The 15 functions of Wikipedia
As it is coming up to WP's 15th birthday, what are its functions?
- The source of all (mis)information (both, at the same time, in the same article)
- Gresham's Law as applied to encyclopedias
- A point of first resort.
- A point of multiple resort (see all the websites copying from WP).
- A fruitful ground for Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells and their relatives.
- A fruitful source of complaints by 'nobody agrees with our (so off-beat they are out of tune) theorists.
- A (mis)quote mine.
What others? 126.96.36.199 (talk) 17:30, 12 January 2016 (UTC)
Wikipedia has '36 million articles' - could an approximate date be added (thus enabling other pedants to update it). Anna Livia (talk) 16:01, 11 September 2017 (UTC)
Well, I liked the nonsense
Hmmph. Making fun of wikipedia for being easily modified is kinda passe, but I miss those jokes. Nostalgia. ikanreed 🐐Bleat at me 18:48, 8 February 2019 (UTC)
- Classic humor never goes outta style. At least put The Encyclopedia Any Kid Can Vandalize back in. Millennium Scallion (talk) 20:17, 8 February 2019 (UTC)
Pedantry part 2
'As of 2015, Wikipedia boasts over 36 million articles in over 290 languages- 3 1/2 years later what are the current figures? Anna Livia (talk) 15:58, 22 May 2019 (UTC)
- There's currently 203 million content pages across the Wikimedia domains, but only 50 million articles on all versions of Wikipedia. — Dysk (contribs) 20:42, 22 May 2019 (UTC)
- I updated slightly but only used approximate figures because accuracy is a waste of time. --Annanoon (talk) 16:56, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
- So long as it is 'recent enough' a broad figure suffices. Anna Livia (talk) 17:29, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
Wasn't there a fuss a while back over the choice of image used when smallpox was a featured image?
English WP is about due for one of its 'Why is this (topic/image/whatever) on the Main Page - it is the end of the world as we know it' kerfuffles. Anna Livia (talk) 16:41, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
As of 2019
This sentence could probably be updated. Anna Livia (talk) 14:03, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
- @Anna Livia What's the full sentence? Spud (talk) 14:07, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
- Done. Christopher (talk) 14:12, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
- I gave the start of the sentence - would adding quotes and three dots be clearer? Anna Livia (talk) 15:48, 11 April 2021 (UTC)