| It doesn't stop|
at the water's edge
He was born a poor farmer in Geoje County, South Gyeongsang Province in 1953. In 1972, he entered Kyung Hee University, a prestigious university at that time.
He was drafted into the Army in August 1975 and served as a special forces officer for three years.
Moon Jae-in was elected lawmaker representing Busan in 2012, thus he began his full-scale political activity.
Actions as President and political positions
He is a liberal politician and considers himself a feminist. He has implemented policies such as enacting a law curbing violence against women and supporting women in prostitution. He fully legalized abortion in 2019. However, some regard him as a discriminatory politician. In particular, men in their twenties think it is sexist of him to not subject women to conscription.
He is a former official in the liberal regime of Kim Dae-Jung (1998-2003), and Roh Moo-hyun (2003-2008). His government has pursued the Sunshine Policy, or reconciliation with North Korea. For this reason, some conservative politicians attack him as a communist.
However, he is not liberal on the issue of sexual minorities. He opposed homosexuality in the military, but at the same time stated that there should be no discrimination based on sexual orientation.[note 2] In economics, he called for income-led growth and social market economy.
- Dark King (명왕) — after the character Silvers Rayleigh from the Japanese manga series One Piece.
- Sir Moon (달님)
- Moon-bama (문바마)
- Moon-Disaster (문재앙)
- Dal-liban (달레반) — Korean word for 'Moon' (달) + 'Taliban'
- Neville Chamberlain, who attempted to appease Nazi Germany
- Social liberalism
- Minjoo Party — Moon Jae-in of his party now the ruling party of the Republic of Korea
- Sunshine Policy
- Donald Trump — Perhaps paradoxically, in diplomatic matters, South Korea's right-wingers like Obama while, South Korea's liberals prefer Trump. This is because Obama was hostile to North Korea whereas Trump wants dialogue with Pyongyang.
Donald Trump, the protector of S.Korean liberals?But in terms of internal politics and social issues, Trump is the same as the Liberty Korea Party.
- Korean War
- That is, by South Korean political standards.
- South Korea has historically suffered from traditional Confucian culture, Japanese colonial rule and military dictatorship. so there is a culture of anti-homosexuality throughout society.