Liberal Democratic Party of Russia
| How the sausage is made|
The Liberal Democratic Party of Russia is a Russian political party that is nothing of liberal but far-right. It is the main right-wing populist party in Russia, and as of 2016, holds 39 of the 450 seats in the State Duma,[note 1] taking the 3rd place behind a bunch of neo-Stalinists.
The party leader, Vladimir Zhirinovsky (born Vladimir Volfovich Eidelshtein), has a reputation for making scandalous xenophobic, hooray-patriotic speeches. He once made a video address to George W. Bush condemning the Iraq War with many expletives and anti-American threats thrown in while drunk (later, he claimed it was forged). Those PR stunts would likely cause international disasters if anyone was capable of taking him seriously.
For reasons best known to himself, Auberon Waugh became a fervent supporter of Zhirinovsky during the 1990s. In their song "Archives of Pain" from the same era, Manic Street Preachers advocated his execution (along with many others).
The party's website (in Russian, of course) features documents that profess the party's support of a treasure trove of conspiracy theories. For example, the 2015 book "USA: Satan's States of America" features claims such as:
- the people heading the Fed started World War 1 and 2, as well as killed three U.S. Presidents and Gaddafi (page 13)
- the Rothschild family manipulates the prices of gold to benefit American interests (page 20)
- 9/11 was a provocation perpetrated to pass laws that would enable the U.S. to block any transactions from suspected terrorists (page 22)
- that formerly imprisoned businessman and Putin-critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky was "the Rothschilds' financial officer in Russia" (page 25)
- that American intelligence services will eventually launch a false flag operation, which might involve nuclear weapons, against itself or Israel (p. 35)
- that the Rothschilds and the Rockefellers are planning a gigantic crisis to happen in 2015-2017 (p. 37)
- that the U.S. financed Leo Trotsky and Alexander Parvus (with their original Jewish last names inside parentheses) to take control of Russia and to "break the back of the Russian people", and organized the revolutions of 1905, 1917 and 1991 (pp.43-45)
And many more.
- Annex Belarus
- Pro death penalty
- Abolition of "non-traditional" or "fanatical" religious groups (Islamic Fundamentalists, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses)
- State control of all agriculture
- Anti-NATO, and anti-United States
- Pro-vodka[citation NOT needed]
- LDPR party manifesto from ca. 2007 in English
- This is the lower, popularly elected house of the Russian parliament
- You can watch it on YouTube, but only if you understand Russian. Translations of his speech found on YouTube are all garbage, anyway.
- США: сатанинские Штаты Америки (SShA: sataninskie Shtaty Ameriki) in Russian: This is a wordplay on Russian name of the United States (Соединенные Штаты Америки; Soedinennye Shtaty Ameriki), which shares the acronym США.