Hello friends of RationalWiki!! I am ThyFluffyDolphin.
I am a British, youth-ridden fellow, who is a massive animal enthusiast, aspiring performer, among many other things. I also happen to be a contributor on this lovely little community I found by complete accident. RationalWiki has become my new hobby, and considering my immense natural bent against authoritarianism, I find myself quite at home. Having my perspectives challenged by articles I find is actually quite a lovely feeling, once I shake of the annoyance of realising a position I had came with no backing.
My hope is that sites and communities like RationalWiki will be able to jumpstart civil discourse around the world. Well, I gather I am an optimist, but a little hope, combined with some overall pragmaticism, can't hurt, right? :)
Anyway, I won't write an essay about who I am and what I do. Let's do lists instead! I am quite good at those (I think).
My absolute favourite articles (subject to update)
There have been articles I have seen during my (currently brief) tenure here. Here are my favourites:
- North Korea - My first page I ever found on RationalWiki. The utter snark had me laughing almost constantly and it was a nice introduction with a fun-filled, yet informative, article on what is perhaps the most repressive regime in human history. I added a few touches to it myself too, which were some of my first edits on the wiki, well according to my memory.
- Ben Shapiro - Like Chris Evans, I genuinely dislike Ben Shapiro. Thankfully, this article gave me enough fuel to take out proponents of Shapiro's "fact-based community", with an assortment of well placed reasoning. Like North Korea, I was on the floor laughing with this one first time around.
- Adolf Hitler - Just a brilliant article, utterly deserving its silver-rated designation, and taught me even more about him that I thought possible, notably regarding his rise to power. Given how sensitive a topic Hitler is, the blend of fun yet with dammning reasoning is simply terrific. Always great to re-read from time to time.
- Pretty much all Donald Trump articles - A stellar example of rational commentary. My god, the amount of work that went into these all... Shows really what you can do with a strong community committed to the same goal.
- Ann Coulter and Ann Widdecombe - Good articles on nasty
conservativereactionary women. Both called Ann! Not much more to say here, I always get a chuckle from them :)
More will be added as I think of them!
Articles I've contributed a bit to
This being my new hobby, I've managed to leap from article to article. Here are some I can distinctly remember making some edits too (hopefully good ones). So we have:
- James Buchanan - I made the goddamn article. That's my bragging right of this wiki. Although, I give credit to Chef Moosolini’s Ristorante ItalianoMake a Reservation for the help on the refinement part of things. Either way, I was rather proud of it, as it was my first big project on this wiki.
- Mao Zedong - LucasGeorge inadvertently teamed up with me for this. We really padded out this one, and I specifically spent a lot of time on the Cultural Revolution, of which I consider one of the most abjectly horrifying "genocides", that laid waste to China's culture. As I strongly believe Mao needs more discussion, I hope that it is a start.
- 2020 U.S. presidential election - This election terrified me until I knew the result. The USA unfortunately has a lot of impact on the rest of the world, so I felt it only necessary that I added my fair share. I mostly did work on the "How it went down" section. I still don't know why Trump's hair suddenly went gray. Remains to be explained...
- 2021 U.S. Capitol riot - Same case here. This event will have a lasting impact, even outside the US
- Bernie Ecclestone and Lewis Hamilton - Both articles I made, one, showing crankery and political extremism exists inside motorsport, and two, showing you shouldn't dismiss valid opinions of all sporting figures.
Things to be made or improved
These articles definitely need to be made. I might get round to them, but some of these, are not really my field of speciality. Either way:
- Deng Xiaoping - Extremely important figure in China's history. Was Moosolini's suggestion, but I need a little bit more background research before I tackle it. If you have better ideas than I do, go for it!
- Mikhaila Peterson - Being the daughter of the infamous Jordan Peterson, and one of the most dangerously consistent cheerleaders for the carnivore diet, I believe a short article on her is extremely necessary.
- Angela Merkel - Exists, but needs to become a full fledged article. Come on, she deserves it haha :)
- Partisan - Very important page with not much substance. Any users looking for some early credit, do your thing.
- Dan Quayle - Come on, we need a chuckle.
Ha, got ya!
Yeah, that ain't happening. You've got me here anyway. Don't be sad :)