|Hail to the Chief?|
|Persons of interest|
|Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
“”Putting another Clinton in the White House will fan the flames of this right-wing extremism. We have known that for a long time ever since Nazi Germany.
|—An Onion headline on legs|
Jill "Tofu Palin" "Jilly Crystals" Stein (that's Dr. Stein to you, CNN) is a physician, troubadour, and Green
Tea candidate from Massachusetts. She is a two-time U.S. Presidential candidate, and is poised to run again in 2020.
Stein's message has been well-received within the party circle, having just the right amount of social media cred (a lot) and actual political experience (none whatsoever). In 2016, Stein piggybacked on the Sanders movement when he dropped out the race to endorse Clinton. This despite Sanders
not even knowing she's alive instructing his own followers to vote Democrat. Her candidacy was a total joke: She has dinner with human rights advocate Vladimir Putin. She insulted everyone who doesn't agree with her 100 percent. Called Obama a terrible president. Called Hillary a terrible mother. She even went after Michelle. Stein calling Bernie a DC insider is enough to make you kick babies.
Her Swiss counterpart dismisses her ideas as "delusional".
 Electoral history
Stein's highest elected office is a city council position in Lexington, MA. She ran for governor in 2002, losing to future Presidential candidate Mitt Romney. She first ran for president under the green banner in 2012. Her running mate was Cheri Honkala, a career activist and perpetual homelessness enthusiast. Presumably this choice was made so that Stein would look less radical by comparison.
She made her second foray as a candidate in the 2016 election. Unfortunately for her, another progressives candidate (Bernie Sanders) had made waves under the Democratic Party banner, offering a practical alternative to the Green Party. Throughout her campaign, she presented the Green Party ticket as a "Plan B for Bernie", a fallback for such voters should Sanders not make the primaries. Indeed, when he folded his campaign and pledged support to Clinton, Stein benefited from the newly-validated Bernie or Bust movement.
Stein, who is currently known for her blue power suits, chose activist Ajamu Baraka as her running mate (the Black and Blue ticket). Baraka is known for such insights as comparing the vigil for the Charlie Hebdo massacre to a white power rally or calling Obama an "Uncle Tom president".
“”Most of that [$4 million], if not all of it, should be handled by the fee. And if some of it is not, you know, democracy is not free.
|—Stein on the cost of her Michigan recount|
A lot of doomsday scenarios have arisen from the recount effort mounted by Stein. But that train seems to have run out of coal: There was never any serious chance that Stein was going to throw the election back to Hillary; she clearly hates the woman and a Democratic President does the Greens no good. Which is why the DNC were decidedly unenthusiastic about her crusade, and why the Democratic officials in the states she targeted were very eager to shut it down before it starts. But hey, it's not her money she's spending. Even after the deadline passed, Stein didn't know when to quit (but what the hell, Trump says there were up to 3 million illegal votes).
Stein is playing a longer game: she realizes the Dems have a serious disparity between the aging leadership and their base, and that a lot of idealists will "vote their conscience" once things go south for them. If the Greens reach 5% in 2020, they'll qualify for matching funds, and if they poll in the double digits they could land a podium in the debates. The Greens see themselves as spoilers and kingmakers who can essentially hold the Democratic Party hostage.
 Political positions
“”Why would we have a tie on such an egregious nominee? Because Democrats serve corporate interests.
|—All zero of those Democrats who voted for DeVos should be ashamed of themselves!|
Stein, who prefers Trump to Clinton, identifies as a democratic socialist. She has a solid reputation for social justice advocacy and activism, and her views line up with left-libertarian and environmentalist ideals. Like her party, however, Stein more often leans toward the hard-left (particularly with regard to alt-medicine and science woo).
The core tenet of her candidacy has been the "Green New Deal", a stimulus package inspired by FDR's Depression Era New Deal, that would seek to revitalize the American economy through a transition that would lead to an eco-friendly economy. It basically serves as a convenient platform to bundle all of her positions into one bill, including such provisions as the cancellation of all student debt, establishment of free
communist healthcare, revoking corporate personhood and the PATRIOT Act, and reduction of the U.S. Military budget by 50%.
 The Red Green Show
Stein thinks the best way to stop Donald Trump is to get him elected, or else the Clintons will cause fascists to come to power before invading… Russia? Well, it's not as if "will start war with Russia!" is a Kremlin talking point or anything.
On September 6, 2016, Stein was criticized by two Russian environmental activists (Evgeniya Chirikova and Nadezda Kutepova) for her lack of criticism of Vladimir Putin following Stein's meeting with him. Specifically, the activists criticized Stein's promotion of "collaborative dialogue" with Russia while not raising any serious issues with Putin such as "corruption, injustice, falsification of elections, and violation of human rights and international law" and "attacks against Russian journalists, artists, and environmentalists".
As a result of slightly more people actually paying attention to what she's been saying — after Sanders' withdrawal and later endorsement of Hillary caused some on the far left to look to Stein as a potential "next-best" candidate — Stein has come under fire for her apparent anti-vaxxer sympathies, which she hides within (largely debunked) criticisms of corporate influence in the CDC and FDA.
Such ideas coming from a medical doctor would certainly spark concern, and debate continues over whether she is legitimately calling the validity of vaccinations into question, or just pandering to fringe groups to bolster her voter base. One point of note, however, is that despite never even remotely linking autism to vaccines, that is the angle that some outlets have taken on her stance, that she specifically thinks vaccines might cause autism. In part because of angles like that, some allege that such coverage is part of a pro-Clinton smear campaign against Stein in the mainstream liberal media, which wouldn't necessarily be that hard to believe. She would later go on record with The Young Turks at the 2016 Green Party national convention that she specifically does not believe that vaccines cause autism.
In addition to mandatory labeling, she has called for a moratorium on production of GMO based foods, and also pesticides. Ironically for a proponent of clean and renewable energy, she is vehemently opposed to nuclear power, going so far as to literally equate (as in with the "=" sign) nuclear power plants to "weapons of mass destruction waiting to be detonated".
|A number of scientific studies have raised red flags about possible health effects of WiFi radiation on young children. I do not have a personal opinion that WiFi is or isn't a health issue for children. There is not enough information to know. I do however believe in science. Scientific research should go forward and find out. Countries including Switzerland, Italy, France, Austria, Luxembourg, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary, Israel, Russia and China, have banned or restricted these technologies in schools.|
Right, none of these countries have WiFi in schools. Nope.
 Conspiracy theories
Bo Gardiner documented that Stein privately invests in corporations and practices she publicly campaigns against, eschewing green funds in favor of the world's largest backer of Monsanto and global deforestation.
- Do a lil' dance / Make a lil' love / Vote Green tonight
- Breaking News from Jill Stein
- "Can I call you DOCTOR Stein?" - PBS conspiracies? Keep on fighting the good fight, Doc.
- Don't think her supporters would appreciate the fact that she's wearing a dead animal around her neck.
- Jill Stein helps elect climate-denier, regrets nothing
- You'd think this pic would have sounded an alarm for Green voters. - That's Mike Flynn, Trump's National Security Director, to her left.
 See also
- Ben "Show Me the Fossils" Carson - Smart enough to recite from a book, but no depth or intelligence beyond that.
- Beppe Grillo - A millionaire who has convinced broke college kids that he's just like them.
- Cynthia McKinney - Stein is hardly the first whackjob the Green Party put up.
- Louis Farrakhan - Baraka, like Farrakhan, is a black supremacist. He talks like no black person or Muslim has ever done anything wrong in history (except for working with whites and non-Muslims, rather than instigating a race war).
- George Galloway - U.S. foreign policy is not pristine by any standard. But this tendency to blame America/Israel for everything that goes wrong is stupid. (The Iraq War caused the "oppose all US military action" wing to swell in numbers.)
- ↑ Chait, Jonathan, "Jill Stein Explains Her Plan to Stop Trump by Electing Him President", New York Magazine (7/28/16 at 9:11 p.m.).
- ↑ Baker, Brandy, "Jill Stein Sees Russia From Her House", North Star 12.9.16.
- ↑ Milman, Oliver, "Green party's Jill Stein invites Bernie Sanders to take over ticket", Guardian (Last modified on 7/8/16 at 9:55 EDT). Milman: "Stein said she had made her offer directly to Sanders in an email at the end of the primary season, although she had not received a response." Notice me, senpai!
- ↑ Strauss, Daniel, "Stein trolls Johnson on world leaders gaffe, also fails to name world leaders", Politico (09/29/16 11:35 AM EDT).
- ↑ Aravosis, John, "Jill Stein in Moscow criticized US human rights, said nothing about Russian human rights", America Blog (8/6/16 at 5:31pm).
- ↑ Fedell, Zachary, 8/6/16 Tweet, 3:40 PM.
- ↑ Milibank, Dana, "From Jill Stein, disturbing echoes of Ralph Nader", WaPo 8.23.16. Noam Chomsky fails Jill Stein's purity test, says he "subscribes to the politics of fear" for saying that the only “rational choice” for swing-state voters is to support Clinton.
- ↑ Kuntzman, Gersh, "Green Party Presidential candidate Jill Stein slams the system, law-breaking Obama, ‘Frankenstein’ Trump and ‘corporate’ Hillary Clinton ", NY Daily News (Updated 5/19/16 at 9:33 AM).
- ↑ Aravosis, John, "Internet excoriates Green Party’s Jill Stein for calling Hillary bad mom", AmericaBlog (5/8/16 at 3:10pm).
- ↑ 9.25.16 Tweet, 9:00 AM.
- ↑ Burris, Sarah K., "Jill Stein insists Trump is less dangerous than Clinton – and attacks Bernie Sanders as a DC insider", Raw Story (9/19/16 at 8:41 ET). Shades of Ralph Nader complaining that Obama won't take his calls.
- ↑ Pullam-Moore, Charles, "To the Left, to the Left: The Green Party’s new VP candidate has some questionable views on Beyoncé", Fusion (8/2/16 5:08 PM).
- ↑ Pearl, Mike, "Foreign Greens Think the US Green Party Needs to Ditch Jill Stein", Vice (11/7/16 at 10:00am).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 http://forward.com/news/breaking-news/345346/jill-stein-supports-bds-and-5-other-things-about-the-green-party-candidate/
- ↑ http://www.salon.com/2000/07/31/honkala/
- ↑ "Green Party's Jill Stein Wants To Be 'Plan B' For Bernie Sanders Supporters". NPR.
- ↑ Beck, Zhenya (2016)."Political Climate Change: Bernie Sander’s Exit And The Rise Of The Greens’ Jill Stein". Huffington Post.
- ↑ Baraka, "The Charlie Hebdo White Power Rally in Paris - A Celebration of Western Hypocrisy", Dissident Voice 1.14.15.
- ↑ Resnik, Gideon, "The Wild Beliefs of Ajamu Baraka, Jill Stein’s Green Party Running Mate", Daily Beast (08/16/16 at 10:00 PM ET).
- ↑ Livengood, Chad, "Mich. recount to start Friday barring Trump challenge", Detroit News (Updated 12/1/16 at 1:12 p.m. ET).
- ↑ Elias, Marc Erik, "Listening and Responding To Calls for an Audit and Recount", Medium 11.26.16.
- ↑ Stanage, Niall, "Annoyed Dems dismiss recount as ‘waste of time’", The Hill (11/28/16 06:56 PM EST).
- ↑ Stein, Jason, "Judge rejects Stein's request for hand recount", Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Updated 11/29/16 at 9:35 p.m. CT).
- ↑ Weigel, David, "Why are people giving Jill Stein millions of dollars for an election recount?", WaPo 11.24.16. Heist completed!
- ↑ Memoli, Michael A. "What you need to know about Wisconsin's recount, and why it's unlikely to change a thing", 11.28.16 at 3:15 pm).
- ↑ Blitzer, Ronn, "Jill Stein Plans to Sue After Wisconsin Refuses to Hand Recount", Law Newz (11/28/16 at 4:53 pm).
- ↑ Kamisar, Ben, "Green Party blasts Dems on DeVos confirmation", The Hill (02/07/17 03:46 PM EST).
- ↑ The Green Party Openly Preferred George W. Bush in 2000 and Openly Prefers Donald Trump Now
- ↑ http://gpus.org/organizing-tools/the-green-new-deal/
- ↑ http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/jill-steins-plan-to-stop-trump-by-electing-him.html
- ↑ Jonathan, Robert, "World War 3: Hillary Clinton Presidency "Is a Mushroom Cloud Waiting to Happen' Says Stein", Inqusitur 11.6.16.
- ↑ " ‘Loose cannon’ Trump and ‘war drums’ Clinton: Dr. Jill Stein", RT (Updated 11/8/16 0at 4:46am).
- ↑ "Stein calls Britain Vote a Wake-up Call". jill2016.com. Retrieved on 1 July 2016. (Hahahah, nice try, Jill. Here is the original version.)
- ↑ Open letter to Dr. Jill Stein, Green Party candidate for President of the United States in the 2016 election by Евгения Чирикова (September 6, 2016 Facebook posting) Archive.is copy
- ↑ http://www.mediaite.com/online/jill-stein-gets-predictable-backlash-after-calling-castro-a-symbol-of-the-struggle-for-justice/
- ↑ Weigel, David (2016). Jill Stein on vaccines: People have ‘real questions’ The Washington Post
- ↑ "Green Candidate Jill Stein Isn't Anti-Vaccine". The Young Turks
- ↑ http://www.snopes.com/is-green-party-candidate-jill-stein-anti-vaccine/
- ↑ http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Jill_Stein_Energy_+_Oil.htm
- ↑ https://twitter.com/drjillstein/status/715230945679380481
- ↑ "Jill Stein says it's Dangerous to Expose Kids to WiFi Signals", Raw Story.
- ↑ https://np.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5a2d2l/title_jill_stein_answers_your_questions/d9d867l/
- ↑ Kelley, Marty, "ill Stein Didn’t Want You Dumb Old Bernie Voters Anyway", Wonkette (8/4/16 at 10:16am).
- ↑ Rosenberg, Yair, "Friends Don’t Let Friends Vote for Jill Stein", Tablet (8/10/16, 2:04 AM).
- ↑ Neidig, Harper, "Jill Stein calls for new 9/11 investigation", The Hill (9/09/16 at 08:02 pm).
- ↑ http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/295266-stein-calls-for-new-9-11-investigation
- ↑ Jill Stein Privately Invests in Global Deforestation and the Corporations She Publicly Attacks
|United States 2016 presidential election articles on RationalWiki|
| Topics: Affordable Care Act - Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission - DAESH - Gun control - Illegal immigration - Koch Industries - United States Electoral College - Trump's Wall
Parties: Democratic Party (primaries) - Green Party - Libertarian Party - Republican Party (primaries • Convention • Tea Party)
Candidates: Bush (R) - Carson (R) - Christie (R) - Clinton (D) - Cruz (R) - Huckabee (R) - Jindal (R) - Johnson (Lib) - Kasich (R) - Paul (R) - Perry (R) - Sanders (D) - Stein (Green) - Trump (R) - Walker (R) - Webb (D) • Running mates: Kaine (D) - Pence (R)
Winner: Donald Trump