so I had no sense of guilt.
- The Russian government has as of 2015 banned all of George Soros' philanthropic organizations from operating in Russia as a threat to national security.
- Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban claimed Soros' organizations were drawing their funding from encouraging the refugee crisis in Europe.
- Polish right-wingers - both from citizen movements as well as professional, popular politics - often accuse everyone who is a "moonbat" (that is, everyone who does not share their views) of being sponsored by Soros
- James Hansen - Soros allegedly controls NASA via Hansen in order to perpetuate the global warming hoax.
- Pizzagate - Soros Often Rewards Orphan Sex
- The man who broke the Bank of England, BBC News
- Costly oil could mean recession - Soros, CNN
- "Malaysian ex-premier Mahathir and billionaire Soros end feud", News Online (15 December 2006, 11:29pm AEDT). Mahatir Mohamad has basically admitted to using Soros as a scapegoat.
- The billionaire native Esperanto speaker?
- Morgenson, Gretchen, "INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS; Soros's Quantum Fund Losses in Russia Put at $2 Billion", NYT August 1998.
- Clifford, Levy J., "Putin Vows to Fight Economic Collapse in Russia", NYT 20 November 2008.
- Reuters goofed
- See these sites for example.
- Soros Calls Mahathir A 'Menace' To Malaysia, The New York Times
- Malaysian ex-premier Mahathir and billionaire Soros end feud, Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- See Glenn Beck's Anti-Semitic Attacks and George Soros: Too Anti-Communist for Glenn Beck. This also resulted in a truly awesome Daily Show episode.
- Beck falsely accuses Soros of Nazi collaboration on Kristallnacht anniversary. Media Matters. November 9, 2010.
- George Soros Interview 60 Minutes FULL. ReasonReport (YouTube). November 17, 2016.
- Russia Bans George Soros Charity as a Security Threat, CNBC
- Hungarian PM Slams Soros-Funded Advocacy Groups: They “Are Drawing A Living From The Immigration Crisis”, Breitbart
- Like here, and here, which does not go unnoticed by some journalists, thankfully.