|We control what|
you think with
|Said and done|
|Jargon, buzzwords, slogans|
“”The film is nothing more than the cart issues, wishes ramp and that lashbone, be hydrodash-tower, and cramp seven lash. Milbord zakt feebled-seven, tilsubatidemisemistupan.
|—Terry Bruge-Hiplo, Movie Reviews|
Word salad is a term applied to rants and ramblings that completely fly off the rails of normal grammar and meaning.
Sometimes it is technobabble too shabby to look even superficially convincing, but sometimes it doesn't obviously aim at anything at all. Sometimes it is calm, sometimes it is highly emotional. The term is also pejoratively used for statements void of any meaning, even when grammatically correct.
Not your typical deli salad
The most obvious example, of course, is the Time Cube website. Many other people manage to diverge into what "looks like" a human language, but on deeper exploration (called "reading") proves to be utter nonsense.
Someone's rant may be called "word salad" if their beliefs are so extreme that their screed appears nonsensical to the average person. Incels and members of the autistic dark web are examples of people whose manifestos may be dubbed word salad.
The New Age world is also famous for its many channeled world salads, in which various spiritual beings or often suspiciously human-looking aliens explain the secrets of the universe or just deliver loving pep talks, often mashing up all manner of deepity and technobabble and bold claims and predictions.
- An oncoming stroke (Call emergency services immediately)
- Brain damage
- Another potentially serious condition
Toxic word salads
"Word salad" can also colloquially refer to a type of gaslighting in which an abuser jumps rapidly from one topic to the next, making many accusations and moving on before the target can defend themselves. The goal is to deflect, confuse, and silence. While this is frequently described as an issue in abusers who have narcissistic personality disorder, any abuser (regardless of diagnosis) is capable of doing this.
This is different from typical word salad because the abuser's misuse of language is strategic. They are using it to browbeat someone, not attempting to earnestly express themselves (or just goof off).
Just having fun
Word salad generators are sometimes written by beginning programmers for the sake of amusement.
Some phrases could be cool band names
- The natural tennis rackets exterminate crappy flagellas
- Her transparent mouses scratch biased hub caps
- My American bananas shake lavish cauldrons
- His mysterious diamonds roll posh gasolines
- Their cool street signs untie spontaneous adjectives
- Full of sport mind & luxury feeling super potential winter wheel Iver
- Just a roller skate grand touring. All over the physical ironic power
- Quantum energy vibration frequencies
- Spiritual quantum energy fluctuations
- Quantum crystal vibration auras
- Argument by gibberish
- Birth Control Is Sinful In The Christian Marriages and also Robbing God Of Priesthood Children!!
- Dennis Markuze
- Dr. Bronner's Soap
- Francis E. Dec
- Argumentum ad tl;dr
- Green ink
- Management speak
- Speaking in tongues
- Time Cube
- Philosopher Pulls a Sokal on Theology Conferences — Two theology conferences mistook this intentional word salad for serious theology, see duping theologians. For the meaning behind "pulling a Sokal", see our article on the Sokal affair.
- Word salad
- How to Deal With Narcissistic Word Salad - Cherilyn Christen Clough
- What is the "word salad" that narcissists often use during conversations? - Quora