There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| The dreams of man|
|Disturbing your sleep|
A parody religion is a modern religion thought up to mock or ape the principles, beliefs, and self-righteousness of "real" religions — those in which people seriously believe.
List of parody religions
- Absolute Truth Ministries (ATM) - Weeds Season 3
- Bokononism (From the novel Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut)
- The Church of Emacs (See: Saint IGNUcius, FSF)
- The Church of Firefox
- Church of Google
- Church of the Helix Choir
- The Church Of Inglip
- Church of Madoka (if you like anime and magical girls in general and Puella Magi Madoka Magica in particular)
- Church of Stop Shopping. An anti-consumerist performance group headed by "Reverend Billy" (no, not that Reverend Billy).
- Church of the SubGenius
- Dudeism. A vaguely Daoist-esque religion based on the tenets of The Dude.
- The First Church of Pacman (click on the image to enter). Here's footage of Reverend Shoebox bible-thumping.
- Frisbeeterianism - Celebrates the universality and perfection of the shape of the frisbee. Adherents believe that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and no one can get it down.
- Gloomism (worship of the Pokemon Gloom as a god). Opposes Arceusology and calls Arceus a false god.
- The Great Space Butterfly
- Haruhiism. The Church of Madoka (see above) is heresy. Haruhiism is the one true anime and magical girl based religion.
- Helicalism/Helixism (worship of the Helix Fossil) and most of the many other Twitch Plays Pokemon-based religions
- Really Reformed Church of Wikipedia
- Scientology - uniquely on this list, its adherents don't know it.
- Truffidianism - Jeff Vandermer's fantasy novel Finch
- Verdukianism - the "Secret Santa" episode of 30 Rock, Dec. 10, 2009
Parody religions that can be taken seriously
- Church of Euthanasia
- Church of the SubGenius
- A credo for unhappy singles
- Scientology - unfortunately its adherents do.
Parody religions that are probably bad for your health
- Celestial Teapotism
- Kissing Hank's Ass
- Scientology - if you happen to need psychological or psychiatric help.
- Seriously. He started it for fun with some writer buddies.