| Join the party!|
|Opiates for the masses|
Enver Hoxha (pron. En-vair Hode-ja) was the
Jedi Stalinist dictator of Albania (from 1944-1985) and author of many[note 1] unreadable exercises in doctrinaire hairsplitting like Eurocommunism is Anti-Communism. In his paranoia he had an annoying tendency to turn on and denounce his former allies as being anti-Communist dupes and revisionists, which he did first with Yugoslavia, then the Soviet Union, and finally with his sole remaining ally China. As a result, Albania was led into isolation from the rest of the world, and for much of his reign was the poorest country in Europe. He also really fucking loved bunkers. In fact, a bunker is nowadays the Albanian equivalent of the backseat of a car in America when it comes to losing one's virginity.
Along with Romania, Albania was one of the most bizarre eastern European dictatorships. They banned bell bottoms, for example. They also banned beards so the Muslims and Catholics couldn't tell each other apart. They also tried, tortured, and executed many clergy and believers. He took Karl Marx "opiate of the masses" line to its logical conclusion and brutally persecuted religion in Albania. These campaigns against religion were unsuccessful and probably were counterproductive.
- See the Wikipedia article on Bunkers in Albania.
- See the Wikipedia article on Enver Hoxha.
- See the Wikipedia article on Hoxhaism.
- Hoxha is responsible for 68 volumes of dreck!:250-252
- "Enver Hoxha".
- Daniel Kalder (2018). The Infernal Library: On Dictators, the Books They Wrote, and Other Catastrophes of Literacy. Henry Holt and Company. ISBN 1627793429.
- Enver Hoxha (1980). Eurocommunism Is Anti-Communism. Norman Bethune Institute. ISBN 0888030908.
- "Hoxha's Antireligious Campaign".
- "The Revival of Religion".