Her critics have accused her of having used "sloppy and unscientific writing techniques" and maintain that she was guilty of quote mining. She has been described as being more of a popularizer of ideas than a real scientist. Regardless, she was awarded an honorary Doctor of Letters by Glamorgan University in December 2006.
Morgan wrote six books, four of them on the aquatic ape theory:
- The Aquatic Ape, 1982, Stein & Day Pub
- The Scars of Evolution, 1990, Souvenir Press
- The Descent of the Child, 1995, Oxford University Press
- The Aquatic Ape Hypothesis, 1997, Souvenir Press
- Falling Apart: The Rise and Decline of Urban Civilisation, 1976, Souvenir Press Ltd.
- Pinker's List, 2005, Eildon Press