(Redirected from Parody religions)
| Preach to the choir|
|Crux of the matter|
|Speak of the devil|
|An act of faith|
A parody religion is a modern religion thought up to mock or ape the principles, beliefs, and self-righteousness of "real" religions — those in which people seriously believe.
List of parody religions
- Absolute Truth Ministries (ATM) - Weeds Season 3
- Bokononism (From the novel Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut)
- The Church of Emacs (See: Saint IGNUcius, FSF)
- The Church of Firefox
- Church of Google
- Church of the Helix Choir
- The Church Of Inglip
- Haruhiism (if you like anime)
- Church of Stop Shopping. An anti-consumerist "performance community" (read: cult) headed by "Reverend Billy" (no, not that Reverend Billy). They are extreme moonbats to say the least, and have ties to the food woo and anti-GMO movements (if protesting outside the Monsanto headquarters isn't enough).
- Church of the SubGenius
- Dudeism. A vaguely Daoist-esque religion based on the tenets of The Dude.
- The First Church of Pacman (click on the image to enter). Here's footage of Reverend Shoebox bible-thumping.
- Frisbeeterianism - Celebrates the universality and perfection of the shape of the frisbee. Adherents believe that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and no one can get it down.
- Gloomism (worship of the Pokemon Gloom as a god). Opposes Arceusology and calls Arceus a false god.
- The Great Space Butterfly
- the Church of Madoka. Haruhiism (see above) is Heresy. Madoka died for your sins.
- Helicalism/Helixism (worship of the Helix Fossil) and most of the many other Twitch Plays Pokemon-based religions
- Really Reformed Church of Wikipedia
- Scientology - uniquely on this list, its adherents don't know it.[note 1]
- Truffidianism - Jeff Vandermer's fantasy novel Finch
- Verdukianism - the "Secret Santa" episode of 30 Rock, Dec. 10, 2009
- Church of the God Emperor of Mankind/ecclesiarchy
Parody religions that can be taken seriously
- Church of Euthanasia
- Church of the SubGenius
- A credo for unhappy singles
- Scientology - unfortunately its adherents do.
- The Satanic Temple
Parody religions that are probably bad for your health
- Celestial Teapotism
- Kissing Hank's Ass
- Scientology - if you happen to need psychological or psychiatric help.
- Seriously. He started it for fun with some writer buddies.
- Unmasking Lucien Greaves, Leader of the Satanic Temple, Vice, Jul 30, 2013
- Trolling Hell: Is the Satanic Temple a Prank, the Start of a New Religious Movement — or Both?, Village Voice, July 22, 2014