|Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
Cognitive infiltration is a term coined by Cass Sunstein and Adrian Vermeule to refer to the use of government and third party "cognitive" provocateurs and front groups to "infiltrate" social networks, other online groups, and "real life" groups built around conspiracy theories. They use the term mostly in reference to the 9/11 conspiracist subculture. In response, David Ray Griffin wrote a book entitled Cognitive Infiltration, once again railing against the "official conspiracy theory". Critics have noted that various aspects of this strategy are illegal and similar to the FBI's COINTELPRO and the Bush administration's use of "independent analysts" and paid-off pundits. Truthers can now write off anyone who debunks their conspiracy theories as merely "cognitive infiltrators" (which they have done before, though). The tendrils of cognitive infiltration have wound their way into every aspect of society — even Wikileaks is an attempt at cognitive infiltration by Sunstein through the use of the limited hangout!
- Sunstein and Vermeule. Conspiracy Theories. Harvard Public Law Working Paper 08-03, Jan. 15 2008.
- Cognitive Infiltration, davidraygriffin.com
- Obama Staffer Wants 'Cognitive Infiltration' of 9/11 Conspiracy Groups, Raw Story
- Obama Confidant's Spine-Chilling Proposal, Glenn Greenwald
- Wikileaks is the Cognitive Infiltration Operation Demanded by Cass Sunstein, The Intel Hub