Hello friends of RationalWiki!! I am ThyFluffyDolphin.
I am a British, youth-ridden fellow, who is a massive animal enthusiast, aspiring performer, among many other things. I also happen to be a contributor on this lovely little community I found by complete accident. RationalWiki has become my new hobby, and considering my immense natural bent against authoritarianism, I find myself quite at home. Having my perspectives challenged by articles I find is actually quite a lovely feeling, once I shake off the annoyance of realising a position I had was baseless.
Urban Dictionary thinks we are as dishonest as tumblr. pft.
My hope is that sites and communities like RationalWiki will be able to jumpstart civil discourse around the world. Well, I gather I am an optimist, but a little hope, combined with some overall pragmaticism, can't hurt, right?
I also have an ability to sometimes make really terrible edits on occasion. This is usually when I try to add humour, believing there is not enough, realising there is enough, and then realising that someone already deleted my crappy edit.
Anyway, I won't write an essay about who I am and what I do. Let's do lists instead! I am quite good at those (I think).
My absolute favourite articles (subject to update)
There have been many articles I have seen during my tenure here. Here are my favourites:
- North Korea - My first page I ever found on RationalWiki. The utter snark had me laughing almost constantly and it was a nice introduction with a fun-filled, yet informative, article on what is perhaps the most repressive regime in human history. I added a few touches to it myself too, which were some of my first edits on the wiki, well according to my memory.
- Ben Shapiro - Like Chris Evans, I genuinely dislike Ben Shapiro. Thankfully, this article gave me enough fuel to take out proponents of Shapiro's "fact-based community", with an assortment of well placed reasoning. Like North Korea, I was on the floor laughing with this one first time around.
- Adolf Hitler - Just a brilliant article, utterly deserving its silver-rated designation, and taught me even more about him that I thought possible, notably regarding his rise to power. Given how sensitive a topic Hitler is, the blend of fun yet with dammning reasoning is simply terrific. Always great to re-read from time to time.
- Ann Coulter and Ann Widdecombe - Good articles on nasty
conservativereactionary women. Both called Ann! Not much more to say here, I always get a chuckle from them :)
- FAQ for the Newly Deconverted - The best written article on this wiki, which answered some deep questions I had. Seriously, read it if you haven't. It's fantastic.
More will be added as I think of them!
Articles I've contributed a bit to
This being my new hobby, I've managed to leap from article to article. Here are some I can distinctly remember making some edits too (hopefully good ones). So we have:
- James Buchanan - I made the goddamn article. That's my bragging right of this wiki. Although, I give credit to Chef Moosolini’s Ristorante ItalianoMake a Reservation for the help on the refinement part of things. Either way, I was rather proud of it, as it was my first big project on this wiki.
- Mao Zedong - LucasGeorge inadvertently teamed up with me for this. We really padded out this one, and I specifically spent a lot of time on the Cultural Revolution, of which I consider one of the most abjectly horrifying "genocides", that laid waste to China's culture. As I strongly believe Mao needs more discussion, I hope that it is a start.
- 2020 U.S. presidential election - This election terrified me until I knew the result. The USA unfortunately has a lot of impact on the rest of the world, so I felt it only necessary that I added my fair share. I mostly did work on the "How it went down" section. I still don't know why Trump's hair suddenly went gray. Remains to be explained...
- 2021 U.S. Capitol riot - Same case here. What a fucking shocker. This event will have a lasting impact, even outside the US of A.
- Bernie Ecclestone - Ahh, Ecclestone. Showing crankery and political extremism exists inside motorsport. Glad you're gone from F1 mate.
- Deng Xiaoping - Yep, we did it. Still a few things worth adding so chip in :)
Things to be made or improved
These articles definitely need to be made. I might get round to them, but some of these, are not really my field of speciality. Either way:
- Mikhaila Peterson - Being the daughter of the infamous Jordan Peterson, and one of the most dangerously consistent cheerleaders for the carnivore diet, I believe a short article on her is extremely necessary.
- Angela Merkel - Exists, but needs to become a full fledged article. Come on, she deserves it haha :)
- Partisan - Very important page with not much substance. Any users looking for some early credit, do your thing.
- Dan Quayle - Come on, we need a chuckle.
Ha, got ya!
Yeah, that ain't happening. You've got me here anyway. Don't be sad :)
Fun fact about me, I don't actually drink. But hey! Given when I'm writing this many of you may be stuck at home (I sure am), then feel free to have some fun with this. Any drink you want, but preferably not too strong unless I say so:
- If you've come from the actual page dedicated to this, take a shot immediately.
- If you cringe at our top Urban Dictionary definition, take a shot.
- Find any vandalism of "lol more like UNrationalwiki" or "it's not rational" take two shots.
- Anything of "SJWWiki" is worth three.
- Should you stumble across vandalism directed at a recently elected figure, take a shot.
- If you see ANYONE on your social media talk about how much they want to go to Dubai (UAE), Turkey, or any similarly authoritarian states just- shot of fucking vodka. Holy shit!
- Think about your past. If you cringed at any of your past beliefs, take a shot.
- If you happen to be a conservative, and feel embarrassed to be one because of your peers, take a shot.
- If you happen to be a liberal, and feel embarrassed to be one because of your peers take a shot.
- Same for centrists, etc etc. You get the idea.
- If you grew up in a religious family, take a shot. Make it vodka if it's fundamentalist.
- If you are the only atheist of your family (if not, friend group), take another shot.
- If you know anyone who has politicised/chainmailed a serious humanitarian crisis, drink the rest of the bottle.
I seem to have issues of accidentally doing stuff off-mission. But, no matter, for I have found a solution. Here are links to all of my off-mission pages, generally taking subjects not part of RW requirement into a critical eye.
- Crashgate - The worst motorsport scandal to ever hit planet Earth