| The colorful pseudoscience|
|Hating thy neighbour|
|Divide and conquer|
Mass immigration (or mass migration) is a favorite talking point of the anti-immigration right wing. It's very similar to the "support legal immigration, oppose illegal immigration" line: the idea is that "immigration is fine, but mass immigration is bad". In particular, the following claims are being made:
- White genocide: Whites are being replaced with nonwhites.
- Political conspiracy: Conservatives are being replaced with liberals.
- Educational downgrade: Educated folk are being replaced with uneducated folk.
- Religious suicide: Christians are being replaced with Muslims.
- Cultural suicide: Patriots of [country] are being replaced with foreigners who don't accept the [country]'s culture.
- Crime-seekers: Immigrants are thugs!
High levels of immigration certainly do affect societies; however, current levels of immigration into Western countries are not nearly high enough to "destroy" them.
Too many immigrants
Even though the absolute number of immigrants to the United States is higher than ever before, the current number of immigrants per capita is approximately equal to the historical average for the US:
Is it actually harmful?
Of course the question is even if there is "mass immigration" on an "unprecedented scale" (which clearly, there isn't) the question whether this is actually a bad thing has to be asked. Judging by all the O'Reillys and DiLorenzos who make those arguments today, immigration in the past certainly has not destroyed America's most enduring characteristic: Immigrants bitching about the people on the next boat arriving in the harbor.
Opposition to mass immigration is something that apparently every right-winger can get behind.
- Right-wing terrorist Anders Breivik wrote about a "cultural and demographic war waged by mass immigration against native Europeans".
- Neo-Nazi websites Stormfront, The Daily Stormer, and The Right Stuff all get some of the clickbait action.
- Meme-Nazi wonderboy Richard Spencer, former Klansman David Duke, and "traditionalist" Matthew Heimbach all love to whine about mass immigration.
- Race realists at Human Varieties, VDARE, and American Renaissance each take strong, principled stances against letting in those filthy nonwhites.
- Conspiracy nutters Infowars, Paul Joseph Watson, and Mike Cernovich all express hatred against mass immigration.
- Religious fundamentalists Pat Buchanan, Theodore Beale, and Lauren Southern all fight mass immigration.
The bitter irony is that the only way a mass migration — as spoken of by fear-mongers — could happen is because of another thing many wingnuts deny… a thing called climate change. Climate change — via such delights as desertification and water shortages — is slowly but increasingly costing some of the poorest nations their inhabitability, and will likely cause multiple global exoduses unseen in human history as it begins to affect countries rich and poor. Another issue is that many of these countries, such as Syria, are already so war-torn that their governments can do very little to stop emigration. By the time climate refugees reach the US (itself desertification-prone) and southern Europe, the exodus may be so huge that the host nations actually may have difficulty supporting it (even without taking over Greenland). The deserted countries would probably have their Mad Max-style dystopian remains conquered by extremist groups such as the Taliban and ISIS, with virtually no governing bodies to stop them.
- White genocide
- Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white
- Illegal immigration
- The Great Replacement
- See the Wikipedia article on desertification.
- See the Wikipedia article on water scarcity.
- Kerr, Julie (2017). Introduction to Energy and Climate: Developing a Sustainable Environment. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press. ISBN 9781498774420. https://books.google.com/books?id=6UIwDwAAQBAJ. Retrieved 10 September 2019. "It is predicted that by 2100, … climate change will increase the area of desert climates by 17 percent, meaning more areas at risk of desertification. Worldwide, about 12 million hectares become useless for cultivation each year…"
- See the Wikipedia article on climate refugee.
- See the Wikipedia article on Dust Bowl.