| The colorful pseudoscience|
|Hating thy neighbour|
|Divide and conquer|
| Frogs and swastikas|
|Their loud fanboys|
“”... a secret conference on “intelligence”, featuring notorious speakers including in previous years white supremacists and a weird far-right paedophilia apologist called Emil.
|—Stewart Lee, The Guardian|
“”Meeting with an emblematic figure of the "fake science", the Danish Emil Kirkegaard, new darling of the extreme right...
|—Judith Duportail, Le Temps|
Emil Ole William Kirkegaard (online aliases: Deleet, Deleetdk, EmilOWK) is a Danish paedophilia apologist whose defence of child-rape was exposed by mainstream news sources in January 2018. Kirkegaard is associated with the alt-right and has been described by Le Temps as a far-right extremist who publishes "fake science" about racialism and eugenics; he is quoted as trying to prove human races are innately unequal in IQ.
From 2014–2017 Kirkegaard attended the London Conference on Intelligence at University College London (UCL) with white supremacists and neo-Nazis to deliver pseudoscientific lectures on controversial IQ-related subjects, including race and intelligence. Because peer-reviewed science journals tend to reject his submissions, he co-founded the OpenPsych pseudojournals with Davide Piffer to publish his own pseudoscience. His self-published journals primarily attract racists and anti-Semites such as Kevin MacDonald and John Fuerst; the latter has co-written papers with Kirkegaard.
- 1 Background
- 2 Alt right
- 3 Paedophilia controversies
- 4 Other controversies
- 5 OpenPsych
- 6 Stopped-clock
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Kirkegaard was born in Denmark in 1989, but is an immigrant to the US; ironically, he claims to oppose immigration. Although describing himself as all sorts of things from a "polymath", "scientist", "geneticist" and "psychologist" to sound smart, his only qualification is a BA in Linguistics from Aarhus University. He's been a member of three technocratic Danish political parties: Piratpartiet (Pirate Party) 2012-2014, Internetpartiet (Internet Party), 2015 and Technologipartiet (Technology Party) 2016-present; he co-founded the latter party and also describes it as a think-tank.
On Facebook, Kirkegaard says he is a research fellow at the Ulster Institute for Social Research. This institute founded by Richard Lynn has received grants from the far-right Pioneer Fund and publishes the pseudo-scholarly racist journal Mankind Quarterly, described as white supremacist by SPLC.
According to investigate journalism by The Canary:
Between 2002 and 2006, the UISR was bankrolled by the ‘extremist’ Pioneer Fund to the tune of $286,372. And in response to a query by The Canary, Lynn confirmed that the UISR was financed in this way. Lynn, who has been the president of the Pioneer Fund since 2012, told The Canary he could not provide precise figures.
But we can. Indeed, the fund’s support of the UISR began as far back as 1971, with grants totalling $609,000 up to 1996.
According to the SPLC: "the Pioneer Fund’s original mandate was to pursue ‘race betterment’ by promoting the genetic stock of those ‘deemed to be descended predominantly from white persons’.It’s also claimed that the Pioneer Fund supported several well known white supremacists. These include David Duke (former Grand Wizard, Ku Klux Klan); Richard Spencer (agitator at the Charlottesville action that saw the tragic death of a civil rights protester); and Nick Griffin (former head of the British National Party).
Kirkegaard's political views are alt-right, but he tries to disguise his white nationalism, racism and anti-Semitism because he wants a scientific reputation. Although he denies he is a white nationalist or alt-right, he is known to sometimes slip-up; for example in one Tweet he classifies his own blog as alt-right, with websites like VDARE and The Right Stuff in response to a post by Anatoly Karlin. Kirkegaard also uses alt-right glossary terms:
On Twitter, Kirkegaard spends most his time moaning about so-called SJWs and feminists; he praises Trump and uses alt-right memes. He has also described a promotional video of the alt-right with swastikas as "nicely done". Kirkegaard posts on the anti-Semitic website UNZ Review.
Kirkegaard supports the anti-Semitic theories and literature of Kevin MacDonald and has links to Holocaust deniers, including Peter Sweden. MacDonald has been described by the Southern Poverty Law Center as the "neo-Nazi movement's favorite academic".
“”Emil Kirkegaard, who has written supportively of paedophiles being allowed to have ‘sex with a sleeping child’.
|—Sophia Siddiqui, Institute of Race Relations|
Kirkegaard has been described in mainstream and other news sources as a child-rape apologist and defender of paedophilia. This comes from a 2012 blog post in which he makes a sickening compromise for paedophiles — to rape children while they sleep:
Perhaps a compromise is having sex with a sleeping child without them knowing it (so, using sleeping medicine). If they dont[sic] notice it is difficult to see how they cud[sic] be harmed, even if it is rape.
In the same blog post, Kirkegaard defends paedophilia, by writing:
One can have sex with some rather young ones (say, any consenting child in puberty) without any moral problems.
Children in puberty are as young as 11–12 years-old; in other words Kirkegaard literally supports adults having sex with children, who while not pre-pubescent are still under the age of consent.
In response to newspapers (e.g. The Guardian) quoting his post and describing him as paedophilia apologist, Kirkegaard updated it in January 2018, claiming his post was only a "thought experiment"; however, this was never mentioned originally and looks like damage control to his reputation.
In August 2017, when questioned about his compromise for paedophiles to rape sleeping children, Kirkegaard defended his original statement and said he thinks there will be no mental harm:
My remark was simply that if you have sex with someone [children] while they are asleep and somehow don’t wake up from it and they never discover it later somehow, it is not likely for there to be any causal effects on mental health. How would there be?
Animated child porn
Kirkegaard disturbingly supports possession of animated (cartoon) child pornography, that is illegal in most countries. In 2010, he wrote a blog post defending animated child porn and criticized Sweden and Norway for having laws against it.
Kirkegaard describes himself as a "major proponent of drug legalization". He has written that "all drugs should be legalized, regularized and taxed. The more harmful ones (e.g. cocain[sic]) will only be sold to older persons and at special outlets." The Internetpartiet he was a member of, aimed to legalize cannabis, doping and all illegal drugs.
In 2016, Kirkegaard published the data of nearly 70,000 OkCupid users, as a study in one of his own pseudojournals. Although Kirkegaard claims he was publishing already public information, this is disputed by others who argue the information was "semi-private":
Moreover, it remains unclear whether the OkCupid profiles scraped by Kirkegaard’s team really were publicly accessible. Their paper reveals that initially they designed a bot to scrape profile data, but that this first method was dropped because it was “a decidedly non-random approach to find users to scrape because it selected users that were suggested to the profile the bot was using.” This implies that the researchers created an OkCupid profile from which to access the data and run the scraping bot. Since OkCupid users have the option to restrict the visibility of their profiles to logged-in users only, it is likely the researchers collected—and subsequently released—profiles that were intended to not be publicly viewable. The final methodology used to access the data is not fully explained in the article, and the question of whether the researchers respected the privacy intentions of 70,000 people who used OkCupid remains unanswered.
Piratpartiet and "Nazi sympathiser"
In 2012-2013 there was a campaign by Danish Antifascist Action to expel Kirkegaard from the Piratpartiet (Pirate Party) after they discovered he had tried to forge political ties to the far-right Danish People's Party, had made racist and anti-immigration posts on the Piratpartiet forum and took a photo of himself next to his friend performing a Nazi-salute, while writing an insensitive comment about being the Führer. An article appeared on the Project Antifa website describing Kirkegaard as a "Nazi Sympathiser":
Emil Kirkegaard, has access to questions about racism and nazism, as you may only find, yes, Nazi groups. At the Pirate Party's forum he writes "If one's immigration consists primarily of low intelligent people, then it will be very, very expensive for the country. And that's exactly what we see in the western countries now." Both Emil Kirkegaard and several other party activists defend cooperation with the Danish [People's] Party. At the same time, Emil Kirkegaard's Facebook can see a photo where an unknown person is in the background, while Emil Kirkegaard is smiling at the camera. Emil Kirkegaard's comment reads: "The Führer is being hailed/saluted".
Defence of Southern and Pettibone
“”UK priorities: detain and ban 2 internet journalist girls, while ignoring massive rape ring of their own daughters by immigrants. I guess their priorities are quite consistent: Fuck White Women.
It has been noted that Kirkegaard is "popular with the neo-Nazi forum Stormfront". A 2017 Stormfront thread that quotes Kirkegaard's comments about eugenics describes him as "racially awakened". However, another thread while praising Kirkegaard's support for white nationalism, criticizes his "pro-paedophilia".
Race, IQ and eugenics
Kirkegaard identifies as a "race realist" and is proponent of HBD (human-biodiversity), similar to Hbdchick and Steve Sailer. Against the scientific consensus race is not an accurate way to describe or analyse human biological variation, Kirkegaard erroneously argues human races are valid biological constructs (as genetic clusters):
I think one can just read the various existing defenses of race realism if one is curious. The page you link to is well-sourced but an exercise in semantics and irrelevance. E.g. section Genetic evidence: Race does not predict human variation well presents results irrelevant to the title, it is well accepted that most variation is within the major racial groups. It does not follow from this that the between group variation is unimportant. Indeed, even very small differences can make a large difference, as people with mutations in e.g. SRY can report. It does not matter so much to me whether these groups are called races, genetic clusters, biogeographical ancestry or whatever (the most common euphemism in medical genetics).
Kirkegaard, a supporter of hereditarianism argues human populations are innately unequal in intelligence; he is quoted in a Le Temps article as saying: "inequalities between humans... I do not think they depend solely on their environment or their education". On his blog, Kirkegaard recommends outdated racialist literature such as John Baker's Race (1974) and in 2015 positively reviewed the far-right Metapedia article on race and intelligence.
Despite Kirkegaard's insistence otherwise, OpenPsych and its journals are pseudojournals: they do not use traditional peer review and are filled with Kirkegaard's publications. For example the OpenPsych journals show typical signs of a pseudojournal: high percentage of content written by one of the journal's creator, Kirkegaard himself. As of 13 January 2018:
- Kirkegaard wrote for 18 out of the 32 papers in Open Differential Psychology
- Kirkegaard wrote for 1 out of the 7 papers in Open Behavioral Genetics
- Kirkegaard wrote for 8 out of the 11 papers in Open Quantitative Sociology & Political Science
Kirkegaard was an author for 27 of 50 total papers, or 54%.
According to Kirkegaard, his journals do have peer review:
OpenPsych journals do have peer review. In fact, they have open peer review meaning that literally anyone can see the review of any paper. For instance, look in the post-publication forum for the reviews of all published papers. I think this is a much better and certainly more transparent review than journals ordinarily practice. My status as editor has little impact on this system, since editors do not have rejection powers in these journals. Nor can they select reviewers at whim. Rather all in-house reviewers can review any paper they desire. The role of the editor is mainly to smooth things by asking reviewers whether they have time to review this or that submission.
Kirkegaard had the sense to ban Mikemikev from his forum OpenPsych for anti-Semitism. However, if Kirkegaard was really against hating Jews, he wouldn't be re-tweeting neo-Nazis and Holocaust deniers, nor be pictured smiling next to a Nazi saluting friend...
|If a link below does not work: Try the [a w] links to go to archive.is and web.archive.org respectively.|
- Wikipedia account
- Reddit account
- UCL launches 'eugenics' probe after it emerges academic held controversial conference for three years on campus. The Telegraph.
- University to investigate secret eugenics conference on campus attended by Toby Young. International Business Times.
- University investigates ‘racist’ eugenics conference held on campus since 2014. The Metro.
- UCL to investigate eugenics conference secretly held on campus. The Guardian.
- Dans le laboratoire de la «fake science». Le Temps:
The scientific version of the alt-right: Since 2010, Emil Kirkegaard uses his skills to analyze all the data he finds online in order to scientifically prove a supposed genetic hierarchy between humans. With Westerners and Asians at the top of the pyramid, Africans and others at the bottom. "It is the scientific version of the alt-right, this ultra-right-wing supremacist American movement," explains Paul-Olivier Dehaye, a mathematician and co-founder of Personaldata.io. Kirkegaard denies marrying the theses. "I'm just trying to understand the basis of the inequalities between humans, and I do not think they depend solely on their environment or their education".
- UCL conference probed over white supremacist talk. Morning Star.
- University College London launches 'eugenics' probe after controversial conference secretly held on campus. The Independent.
- Exposed: London’s eugenics conference and its neo-Nazi links. London Student.
- University College London under fire over its conferences on ‘eugenics’. The Times.
- About Me: Emil Kirkegaard
- Screenshot. Twitter. 24 Jan 2018.
- , emilkirkegaard.dk
- Screenshot (web.archive.org)
- Technology Party: Background
- Emil Kirkegaard. Facebook (screenshot).
- In Response to Critics, Toby Young ma have dug an even bigger hole for himself. The Canary.
- Your Links to white nationalists and neo-Nazis.
- Twitter. 21 Oct 2017.
- On Unz Review, Karlin describes his own and Kirkegaard's views as "Intellectual Dissident Right".
- Twitter. 26 Mar 2018.
- Twitter. 18 Mar 2018.
- It has been noted that on Twitter: "In Emil OW Kirkegaard's self-description: 'hbd' = human biodiversity (euphemism for scientific racism) and his header has photos of Arthur Jensen and Galton".
- Examples: 1, 2.
- Twitter. 30 March 2018.
- See this example (screenshot).
- Screenshot 1 and 2.
- Emil Kirkegaard
- Tweet. 19 Mar 2018. (archive.is)
- Screenshot. Twitter.
- Kevin MacDonald. Southern Poverty Law Center.
- Shamed Toby Young attended secret eugenics conference with neo-nazis and pedophiles. RT.
- Support for eugenics never really went away, but this is how it's becoming mainstream again. The Independent.
- UCL launches probe into eugenics conference held on campus. Oxford Student.
- Secret Eugenics Conference Held on Prominent U.K. University Campus For Years. Complex.
- Last Week In Politics. UK Blasting News.
- Toby Young spoke alongside Nazi who argues raping unconscious children is fine. Evolve Politics:
Emil Kirkegaard [...] defended paedophilia suggesting that drugging the child before sex might be a "compromise" as they were unlikely to know it had happened and therefore wouldn’t be harmed. He has also advocated a "frank discussion of paedophilia related issues".
- UCL to investigate eugenics conference secretly held on campus. The Viral World.
- The Ban on child porn possession (original version)
- How Toby Young Got Where He Isn't Today. The Guardian.
- The Ban on child porn possession (revised version January 2018).
- Talk:Emil O. W. Kirkegaard
- On the prohibition of animated child pornography.
- THC and driving: Causal modeling and statistical controls
- Pirate Times: Pirate Policies on Drugs.
- OkCupid dataset.
- Researchers Caused an Uproar By Publishing Data from 70000 OkCupid users. Fortune.
- OkCupid Study Reveals the Perils of Big-Data Science. Wired.
- Nazi sympathizer in Pirate Party. Project Antifa Denmark ().
- London Conference on Intelligence exposes link between academic promotion of eugenics and Conservative right. World Socialist Web Site.
- The latest news on IQ and eugenics. Stormfront.
- Screenshot. Twitter. 23 Jan 2018.
- What exactly is Human Biodiversity? – Personal view
- Biological races; differences between groups/populations: reading material
- Racialism as Pseudoscience
- The hereditarian hypothesis is almost certainly true
- Dans le laboratoire de la «fake science». Le Temps.
- Review: Race (John Baker).
- Review of Metapedia’s Race and Intelligence
- , Clear Language Clear Mind
- , YouTube
- , /r/SlateStarCodex
- Criticism of me and my research on SlateStarCodex’s subreddit
- Inaccuracies in Rationalwiki’s page about me
- , Open Psych
- , Open Psych
- , Open Psych
- Banned users
- Screenshots, see Peter Sweden and Mark Collett.