| Style over substance|
Brown is the owner of The Farsight Institute, an organization which investigates remote viewing experiments and supports quantum woo, aliens, Atlantis, Mu, crackpot conspiracy theories and failed 2012 apocalypse predictions.
Brown works as a social scientist in the Department of Political Science at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. The university has denounced his crank theories and pseudoscientific work into remote viewing. Brown has said that his research into remote viewing is not related to Emory. His fellow scientists from Emory have highlighted flaws in his remote viewing experiments and criticized his work as pseudoscience.
Brown is the author of the book Cosmic Voyages: A Scientific Discovery of Extraterrestrials Visiting Earth which Brown claimed to use powers of "remote viewing" (an alleged psychic ability permitting individuals to "see" objects at enormous distances) to visit Mars and observe the actions of aliens. He purports to have uncovered evidence that two races of extraterrestrials, Martians and Greys who moved from Mars to live in the dark recesses of Earth. He claims that Adam and Eve were architects of a "genetic engineering project" and that numerous Star Trek episodes were written with the assistance of aliens.
The Hale-Bopp fiasco
He developed this idea as a result of remote viewing sessions at the Farsight Institute, saying "The remote viewing results clearly suggest that the object was artificial in nature, and that it was under intelligent control." His report, on the overnight radio show Coast to Coast AM, created a sensation that the Heaven's Gate loonies evidently treated as though it were established fact. The mass suicide was reported by them as a way of traveling to the alien object.
Whether or not Courtney Brown was responsible, or partly responsible, for the Heaven's Gate deaths has been a hot item on the Internet debate stage ever since. Keep an open mind, folks, just don't let your brains fall out.
- Serpents in the Sand: Essays in the Nonlinear Nature of Politics and Human Destiny (1995)
- Cosmic Voyage: A Scientific Discovery of Extraterrestrials Visiting Earth (1996)
- Remote Viewing: The Science and Theory of Nonphysical Perception (2005)
- Politics in Music: Music and Political Transformation From Beethoven to Hip-Hop (2007)
- Shermer, Michael. (2002). The Borderlands of Science: Where Sense Meets Nonsense. Oxford University Press. pp. 3-4
- The Farsight Institute
- Courtney Brown at Emory University
- The Courtney Brown affair and academic freedom
- Remote Viewer Courtney Brown has Critics at Emory
- Remote Viewing
- Inside the Mind of Adolf Hilter, Remote Viewing the Fuhrer, Dr Courtney Brown
- Courtney Brown - Adolf Hitler: Remote Viewing a Mass Murderer
- Exposing Pseudoastronomy Podcast Episode 127: The Saga of Comet Hale-Bopp and its Fugacious Companion, Part 1: 2 March 2015
- Exposing Pseudoastronomy Podcast Episode 128: The Saga of Comet Hale-Bopp and its Fugacious Companion, Part 2: 14 March 2015
- Exposing Pseudoastronomy Podcast Episode 129: The Saga of Comet Hale-Bopp and its Fugacious Companion, Part 3: 1 April 2015
- Official statement 20 January 1977