|The colorful pseudoscience|
Race & Racialism
|Hating thy neighbour|
|Divide and conquer|
Yellow fever is associated with the extreme right wing male chauvinism and the alt-right. Notable far right figures including Andrew Anglin, Alex Linder, Richard Spencer, and Mike Cernovich have or had Asian partners, while Dylan Roof excluded Asians to his hatred of nonwhite people because he believes they are racist too. The far right's fascination with East Asians goes back to racist pseudoscience, in fact, the Nazis considered Chinese and Japanese people to be "honorary Aryans", which naturally led to Nazi Germany allying with Japan.
Additionally, there's a cultural stereotype on East Asian women that they are passive, subservient, conforming, child-like, and willing to "integrate" into "white" culture. While Asian cultures do follow a collectivist philosophy that emphasizes conformity and harmony to promote group well-being, those two traits are only very general ideas that occupy on a spectrum and do not blanket apply to a culture much less individual personalities. After all, the equivalent would be others characterizing "west" culture as everyone pursuing only in self-interest, and cooperation is an alien concept. Nevertheless Asian women are stereotyped as being overly modest and docile as well as having a petite build, which are perfect stereotypes for the aforementioned men. However, there aren't clear explanations for why Asian partners, who have full agency with their actions, accepted engaging with the aforementioned far-right figures, especially when Spencer's ex-girlfriend knew Spencer's white supremacist leanings.
There is a perception among the far-right men that East Asia is also somehow unaffected by the so-called scourges of feminism. This is despite a version of feminism growing in East Asia such as China, being intertwined with the protest of communism's promotion of strict traditional gender roles. In the United States, Asian-American women have condemned the fetishization of women at the Women's March.
Thinking that Asian people are part of a so-called "model minority" also plays a part in the yellow fever culture, because they think Asian women adapt to white society by example.
Yellow fever is often associated with white men, but some white women also tend to have yellow fever. Among some white women who like K-Pop, Asian men are sexually targeted. However, most people with yellow fever are heterosexual white men.
- Life may have its woes, but we have our wonderful Eastern women. Amen, brothers!, Libertarian Guys with Asian Wives
- Nguyen, M. Dylann Roof's Racist Manifesto Reveals 'Pro-Asian' Sentiments. NBC News. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- Goran Blazeski, Hitler saw China and Japan as equals to Germany and even wrote admiringly: “I admit freely that their history is superior to our own”, The Vintage News 18 Mar. 2017
- Mukkamala, S. Suyemoto, K. (July 26, 2018). From Exotic to Invisible: Asian American Womens' Experiences of Discrimination. American Psychological Association. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- Harvey-Taylor (August 15, 2017). Feminism in the Asia Pacific. The Monsoon Project. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- Kaiman, J. (June 15, 2016). In China, feminism is growing and so is the backlash. LA Times. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- Madani, D. (January 22, 2018). Constance Wu Calls Out The Fetishization Of Asians At Women’s March. Huffington Post. Retrieved November 24, 2019.