| Inventing "The Other"|
|Fear And Loathing|
Terry Jones (1951–) is a nutty American Christian pastor currently based in Florida. He heads a small church, ironically called the "Dove World Outreach Center". Jones' and his church's main claim to fame is their threat to stage a mass burning of copies of the Qur'an to coincide with the anniversary of 9/11 attacks in 2010. The book-burning was condemned by other religious leaders in a rare show of unity, and Jones initially wussed out. Eventually, on March 20th, 2011 he went ahead and burned a Qur'an and posted it on the interweb. This set off a massive shitstorm that led to many deaths in Afghanistan, as pissed off Muslims at protests turned violent.
Expulsion from Germany
The first Qur'an burners might have been Muslims themselves. This burning, however, had initially been planned to go ahead on September 11th, 2010, coinciding with the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, but was canceled on the 9th after talks with Muhammad Musri of the Islamic Foundation of Central Florida. The rationale for canceling was an alleged agreement for moving the Park 51 site, although operators of that project have denied any knowledge of such an agreement. It later emerged that no such agreement was reached and the situation degenerated into confusion and farce. Fred Phelps and several others then announced they would stand in the gap for Jones and burn Korans if he didn't. By the time September 11th came around, Jones' church was swamped with the media and it became clear that the entire affair was turning into (if it wasn't from the start) a farcical publicity stunt, with many in the media wondering if it was even right to afford Jones the publicity in the first place. On March 20, 2011 he fucking showed us, though. Dressed in judge robes, he held a mock trial against the Qur'an and, not suprisingly, found it guilty of some very bad things. He did not bother to have a mock appeals process: he immediately proceeded to burn the Qur'an. This was all streamed on the Internet with helpful Arabic subtitles. This caused shit to blow up in Afghanistan. Protesters in Afghanistan were whipped into a frenzy by Muslim extremists; rioting ensued. Five demonstrators and seven UN workers were killed in protests in Mazar-e Sharif and at least nine killed and many more injured in Kandahar. Of course, none of the people killed by the protestors had anything to do with Terry Jones, his church, or any kind of book burning: they were innocent victims of religious extremism. Jones doesn't feel like he did anything over the top, though, and he is pondering putting Muhammad on trial.
Other creepy shit
In June 2012, he and his followers hung an effigy of Barack Obama in front of Dove World Outreach Center headquarters for all of the usual batshit crazy reasons. The irony of him doing so in a state where racially-motivated lynchings were once common probably didn't occur to him; that, or he simply doesn't give a shit.
In September 2012, he and a mysterious "Israeli real estate developer"/filmmaker purportedly named "Sam Bacile" (who turned out to actually be an Egyptian Christian Copt Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, notorious for drug convictions, tax evasion, and bank fraud) helped publicize a movie called Innocence of Muslims. The movie isn't much more than a collection of intentional slurs against Muhammad in particular and Islam in general. The release of a 14-minute YouTube clip had predictable results, namely violent demonstrations across the middle east. It was also blamed for the murder of US Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other American citizens in an attack on the 2012 Benghazi attack, but evidence would eventually show that the attack on Benghazi was actually premeditated. Jones' reaction was pretty much what you'd expect in terms of taking personal responsibility, which just means that he's graduated to an even higher level of the job classification "irresponsible douchebag".
- Islamophobe's Past in Germany: Terry Jones Accused of 'Spiritual Abuse' at Cologne Church
- The Original Burn the Quran Day
- BBC News - US pastor Terry Jones cancels Koran burning
- Fred Phelps sticks in his oar
- BBC News - Media swamp Florida church at centre of Koran row
- Washington Post - Florida pastor Terry Jones’s Koran burning has far-reaching effect
- Christian Science Monitor - Terry Jones: How free speech and Quran burning can lead to violence
- The Guardian - Terry Jones defiant despite murders in Afghanistan over Qur'an burning
- Koran-Hating Pastor Hangs Barack Obama In Effigy In Florida Church's Front Yard, The Smoking Gun
- [Gawker.com: archive.is, web.archive.org The Filmmaker Who Made the Anti-Islam Video That Sparked Violent Mideast Protests Is a Ghost,] Gawker
- Libya attack: Obama vows justice for killed US envoy, BBC News
- Benghazi Statement Office of the Director of National Intelligence. 28 Sept. 2012.
- [Gawker.com: archive.is, web.archive.org Florida Pastor Who Promoted Riot-Sparking Anti-Islam Film Unrepentant,] Gawker