Haven University (formerly the California Graduate School of Theology) is a fundie school located in Garden Grove, California. For much of its existence Haven University was completely unaccredited thus it was more difficult to distinguish from a straight-up diploma mill. Biblical literalist Carl Baugh claims a PhD in Theology from this school.
Statement of Faith
You should have seen this coming from miles away.
- The Bible: The Bible, in its entirety, is the infallible, inerrant, and inspired Word of God; it is divine revelation that carries the full weight of God's authority and to which we are obliged to submit.
- The Trinity: Within the Godhead there is a unity of three distinct yet fully divine persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; these three are one true, eternal God, the same in substance, equal in power and glory.
- God: God is a Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable in His being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth. God is fully omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent, not given to learning or "openness."
- Jesus Christ: Jesus Christ is truly God and truly man, having two natures inseparably united in one divine person without confusion, mixture, separation, or division. Each nature retains its own attributes. In the incarnation, Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary, lived a perfect life among us, was crucified, dead, and buried, rose on the third day, ascended to heaven, and will come again in glory and judgment. He is the only Mediator between God and man.
- The Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit is of one substance with the Father and the Son. He eternally proceeds from the Father and the Son, and He dwells in the hearts of believers, effecting their regeneration monergistically and operating in their sanctification synergistically.
- Creation: God, by the word of His power, created from nothing the heavens and the earth and all that is in them. He further preserves and governs all His creatures and all their actions according to His most holy, wise, and powerful providence.
- Man: After God made the other creatures, He created man, both male and female, in His own image, but because Adam sinned and woefully fell in his responsibility, he and his posterity entered into a state of moral corruption and moral inability and became estranged from their Creator, thus deserving death as the punishment for sin.
- Atonement: Because all have sinned, atonement must be made in order for man to be reconciled to God. Jesus Christ made a complete atonement for His people through His substitutionary atoning death on the cross. He imputes His righteousness to all believers securing us full redemption for all who repent of their sin and trust in Him alone for salvation.
- The Law: The moral law perfectly reflects the unchangeable character of God and forever binds all people, believers as well as unbelievers.
- The Church: Christ has established a visible church, which is called to live in the power of the Holy Spirit under the regulation of the authority of Holy Scripture, preaching the gospel of Christ, administering the sacraments, and exercising discipline.
- Christianity and Culture: California Graduate School of Theology supports the work of Christian organizations and institutions that confess the final authority of Scripture and lordship of Jesus Christ, and are committed to the implementation of the social and cultural implications of God's commandments for the well-being of man and his environment. Cal Grad especially supports those organizations that condemn the murder of defenseless human beings at the earliest stages of their development and that reject unbiblical definitions of gender, sexuality, and marriage.
- Satan: Satan is the evil accuser who slanders God to man and man to God. He is the tempter of men who continually solicits men to sin. He is to be resisted by submitting to God. [Satan's] final destiny is that of a conquered enemy who now abides under a perpetual curse, whereby he is finally to be cast alive into the lake of fire. There he is to be tormented forever, along with all who refuse repentance and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The Last Things: The bodies of men, after death, return to dust, and see corruption: but their souls, which neither die or sleep, having an immortal subsistence, immediately return to God who gave them; the souls of the righteous, being then made perfect in holiness, are received into the highest heavens, where they behold the face of God, in light and glory, waiting for the full redemption of their bodies. And the souls of the wicked are cast into hell, where they remain in torments and utter darkness, reserved to the judgment of the great day. Beside these two place, for souls separated from their bodies, the Scripture acknowledges none.
Translation: God created everything, freedom of choice is a no-no, being a homosexual is evil (for some reason), trans people are evil (somehow) and everything in the Bible is literal fact. That sums it all up.
Haven University focuses on theological subjects and almost nothing secular (Probably a good thing). The only secular programs are an undergraduate and graduate degree in business administration along with an ESL (English as a Second Language) diploma. Theological programs include a Bachelor of Arts in Religion (B.A.R), Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R), Master of Divinity (M.Div), Master of Theology (Th.M) and a Doctorate of Ministry (D.Min).
Haven University is accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools. Accreditation was granted October 30, 2018.