Dutch Farmers Protest
What do you think about the farmers protest? Monet Ye 07:51, 7 July 2022 (UTC)
- Reality playing catch-up. It's been known since the 80s that the farm industry produces way too much CO2 (it's ~40% of our national exhaust), it's just that the farmers have one of the strongest political lobbies, so they were by and large ignored up to 2019. Then a judge struck down standing government orders to basically make everyone else innovate for more climate friendly scenarios but the farming industry because they were in conflict with international agreements made about cutting back CO2 exhaustion (judges in the Netherlands don't get to constitutionally review laws, but they can test laws and policies against international agreements), so we needed new laws (which are about to pass). Again, this was known since the 80s. For that reason, I mainly don't really care about what they have to say - I get they're angry but everyone has to face the music. Life as we know it is about to get a lot more expensive to maintain and we've been living in a comparative paradise (vis a vis rest of the world) and we all have to pay our part to keep it that way. If you bought a farm barn in 2016 and are angry that you're now in debt because of known foreseeable consequences, that makes you a bad businessman, not the government.
- As for the protests themselves; they're blockading traffic, threatened to shut down the airport (backed off after the Marechaussee threatened to use combat vehicles) and are causing artificial scarcity in supermarkets (not because they refuse to produce but because those assholes drive like, 20 tractors to a distribution center and barricade the exits). They also keep attempting to drive their tractors into police officers but when one fires a warning shot back because he was about to be hit otherwise (which didn't hit anyone), suddenly the police is at fault and a bunch of farmers go over to the detention center where the dumbass who attempt it is being kept at to try and break them out.
- The protest groups are funded by the animal food sector, so frankly it's a corporate protest against necessary legislation with a bunch of useful idiots.
- So, no, I don't support them. They're fucking jackasses. -- Techpriest (talk) 08:28, 7 July 2022 (UTC)
the Ethan Ralph thing
I deleted it earlier based on guidance in the community standards. I've deleted copypasta from wikipedia before with no objections. Could you clarify your stance on this? Thanks. —cosmikdebris talk stalk 22:42, 31 July 2022 (UTC)
- The page was removed from Wikipedia due to not meeting their specific BLP rules. Ethan Ralphs significance to mainstream source is basically non-existent outside of Gamergate; Ethan Ralph as an individual on the other hand is definitely within our purview as a crank (basically he's an "internet tough guy" with a fairly long history of being a neonazi not too dissimilar from Michael Coombs in pathetic behavior, including to my understanding starting fights with other cranks only to back out of them later). In addition, my main reasoning for restoring the page was in this case is twofold; first, the person posting the page is the author of the page on Wikipedia (and the person who AfDed it in the first place), this means it's not plagiarism. The other reason is that the contents of the page for the most part don't bother with information irrelevant to our mission; most wikipasta we get has loads of unnecessary crud about the personal lives of the cranks we cover. That's not the case with this one; it's concise, to the point and is outside of tone practically already formatted like a RationalWiki article. Some small work in draftspace to make it fit and it should be relevant to RW. -- Techpriest (talk) 23:01, 31 July 2022 (UTC)
- Thanks for the background. I am familiar with the subject of the article from his actions during gamergate, where he largely appeared to grifting off the worst of that crowd. —cosmikdebris talk stalk 23:20, 31 July 2022 (UTC)
It looks like if there is an unsigned post at the end of a section, that section will not get archived until someone adds a dated signature to it. Bongolian (talk) 20:48, 4 September 2022 (UTC)
- That is by design so you don't accidentally lose post headings. There's a template to add a signature that goes back beyond the archive date over at Template:Request_archive. Make sure to substitute it. -- Techpriest (talk) 21:18, 4 September 2022 (UTC)
- OK, thanks. Bongolian (talk) 21:28, 4 September 2022 (UTC)
You've been nominated to the RationalMedia Foundation election. Please accept or decline here; if you accept, you may wish to campaign. Bongolian (talk) 06:07, 31 October 2022 (UTC)
2022 Mod election results
Send me an email, and I'll reply with a link to the ballot file. —cosmikdebris talk stalk 15:54, 20 December 2022 (UTC)
Inferno bot not working
Just letting you know, it hasn't done anything for nearly a week. Plutocow (talk) 22:36, 29 December 2022 (UTC)
- Solved, bot was logged out. -- Techpriest (talk) 16:07, 2 January 2023 (UTC)