“”a lot of children who drink soft drinks actually become ‘stupid’, but once you take the soft drink away from them, their grades improve tremendously
|—Fereydoon Batmanghelidj, NaturalNews|
The Water Cure (also known as the Kneipp Cure or hydrotherapy) was created in 1816 by a Vincenz Priessnitz, a peasant farmer in Austria. The water cure was later developed and popularized in the 1880s by Father Sebastian Kneipp. Fereydoon Batmanghelidj later published puff pieces on the water cure in a journal he runs himself. It was accepted as part one of many cure-all treatments in the early days of naturopathy. It has since mostly fallen into disfavor.
In modern-day non-woo medicine, the term "hydrotherapy" more often refers to physical therapy done in water. Of course NaturalNews is promoting it, even worse they proclaim it a cure to AIDS. Also screw credentials, you don't need a license to practice the hydropathy.
Treatments include: covering with wet sheets, foot baths (cold or warm), half-baths (cold or warm), whole-baths (cold or warm), head baths, eye baths, vapor (steam) baths, shower-baths, ablutions, bandages, walking barefoot in the snow, and water drinking. Herbal medicine and diet (bran bread or Kneippbrød, soup and mead) are also used.
Aliments that are allegedly cured:
- apoplexy (cerebral hemorrhage)
- bladder diseases
- blood decomposition
- blood poisoning
- vomiting blood
- intestinal complaints
- bowel inflammation
- brain disease
- brain inflammation
- chlorosis (hypochromic anemia)
- consumption (tuberculosis)
- costiveness (constipation)
- croup (respiratory viral infection)
- delirium tremens
- ear diseases
- erysipelas (streptococcal dermititis)
- kidney problems
- knee tumors
- lumbago (low back pain)
- nervous disorders
- Saint Vitus's dance (Sydenham's chorea)
- scarlet fever
- stomach acidity
- stomach tumors
- tetters (various skin diseases)
- difficulty urinating
- vaccination side-effects
- Tourists taking the Kneipp Cure at Bad Wörishofen, Germany, home of Kneipp
- Pleasures of the Water Cure — a satirical Victorian-era booklet illustrated by Thomas Onwhyn
- Sodas cause dehydration Natural News
- Meine Wasser-Kur, durch mehr als 30 Jahre erprobt und geschrieben zur Heilung der Krankheiten und Erhaltung der Gesundheit by Sebastian Kneipp, Jos. Kösel, 1899.
- My Water-Cure: Tested For More Than 40 Years by Sebastian Kneipp. 3rd English edition translated from the 36th German edition. Jos. Kösel, 1894.
- The Water Cure: Another Example of Self Deception and the “Lone Genius” by Harriet Hall. Science based Medicine
- Universal Naturopathic Encyclopedia, Directory and Buyers' Guide: Year Book of Drugless Therapy for 1918-19 by Benedict Lust (editor and publisher).
- The Feminist Origins of “Eight Cups a Day” by Erika Janik. Slate
- The Water Cure: An interview with Dr. Batmanghelidj by Mike Adams. Natural News
- The Water Cure: AIDS and the Pharmaceutical Industry Natural News
- Does human body absorb water through skin? Quora