| Potentially edible!|
| Style over substance|
“”STAY AWAY FROM SUGAR AND GRAINS
Vinnie Tortorich (1962–) is an American fitness trainer, cholesterol denialist, podcaster, pseudoscientist and proponent of vitamin woo. He operates the Angriest Trainer podcast that often features conspiracy theorists and low-carb fanatics who reject conventional medical advice.
Tortorich advertises himself as the "World's Celebrity Fitness Trainer" and charges $195 for an hour phone consultation. He founded the Pure Vitamin Club to sell his vitamin supplements. Tortorich's irrational criticisms of whole grains are entirely unfounded.
No Sugar, No Grains
Tortorich is a promoter of a fad diet known as "No Sugar, No Grains" (NSNG), which consists of eliminating all processed sugars and grains from the diet. It is basically mixture of ketogenic and paleo diet principles, a repackaged low-carb high-fat diet. Tortorich describes NSNG as a "lifestyle", but like all fad diets there is a list of foods you can and cannot eat.
The NSNG diet does not allow the consumption of whole grains. This is despite the fact, there are many health benefits from eating whole grains and they offer a good source of fibre, nutrients and minerals. The consumption of whole grains can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, chronic inflammation and obesity. The NSNG diet entirely forbids the consumption of barley, oats, rice and wheat. In reality, all these foods have proven health benefits. According to one review, "research has shown that consumption of wheat fiber leads to increased laxation, decreased gut transit time, and a potential reduction in the risk of colorectal cancer." A 2016 systematic review concluded that "whole grain intake is associated with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease, cardiovascular disease, and total cancer, and mortality from all causes, respiratory diseases, infectious diseases, diabetes, and all non-cardiovascular, non-cancer causes." Tortorich does not appear to be interested in this evidence.[citation NOT needed]
“”There is no concrete evidence that high serum cholesterol is even the cause of heart disease. That’s right – you heard THAT!
Reminiscent of the Quack Miranda Warning, he lists a disclaimer on his website stating, "Do not disregard any professional medical advice you have received, nor delay in seeking such advice because of something you have read on this website." However, his podcast interviews often recommend listeners to avoid taking medication. Tortorich interviewed Kendrick who said that statins are useless to any patient and are a massive Big Pharma con. On his website, Tortorich sells the "Cholesterol Collection" for $10, a bunch of his interviews with cholesterol denialists. Unsurprisingly, he is a fan of Gary Taubes.
Low-carbers that have appeared on his podcast
- Celebrity Trainer Vinnie Tortorich on What Works for Weight Loss
- Phone Consultation. Vinnie Tortorich.
- Pure Vitamin Club
- No Sugar No Grains (NSNG) Frequently Asked Questions
- Health Benefits of Grains
- 9 Legitimate Health Benefits of Eating Whole Grains
- Potential Health Benefits of Whole Grain Wheat Components
- Whole grain consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and all cause and cause specific mortality: systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. British Medical Journal.
- THE CHOLESTEROL COLLECTION THE ALL NEW 10 FOR $10. Vinnie Tortorich.
- Depression, Type 2 Diabetes, Happiness and the The Great Cholesterol Con with DR. MALCOLM KENDRICK. Vinnie Tortorich.
- BEST OF: Dr. Malcolm Kendrick and the Great Cholesterol Con – Episode 1247. Vinnie Tortorich.
- Disclaimer for VinnieTortorich.com
- The Obesity Epidemic with Gary Taubes. Vinnie Tortorich.
- Gary Taubes and The Case Against Sugar – Episode 731. Vinnie Tortorich.
- Dr. William Davis On Becoming “Undoctored” – Episode 838. Vinnie Tortorich.
- Zoë Harcombe PhD Finds No Evidence! – Episode 824. Vinnie Tortorich.
- Fast Food, Obesity, Documentaries and Fat Head with Tom Naughton. Vinnie Tortorich.
- Timothy Noakes Trial Recap with Marika Sboros – Episode 819. Vinnie Tortorich.