There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Parroting squawkbox|
|And a dirty dozen more|
Mark Levin (1957–) is an American author, lawyer, right wing hate radio personality and colossal blowhard. He maintains an extreme right wing strict constructionist viewpoint and says a lot of stupid things. His syndicated radio show blankets the United States on several hundred radio stations. He worked in Ronald Reagan's administration and was chief of staff for Attorney General Edwin Meese.
Levin denies the scientific consensus on climate change, and in August 2017 he made possibly the most hilarious climate denial argument ever, saying that past scientists throughout history ("Aristotle, Archimedes, Galileo…") did not mention global warming so that proves climate change does not exist. Showing the depth of his scientific background, Levin mispronounced Archimedes as if "Archie" were his first name.
The George W. Bush administration was too centrist for him. He's also obsessed with what he calls "Islamo-nazis". He thought Obama and the Supreme Court were conspiring to bring Stalinism to the United States. His voice is also somehow more annoying than Rush Limbaugh's, resembling that of the cartoon character Master Shake. He shouts down callers who disagree with him, as "drones". For example, in one notable call in 2014 Levin went off on an atheist caller about separation of church and state.
Levin promotes the whacked-out conspiracy theory that the United States found Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) in Iraq during the Iraq War, despite admissions by the U.S. government to the contrary; he actually believes that Karl Rove and the Bush White House covered up the discovery of WMDs for political reasons (WMDs were the primary justification for the US launching the war).
Levin called presidential candidate Donald Trump a "radical kook" for saying that WMDs were not found in Iraq.[note 1] However, after Trump was elected president, he quickly jumped on the Trump bandwagon.
Levin compared same-sex marriage to incest between a father and an adult daughter, and called the Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriage "a direct assault on our entire American heritage and our constitutional process.”
Levin has very close ties to the wingnut Media Research Center, whose "news" division CNSNews.com published an article about him every 2.7 days in 2018. At one point Levin and the MRC had a cross-marketing agreement resulting in Levin heavily promoting them on his radio show.
Levin is also a blatant racist and xenophobe. On immigration, in Levin's view the United States is "a nation not of immigrants, we are a nations of citizens” and that many of the problems with immigration stem from "liberals" and the "Democrat [sic] party" favoring recent immigrants over "the citizens who have made this country."
In general, Levin has accused liberals of hating the country and blames them for everything.
“”The fact that [Trump] attacked George Bush as a commander in chief, not because he disagreed with him, but he attacked him as a liar who knew there were not weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and said he was responsible for 9/11 and he was responsible for those towers coming down. Ladies and gentlemen, that's why I posted on my Facebook, this guy sounds like Code Pink. Sounds like a radical kook. All the rest aside, all of it aside, I know too many gold star families who lost sons over there to hear this 9/11 truther crap, which is pretty close to it. Pretty damn close to it.
- For example, Mark Levin absurdly claims that the three-fifths compromise in the Constitution had nothing to do with slavery or white supremacy. Media Matters, 10 July 2019.
- Alasdair Denvil, 5 Kinds of Political Name-Calling We Should Recognize This Election Cycle. The Blaze, 2 February 2016.
- Ian Schwartz, Mark Levin: Boehner Is A Moron. Real Clear Politics, 3 January 2013.
- Mark Levin Rips "Deranged Moron" Chris Matthews: "This Is One Sick S.O.B." Real Clear Politics, 7 December 2013.
- Name-Calling and Caricature: "Disgusting". civildebatepage.blogspot.com, 7 June 2015.
- Mark Levin just made possibly the most hilarious climate denial argument ever. Daily Kos, 31 August 2017.
- Have fun!
- Original audio via MofoPolitics YouTube channel here; Cenk Uygur's commentary about the call here.
- Simon Maloy, Meet the Iraq War truthers: Why they're convinced Bush was right on WMD. Salon, 21 October 2014.
- Dana Priest and Walter Pincus, U.S. 'Almost All Wrong' on Weapons; Report on Iraq Contradicts Bush Administration Claims. The Washington Post, 7 October 2004.
- The Mark Levin Show summary from 15 February 2016.
- Conservative Radio Host Slams Trump on 9/11 Claim; Turning Points: Fighting Parkinson's with Magic & Music; The Newly Released Letters of Pope John Paul II. Aired 8:30-9a ET. CNN, 17 February 2016.
- Mark Levin Compares Marriage Equality To Incest, Polygamy, And Drug Use. Media Matters, 18 February 2014.
- The Mark Levin News Service. ConWebWatch, 18 June 2019.
- Mark Levin Radio Show, 13 January 2016.