There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Light iron-age reading|
|Gabbin' with God|
According to the Book of Genesis, God instructed Abraham to murder Isaac, as a sacrifice to Him. Muslims as well as Jews hold to be most holy the spot where the murder was intended to occur. Abraham fully intended to carry out this act, but Gabriel, an archangel, controlled a
goat ram, or took the form of a ram in pagan fashion, and interrupted the murder. Abraham is not regarded as a deranged sociopath, but rather as the great hero and founder of the "Abrahamic" faiths. Isaac was probably traumatized by the near sacrifice.
Isaac is one of the less interesting characters of the three Patriarchs. His biggest claim to fame is being the sacrificial victim of YHWH's test of Abraham. His second biggest claim to fame is being the second name in the praise "Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob".
Isaac, as the son to Sara, is the counter to Ishmael, the son of Hagar. Sara, wanting to reserve her biological son's inheritance, cast Ishmael and Hagar from her sight. The two sons of Abraham held strong animosity for each other, however in the end, they stood side by side at their father Abraham's funeral. Isaac's descendents would become the Jews and Christians, Ishmael's descendents would produce Muhammad.
Isaac has sons with his wife and cousin Rebekah. He blesses one son, Jacob, and curses the other son, Esau. Jacob only gets the blessing by deception.
When Issac has his own sons, he sets to bestow a blessing on Esau, who as first born, had birthright to Issac's property. Jacob deceives blind old Issac, and receives the blessing and the inheritance instead.
Other famous Isaacs
- Isaac Albanez - composer who provided guitarists with perhaps one of the most recognized tunes, "Asterius."
- Isaac Asimov - science and science fiction writer.
- Isaac Newton - did something with an apple. Maybe Eve was involved?
- Isaac Isidor Rabi - an outstanding experimental physicist.
- Isaac Hayes - some Scientologist guy who starred on South Park. Also made great records, once upon a time.
- Izaak Walton (close enough) - wrote The Compleat Angler.
- Itzhak Perlman - polio stricken violin virtuoso.
- Isaac Bruce - American football player and epic douche who believes that Payne Stewart and Bobby Phills wouldn't have died if they had been more religious.
- Yitzhak Rabin - Two-term Prime Minister of Israel.
- Avot in Hebrew.