| Guide to:|
|Ideas and policies|
Mike Lee (1971–) is the Teabagger senior Senator from Utah, and the current chair of the Joint Economic Committee. During his campaign, he repeatedly promised to vote against the debt ceiling and possibly filibuster it. Sane people realized that if the bill to raise the debt ceiling did not pass, the US would likely have had to default on its debt, causing the country to lose its good credit and the dollar to be destroyed, ultimately leading to a global financial meltdown. Yet somehow his stance on this issue became popular with Utah voters. Guess it's worth sacrificing the world economy to balance the budget.
His term had barely begun when he denounced the following things as unconstitutional:
- Child labor laws
- Federal disaster relief
- Unemployment insurance
- Food safety laws
His other brilliant ideas include repealing the federal income tax and birthright citizenship. Recently he has shown that he wants to 'take down the government' with a harebrained scheme to solve the debt ceiling by passing a new Constitutional amendment in the span of less than two weeks. Surely one absolute whackjob of a senator can't do something like that though…
Lee claimed that climate change was a serious issue but then proposed a stupid idea to fix it, having more babies. Lee has in fact attempted to prevent anything that would seriously address climate change: he voted to limit the EPA's ability to regulate greenhouse gas emissions, he voted to make it harder for Congress to pass a carbon tax, and he urged Trump to withdraw from the Paris Climate Change Agreement. In 2016, Lee had claimed that the idea that climate change was settled science was a public-relations ploy, making Lee a denialist.
- One such instance of this stupidity in this PBS interview
- List here and hilarious/scary video
- Senator Junior DeMint, The New Republic
- Republican Senator admits that he wants to bring America down
- Utah Sen. Mike Lee endorses Greg Brannon in contested Senate primary
- Rand Paul-Backed GOP Senate Candidate Held Rally With Secessionist Group
- Washington Post: Senate passes short-term extension of Patriot Act provisions
- A senator's argument against the Green New Deal: A machine gun-toting Ronald Reagan riding a velociraptor by Allyson Chiu (March 27, 2019 at 6:37 AM) The Washington Post.
- U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 112th Congress United States Senate
- U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress
- The Republicans who urged Trump to pull out of Paris deal are big oil darlings. Twenty-two senators wrote a letter to the president when he was said to be on the fence about backing out. They received more than $10m from oil, gas and coal companies the past three election cycles by Tom McCarthy & Lauren Gambino (1 Jun 2017 06.00 EDT) The Guardian.
- Updates From Senator Lee's Office (May 31, 2016 - 8:45am) Sentinel News.