| Inventing "The Other"|
|Fear And Loathing|
Riposte Laïque ("Secular Response") is a French political movement and website.
Their web description is "for the defense of secularism and mutual tolerance principles"[note 1]. Defending secularism can't be a bad thing, right ? Except when they say "secularism", what they really mean is "batshit crazy Islamophobia". That is, the kind of Islamophobia that would make even Sam Harris shiver.
For example, they deny that moderate Muslims even exist : they're either radical Muslims or lying radical Muslims using "Taqiyya" to cover up their real intentions. Also, due to their general far-right craziness, they've been more than once condemned by French courts for inciting hate speech. Despite this, they very occasionally supported Muslims when their views happened to align with theirs.
Even though France's version of secularism (laïcité) tends to be viewed as rigid and illiberal by American standards, most French analysts have found them to be hypocritical and far-right-leaning.
Riposte Laïque began in 2007 as a website with a hardline secularist stance (even for France) and a focus on Islam - against the Islamic veil for instance - but was still genuinely secular and progressive in some other matters, quite articulate in its views (unlike the hysterical far-right style the site is known for today) and occasionally critical of other religions, including Christianity. Their descent into madness took only a couple of years, the turning point being cooperation with notoriously racist far-right organizations and participation to events that targeted Muslim cultural practices as a whole.
They're not even that "secular", really : for example, many of them explicitly and repeatedly wrote they're out to defend France's Christian roots, or even pagan roots when they deem Christianity to be too close to Islam. Also, they tend to have socially conservative views, and many, if not most of them, opposed same-sex marriage, for instance.
- Official website (in French)
- "pour la défense de la laicite et des principes de tolerance mutuelle" in French.
- http://ripostelaique.com/L-islam-n-est-pas-une-religion.html "One shouldn't be surprised when a Muslim lies by omission or by action, dissimulates or falsifies, because it's a quranical prescription. Indeed, when it comes to developping Islam, all shots are allowed. "Taqqya" (sic), which means "dissimulation", is a duty for believers in inferiority. However, as soon as the balance of power is reversed, the Muslim can consider aggression."
- An example here : http://ripostelaique.com/tareq-oubrou-serait-premier-ministre-dali-juppe.html
- An example here : http://www.gaucherepublicaine.org/respublica/riposte-laique-analyse-dune-strategie/808
- http://ripostelaique.com/?s=donald+trump Which, in light of recent comments, means they're so much racist towards Muslims they're ready to support someone who's racist towards the French.
- That is, until the first American airstrikes in Syria, like a large part of the pro-Putain far-right.