| Against allopathy|
Amber necklaces are a form of parenting woo. Some parents believe that amber worn on the skin can prevent colic and fussiness in infants and toddlers. Typically it is worn as a "choker" style necklace around the child, or sometimes as a bracelet or anklet. The purported mechanism is that amber contains succinic acid, which acts as an analgesic, and that the warmth of the skin releases the succinic acid into the skin. However, this is ludicrous. There is succinic acid in amber but it is trapped inside the amber and does not leach into the skin. Amber is in fact famous for being inert — changing very little over millions of years, which is why one can find perfectly preserved ancient organisms in amber. Although succinic acid is sometimes used as a food additive for flavor modification, it has limited if any analgesic properties. If you want to constantly low-dose medicate your child why not make make them a handmade necklace out of paracetamol pills instead?
Beaded necklaces of any kind present both a strangulation and a choking hazard. There have been two recorded deaths attributed to amber necklaces. If the necklace breaks the beads can also be choked on or swallowed. Children under 5 should not wear beaded necklaces or bracelets.
- Placebo… for the parent.
- Amber necklace salespeople get to make a cheap, dishonest living.
- …and that's about all.
- Amber Waves of Woo by John Snyder (April 11, 2014) Science-Based Medicine