Kurt Saxon is a
professional loser survivalist crank who is among the most prolific writers on the subject, and even claims to have come up with the word.[note 1] Like many outspoken survivalists, he is quite insane, and a bit of a racist.
History as a loser
Saxon was born "Donald Eugene Sisco" on 6 March 1932, and has managed to be in enough crank organizations to fill every sanitarium in the US, including the American Nazi Party, the early Minutemen, the Church of Scientology, Satanism and the John Birch Society.
Saxon managed to keep his head on straight long enough to (and you cannot make this up) testify before Congress in 1970, proving that not only were the 60's a terrible time for America, but that the government under Tricky Dick was not that fond of all the liberals running around. To demonstrate his sheer insanity, Saxon has a transcript of his testimony on his website, because apparently an insane 84-year old can operate a computer better than my 45-year old mother. In it, he advocates for police and private citizens using bombs to kill leftists, and for college protesters to be dispersed with machine-gun fire. No, really.
Activities as a loser
Most of what Saxon did in his early years as a raging looney was to reprint out-of-date magazines and public-domain books (such as military instructional manuals and antiquated reference books with lapsed copyrights) into books about home projects in chemistry, electricity and similar activities, imaginatively titled "Granddad's Wonderful World of Chemistry". He has been writing about the imminent end of civilization (hereafter referred to, in his words, as "disneyland for dummies") since the early 70s. As of March 2012 there is
no more evidence for the end of civilization then when he first predicted it 40 years ago, or any other point in the last 4,000 years plenty of evidence for the imminent collapse of civilization Disneyland for Dummies. To vent his insanity he also wrote a few books on improvised weaponry, and ran a magazine called The Survivor. It ended shortly thereafter. When the Militia movement was going full steam ing pile of crap in the early 90s he started another short-lived magazine called U.S. Militia.
He has also written a dozen books, mostly about survivalism and paramilitary
crap including improvised weapons and poison making, but also less insane things, like how to slash food budgets.
His social views amount to saying that
civilization Disneyland for Dummies is evil because it dares to allow the not physically strong and/or healthy to survive, and when civilization Disneyland for Dummies finally gets around to collapsing (for various reasons that never make sense) only those with practical knowledge will survive.
He's also a bit of a racist, and has some naughty things to say about Islam, including (oh, irony) that it has a violent agenda.
He is also an atheist and pro-abortion, because a stopped clock is right twice a day.
- The Poor Man’s James Bond; the complete "militant’s formulary" and much, much more (1972)
- How to Cut Your Food Bill by Half or More; City Survival During the Famine to Come 2nd ed. (1973)
- The Instant Who’s Who in the Bible (1974)
- Keeping Score on Modern Prophets (1974)
- Wheels of Rage; the Story of the Iron Cross Motorcycle Club (1974)
- The Poor Man’s James Bond 4th ed. (1974?)
- Fireworks & Explosives Like Granddad Used to Make (1975)
- Medicines Like Granddad Used to Make (1976)
- Bar Drinks and Booze Like Granddad Used to Make (1976)
- Old Time Home Food Processing for Fun & Profit (1977)
- The Weaponeer (1984)
- Granddad’s Wonderful Book of Chemistry (1987)
- The Survivor (1987-1988)
- The New Improved Poor Man’s James Bond Revised ed., corr. and enl. (1988)
- The Poor Man’s James Bond Revised ed. (1991)
- Keeping Score on Our Modern Prophets (1994)
- The Instant Who's Who In The Bible (1994)
- Root-Rot, Kurt Saxon's Answer to Alex Haley (1994)
- Granddad's Wonderful Book of Electricity (2002)
In case you really want to read any of these, most can be found as a PDF online for free from any number of torrent sites.
- SurvivalPlus, Saxon's commercial website (No longer under Kurt Saxon's ownership)
- The Poor Man's James Bond Volumes I-V
- Video Tape Special Volume 1
- Video Tape Special Volume 2
- The Poor Man's James Bond Greets the Russians
- The Poor Man's James Bond Strikes Again!
- 50 episodes of Kurt Saxon's shortwave radio show
- Kurtsaxon.com archived website.
- Survivalplus.com archived website.
- Manual for Mayhem: How One Man Tried to Teach Everyday People to Make Anti-Tank Missiles
- POLICE FIND EXPLOSIVE LIQUID IN HOME OF MILITIA AUTHOR KURT SAXON
- ‘Bomb’ taken from Alpena house
- The Oxford English Dictionary records "survivalism" from 1892 and "suvivalist" from 1882, albeit with non-Saxonian connotations.