There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| We control what|
you think with
|Said and done|
|Jargon, buzzwords, slogans|
“”Anyone who uses the word "Libtard" has already demonstrated their level of intelligence, and it's nothing to write home about.
|—The Christian Left|
It is used as a snarl word to refer to a person who identifies as a liberal and/or supports liberal causes. Or, more aptly put — to anyone not sufficiently conservative, as measured by fans of Fox News personalities, or far right AM radio hosts.[note 1]
It is almost always people of low intelligence and/or maturity who use the term "libtard" in a non-ironic way to refer to other people, making the "tard" element of it a form of psychological projection. Furthermore, those who use it seem unaware that, instead of insulting their intended targets, they are actually being more offensive to people with intellectual disabilities, in the same way as using the r-word on its own would be.
- Interestingly and perhaps tellingly, the corresponding neologism "conservatard" is nowhere near as widely used, despite being a somewhat smoother portmanteau due to the "t" in "conservative".
- "The Christian Left - Facebook". Facebook. 07/02/2015. https://www.facebook.com/TheChristianLeft/posts/984031508285653.
- Huppke, Rex (29 December 2016). "Column: Here's an offensive word we should retire right now". Chicago Tribune. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-libtard-huppke-20161229-story.html. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Mix and match for best results!
- Oppenheim, Maya (1 September 2017). "Far-right commentator gets 'schooled' by historian over George Orwell and Antifa". Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/far-right-antifa-george-orwell-paul-joseph-watson-historian-alt-right-left-wing-novelist-mike-a7924491.html. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- Moran, Lee (2 September 2017). "Twitter Users School Infowars Editor Over Claim That 'Orwell Rolls In His Grave' At Antifa". Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/infowars-editor-gets-owned-by-historian_us_59aa6035e4b0b5e530fee6c8. Retrieved 10 October 2017.