RationalWiki:2014 board of trustees election/Nominations
This is the page to nominate potential board members and for nominees to accept or reject their nomination. In order for a user to be nominated they must meet certain requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be a registered user for 1 year or longer on RationalWiki (Registered by January 15th, 2013)
- Have 250 edits or more
- Have at least 1 edit in the last 3 months
The nomination procedure is easy. Any user may nominate any number of users who meet the requirements, including themselves, by placing the user name in the nominee section and informing that user on their talk page. No second is required. Each nominee must accept the nomination or else they will not be eligible during the election.
Nominees may accept a nomination by adding their signature to it. Those who wish to decline nominations should strikeout the nomination with a brief note. Likewise, ineligible nominations should also be struckout.
Nominees should also "accept" their nominations to indicate their presence and awareness of this grand scheme.
The Board meets about once per quarter (or more often, as necessary), usually for two hours. Most of the business of board takes place over e-mail. Depending on the number of projects and the time of year board members should expect to spend a few hours a month reading, contributing and voting in these e-mail discussions.
Members do have certain powers and duties candidates should be aware of. Membership in the Board means being a corporate director of the RationalMedia Foundation, Inc. In general, corporate directors exercise the highest level of management and control over a corporation and are ultimately responsible for its governance and welfare. They appoint and supervise the Operations Manager, have the final word on the corporation's purpose and goals and ensure that it has adequate resources to carry them out, ensure compliance with the corporation's legal and ethical obligations, approve major expenditures, and respond to significant changes of circumstance in a timely manner. In practice, their job is generally supervisory, as they delegate authority to carry out the corporation's needs to the Operations Manager, who in turn may delegate further authority to his or her staff.
Directors must also conduct themselves in good faith and the corporation's best interests; exercise due diligence, independent judgment, and skill; prudently manage the corporation's resources; and generally promote the success of the corporation. This is of course only a general description.
To nominate link the user name:
To accept the nomination, indicate acceptance and then sign next to your user name:
An example rejection:
Nominees are encouraged to read the guide for board of trustees election before accepting or rejecting a nomination.
This year there are 5 positions open for election.
List of nominees
- Nutty Roux I accept and endorse Sterile, Gerard, PowderSmokeAndLeather, and Genghis Khant. I think they have a strong idea of what the board of directors of a corporation, in particular this one, should do, and understand the RMF's mission. 20:09, 6 February 2014 (UTC)
Reckless Noise SymphonyMuch thanks to PowderSmokeAndLeather for the nomination. However, I am afraid, I have outlived my usefulness on the Board. Furthermore, I will not have any time at all to participate this coming year, and would be a burden if I stayed on. I very much endorse Sterile, Human, David Gerard, and Nutty Roux for this honor. ListenerX and Stabby, should they run again, are also good picks. Reckless Noise Symphony (talk) 09:27, 29 January 2014 (UTC)
- User:Human accepted ħuman 02:23, 29 January 2014 (UTC)
- User:David Gerard - accepted - David Gerard (talk) 08:04, 29 January 2014 (UTC)
- User:AD - I accept. I have no particular desire for this responsibility, but will do my best if elected. I strongly endorse Gerard and Human.--talk 19:25, 1 February 2014 (UTC)
- Sterile Accept. talk 00:34, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- Stabby the Misanthrope — Accepted. Radioactive afikomen Please ignore all my awful pre-2014 comments. 13:12, 29 January 2014 (UTC)
- User:ListenerX — Accept. ListenerXTalkerX 07:50, 2 February 2014 (UTC)
- User:Osaka Sun
Bluedecline Blue Talk 09:40, 30 January 2014 (UTC) DickTurpisnot this time. DickTurpis (talk) 20:59, 11 February 2014 (UTC)
- Sophie Wilder - accept semi-reluctantly, in case the wrong lizard gets in. SophieWilder 15:26, 31 January 2014 (UTC)
ZooGuard- thank you, but no.--ZooGuard (talk) 15:07, 3 February 2014 (UTC) User:Bob MThank you, but no. I did my bit a couple of years ago.--Bob"I think you'll find it's more complicated than that." 20:16, 3 February 2014 (UTC)
User:PowderSmokeAndLeather -- Yes. PowderSmokeAndLeather (talk) 23:46, 14 February 2014 (UTC)
User:Genghis Khant- I see enough good names already. I don't feel that I can commit enough at the moment. ГенгисGum disease 16:45, 11 February 2014 (UTC)