| Guide to:|
|Ideas and policies|
The Tides Center is a liberal advocacy organization in the US, founded by Drummond Pike in 1976.
Contrary to what some crackpots assert, the organization is in no way connected to George Soros. However, this apparently escaped Byron Williams, who was arrested in 2010 for an attempted terrorist attack on the California Tides Foundation and ACLU offices. He cited Glenn Beck as his inspiration, and claimed that he thought the Tides Center was owned by George Soros (who was plotting a Commie Revolution or something, we're guessing).
It seems that the Tides Foundation came to Beck's attention thanks to a 2007 viral video called The Story of Stuff, which was also published in book form in 2009. The video and book explain how the United States:
- has about five percent of the world's population, but uses about 25 percent of its resources;
- exploits the people and natural resources of other nations to maintain this level of consumption; and
- will not lower its level of consumption until it becomes unprofitable to do otherwise.
The video Itself
- "Money Laundering For Democrats: Enter George Soros’s ‘The Tides Foundation’." YourDaddy's Politics. 2010 October 21.
- Tides Foundation and Tides Center. DiscoverTheNetworks.org.
- "Highway Shooter Targeted Tides Foundation." KTVU. 2010 July 21.