| Inventing "The Other"|
|Fear And Loathing|
Riposte Laïque ("Secular Retaliation") is a French political movement and website.
Their web description is "for the defense of secularism and mutual tolerance principles"[note 1]. Defending secularism can't be a bad thing, right? When you peel off the thin paint, they can't be further from the truth of "mutual tolerance principles; they really are Islamophobes who hold views that echo right-wing nationalism and other far-right bigotry. Their Islamophobia would make even Sam Harris shiver.[note 2]
For example, they deny that moderate Muslims even exist : they're either radical Muslims or lying radical Muslims using "Taqiyya" to cover up their real intentions. Also, due to their general far-right craziness, they've been more than once condemned by French courts for inciting hate speech. Despite this, they very occasionally supported Muslims when their views happened to align with theirs.
Even though France's version of secularism, laïcité or total separation of church and state, would sound left-leaning to the American religious right, most French analysts have found the movement to be hypocritical and far-right-leaning.
Riposte Laïque began in 2007 as a website with a hardline secularist stance (even for France) and a focus on Islam - against the Islamic veil for instance - but was still genuinely secular and progressive in some other matters, quite articulate in its views (unlike the hysterical far-right style the site is known for today) and occasionally critical of other religions, including Christianity. Their descent into madness took only a couple of years, the turning point being cooperation with notoriously racist far-right organizations and participation to events that targeted Muslim cultural practices as a whole.
They're not even that "secular", really : for example, many of them explicitly and repeatedly wrote they're out to defend France's Christian roots, or even pagan roots when they deem Christianity to be too close to Islam. Also, they tend to have socially conservative views, and many, if not most of them, opposed same-sex marriage, for instance ; some of their members and contributors are either homophobes believing in the théorie du genre (gender theory)[note 3] or denounce the hate of some Muslims against the
homosexuals SODOMITES OF THE DEVIIIL! for their own gains.
As said above, they believes all Muslims are radical and hiding their real intentions.
They also believe in the Grand Remplacement, a French conspiracy theory created by French far-right
nutcase writer Renaud Camus and unsurprisingly, opposes immigration as a result.
They believe that immigration is...The cause of the loss of I.Q. in France and they believe in Eurabia...
They are experts in hoaxes and Photoshop, using an image in which a mere video game critic is turned into a radical Muslim... Their hoaxes are frequently attacked by the Debunkers des hoax d'extrême-droite (Far-right hoaxes debunkers).
- "pour la défense de la laïcité et des principes de tolerance mutuelle" in French.
- They don't even try to hide it.
- Spoiler alert: that theory doesn't exist
- YET a Catholic fundamentalist managed to call Riposte Laïque a Masonic sect...
- http://ripostelaique.com/L-islam-n-est-pas-une-religion.html "One shouldn't be surprised when a Muslim lies by omission or by action, dissimulates or falsifies, because it's a quranical prescription. Indeed, when it comes to developing Islam, all shots are allowed. "Taqqya" (sic), which means "dissimulation", is a duty for believers in inferiority. However, as soon as the balance of power is reversed, the Muslim can consider aggression."
- An example here : http://ripostelaique.com/tareq-oubrou-serait-premier-ministre-dali-juppe.html
- An example here : http://www.gaucherepublicaine.org/respublica/riposte-laique-analyse-dune-strategie/808
- http://ripostelaique.com/?s=donald+trump Which, in light of recent comments, means they're so much racist towards Muslims they're ready to support someone who's racist towards the French.
- That is, until the first American airstrikes in Syria, like a large part of the pro-Putain far-right.
- Grand Remplacement - Wikipédia (in French)
- French newspaper Le Monde debunked that bullshit.