Edit as of 8:14pm CST 7/1/12
- Salvador Allende Gossens (1908-1973) was a Chilean politician democratically elected as President of Chile from 1970 until his death in 1973 by suicide (he shot himself with a gold-engraved AK-47 given to him as a gift by Fidel Castro).
- Allende was a thorough, albeit weak, stooge of the KGB; and his insufficient brutality in moving swiftly to secure Soviet objectives in Latin American resulted in him being, anomalously among the entire pantheon of Soviet satellite tyrants prior to the fall of the Berlin Wall, the only one deposed by non-communist factions. Had he been more earnest in laying a Cuban-style truncheon across the napes of his domestic opposition in the Chilean Chamber of Deputies (such as, for instance, simply having them shot), it arguably would have resulted in an impotent body too frightened to pass the Resolution of August 22, 1973 authorizing his military removal for gross violations of the Chilean constitution (Allende's own KGB handler reported such weakness to Moscow).
- Three weeks after the passage of the Resolution, the Chilean military (headed by General Augusto Pinochet) swiftly wrested control of the country from Pinochet and his imported Cuban brownshirt army. Allende gave a self-serving radio speech from the presidential palace promising to fight on, then shot himself after sign-off as the military closed in -- presumably concluding that the heady glory of martyrdom was far more appealing than spending the rest of his life in prison, as well as the fact that a copper-jacketed 7.62 under the chin was guaranteed to do the job.
- Two days after legally ousting Allende, Pinochet declined to relinquish control of the country back to the legislature; and what is labelled as his "Coup" properly began at that point. (Legions of communist academics, including those ensconced at other Wiki encyclopedias, have spent the last forty years attempting to bury memory of the Deputies' Resolution, seeking to promote the historically false notion that Pinochet just decided to go kick Allende in the ass for no apparent reason at all other than that he like to someday run a country under an iron fist like that world-famous champion of free Potemkin health-care, Fidel Castro); they especially like to trump up the death statistics (some 5,000 over a period of 17 years) in the period of unrest following (in which Pinochet consolidated his control), apparently unaware that such a figure is below that of the murder rate of a typical American urban area, and well below that of a Cuban prison in which Che Guevara is executing homosexuals, or any random plot in Venezuela under latest commie heart-throb Hugo Chavez where the murder rate is in the five-digits per year.
- While Allende was opening the Latin gates to the Soviets, Richard Nixon specifically told the CIA to do something to get him out of power, but the Chilean Chamber of Deputies beat them to it before the CIA could do more than write a paper. In a twist of irony, the CIA might have wanted to overthrow Allende (a difficult prospect seeing as tanks and jet fighters are difficult to conceal under trench-coats), was beaten to the punch, but ended up getting blamed for it anyway.
References available upon request; I'll have to dig them out of the archives of commie-controlled Wikipedia where historically-accurate versions of this chapter of Latin history once briefly existed. Suffice to say that if you think any word of the above is bullshit, get prepared to look stupid when you're proven wrong.)--Bezzle (talk) 01:20, 2 July 2012 (UTC) --
- We clearly established Allende was an asshole. That gives the BoN no excuse to engage in his own historical revisionism about Pinochet.
- Allende an "asshole"? Bitch please! There was no Soviet "infiltration" in Chile. No Chilean was ever tortured/executed/"disappeared" under Allende's government! He is still regarded as one of the best Presidents in Chile's history (along with Pedro Aguirre Cerda, Jose Manuel Balmaceda and Eduardo Frei Montalva). I know that you Americans hate Socialism/Communism but, geez, get your facts straight! 22.214.171.124 (talk) 05:14, 1 March 2013 (UTC)
Main article is very incomplete, and make lots of assumptions out of known facts, this proposed article is utter bullshit. The KGB dispised him. The congress' resolution didn't allowed or authorized in anyway a far more grotesque overthrowing of the constitution. In his speech he said that he wasn't to leave the palace alive and that... "sooner than later" things would be better, Cubans carried on their own revolution, without URSS help, and had their own agenda, often arousing tensions with the URSS, since they had NO intention in stepping feet in Latinamerica. Guevarism was an off-shoot from Maoism, as all the insurrectional partisans. The sovietics only financed miniographers, at least in Chile, and send old, obsolete tractors as gifts of good will, and that was it. I see no point for an anti-communist rant in the rational wiki, that, simply, sounds to conservapedia. The parlament had no word over constitutional matters, that was the job of the constitutional assembly, and the motion passed had no legal support, instead, it pointed out vague terms, eventually referring to old non recurrent dispositions, rather to actual unconstitutional activity.
The Cuban army was an hoax, and there were no more than 40 members on the GAP, other than that, there were civilian conflicts and the unestructurated answer from the MIR and other minor insurrective movements that tried to fight the army with makeshift weaponry and their personal equipement (which they mostly acquired while serving for Cuba in international brigades on their own). The sovietic arsenal bought by the government to distance the army from the NATO remained unscatted (or else, there would had been a civil war, duh).
The CIA trained Contrera's, Matthei and Merino under the School of the Americas at Panama under the intern enemy doctrine (or whatever it's named in english), and throught the ITT and other american companies, they financed transportists strikes, planned to kill the main legetimist General (after whom came Pinochet), financed ultra-right movements, and the US closed relations and credits to the UP, which never had intentions to cut relations with the US, instead, they bought US citizens property overpriced, never recurrying to expropiation against them, whereas it did toward chilean citizens, and until the very last moment, relied on the US help for the development.
The article by GGM
This page on Allende is severely flawed. Gabriel Garcia Marquez wrote a much better review of Allende in 1974, after the coup at La Moneda. The only problem in GGM's article is the ending: we now (2013) know with high probability that Allende committed suicide. But on everything else, GGM is spot on.
Article could do with improvement - but Bezzle's contributions wasn't it
"Allende was a thorough, albeit weak, stooge of the KGB; and his insufficient brutality in moving swiftly to secure Soviet objectives in Latin American resulted in him being, anomalously among the entire pantheon of Soviet satellite tyrants prior to the fall of the Berlin Wall, the only one deposed by non-communist factions."
I hope this snippet makes it obvious why I thought it appropriate to undo all of Bezzle's changes and revert the article to its "pre-Bezzle" form.
the recent edit war reminded me that he is a mason http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/biography/allende_s/allende_s.html
Initiated : 16 November 1935 Passed : 27 October 1937
Lodge Progress No. 4, Valparaiso
Affiliated : 8 November 1940 Raised : 31 October 1945 Tyler : 1949 Worshipful Master : 1946, 1950-1951, 1953
Lodge Hiram No. 65, Santiago
Grand Lodge delegate : 1948
The idea that Allende was an antisemite (as one BoN has claimed) has been fairly well discredited I think, and anyone who thinks otherwise is going to have to contend with the evidence on this WP page: Criticisms of Salvador Allende. The idea that Allende had Jewish ancestry, which is also on this page, seems to be incorrect though. His mother was Basque (Uribe family), not Jewish. Bongolian (talk) 18:18, 19 December 2017 (UTC)