| The colorful pseudoscience|
|Hating thy neighbour|
|Divide and conquer|
Mass immigration (or mass migration) is a favorite talking point of the anti-immigration right and the racist right. It's very similar to the "support legal immigration, oppose illegal immigration" line: the idea is that "immigration is fine, but mass immigration is bad". In particular, the following claims are being made:
- White genocide: Whites are being replaced with nonwhites.
- Political conspiracy: Conservatives are being replaced with liberals.
- Educational downgrade: Educated folk are being replaced with uneducated folk.
- Religious suicide: Christians are being replaced with Muslims.
- Cultural suicide: Patriots of [country] are being replaced with foreigners who don't accept [country] culture.
- Crime-seekers: Immigrants are thugs!
High levels of immigration certainly do affect societies; however, current levels of immigration into Western countries are not nearly high enough to "destroy" them.
Too many immigrants
Ther takin' our jerbs!
Even though the absolute number of immigrants to the United States is higher than ever before, the current number of immigrants per capita is approximately equal to the historical average for the US:
Is it actually harmful?
Of course the question is even if there is "mass immigration" on an "unprecedented scale" (which clearly, there isn't) the question whether this is actually a bad thing has to be asked. Judging by all the O'Reillys and DiLorenzos who make those arguments today, immigration in the past certainly has not destroyed America's most enduring characteristic: Immigrants bitching about the people on the next boat arriving in the harbor.
Opposition to mass immigration is something that apparently every right-winger can get behind.
- Right-wing terrorist Anders Breivik wrote about a "cultural and demographic war waged by mass immigration against native Europeans".
- Neo-Nazi websites Stormfront, The Daily Stormer, and The Right Stuff all get some of the clickbait action.
- Meme-Nazi wonderboy Richard Spencer, former Klansman David Duke, and "traditionalist" Matthew Heimbach all love to whine about mass immigration.
- Race realists at Human Varieties, VDARE, and American Renaissance each take strong, principled stances against letting in those filthy nonwhites.
- Conspiracy nutters Alex Jones, Paul Joseph Watson, and Mike Cernovich all explain how mass immigration is a globalist plot.
- Religious fundamentalists Pat Buchanan, Theodore Beale, and Lauren Southern all fight mass immigration.
The bitter irony is that the only way a mass migration spoken of by fear-mongerers could happen is because of another thing many wingnuts deny...a thing called climate change. Climate change is slowly costing some of the poorest nations their inhabitability, which will likely cause a global exodus unseen in human history as it begins to affect countries rich and poor. Another issue is that many of these countries, such as Syria, are already so war-torn that their governments can do very little to stop the migration. By the time it reaches the US and southern Europe, the exodus may be so huge that the nations actually can't support it. The deserted countries would probably have their remains conquered by extremist groups such as the Taliban and ISIS, with virtually no governing bodies to stop them.