| We control what|
you think with
|Said and done|
|Jargon, buzzwords, slogans|
“”Anyone who uses the word "Libtard" has already demonstrated their level of intelligence, and it's nothing to write home about.
|—The Christian Left|
It is used as a snarl word to refer to a person who identifies as a liberal and/or supports liberal causes. Or, more aptly put — to anyone not sufficiently conservative, as measured by fans of Fox News personalities, or far right AM radio hosts.[note 1]
It is almost always people of low intelligence and/or maturity that refer to themselves as the "smart ones", trolls or political internet bots who use the term "libtard" in a non-ironic way to refer to other people, making the "tard" element of it a form of psychological projection. Furthermore, those who use it seem unaware that, instead of insulting their intended targets, they are actually being more offensive to people with intellectual disabilities, in the same way as using the r-word on its own would be.
- The corresponding neologism "conservatard" is nowhere near as widely used, despite being a somewhat smoother portmanteau due to the "t" in "conservative".
- "The Christian Left - Facebook". Facebook. 07/02/2015. https://www.facebook.com/TheChristianLeft/posts/984031508285653.
- Huppke, Rex (29 December 2016). "Column: Here's an offensive word we should retire right now". Chicago Tribune. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-libtard-huppke-20161229-story.html. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Mix and match for best results!
- Oppenheim, Maya (1 September 2017). "Far-right commentator gets 'schooled' by historian over George Orwell and Antifa". Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/far-right-antifa-george-orwell-paul-joseph-watson-historian-alt-right-left-wing-novelist-mike-a7924491.html. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- Moran, Lee (2 September 2017). "Twitter Users School Infowars Editor Over Claim That 'Orwell Rolls In His Grave' At Antifa". Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/infowars-editor-gets-owned-by-historian_us_59aa6035e4b0b5e530fee6c8. Retrieved 10 October 2017.