There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| One of the|
|And a dirty dozen more|
“”The immature rantings of Shapiro as a college student weren't something he grew out of. Instead, his dumbest beliefs were reinforced by a right-wing culture that nurtured every nutty idea he had, and pressured him never to stray from a far right ideology. As a result, Ben Shapiro has become a professional idiot.
|—John K. Wilson|
Ben Shapiro (b. 1984) is one of the youngest and (along with Bill Still) most visible conservatives outside mainstream media. He is an intellectual, if we have to pick a movement conservative who doesn't moonlight as a "comedian" like Steven Crowder, or an exhibitionist like Milo. He has also written several books, including a "Post-Obama thriller" called True Allegiance. Shapiro identifies as Jewish.
Ben earned his spurs as a writer for Townhall and WND, but is better-known for his close association with Andrew Breitbart—even becoming an editor (and then Editor-At-Large) for Breitbart.com. He acrimoniously resigned after Breitbart.com refused to defend one of their own reporters after she accused Corey Lewandowski (then Trump's campaign manager) of forcefully manhandling her. Since then, Shapiro has been a frequent (and pointed) critic of Steve Bannon and the alt-right movement. He is perhaps best known, however, for his outspoken, direct, pseudo-intellectual, and almost entirely inaccurate criticisms of "left-wing" concepts such as white privilege and toxic masculinity.
He hosts his own podcast, the Ben Shapiro Show, which can be viewed on the YouTube channel of his website the Daily Wire.
- 1 Ben-Durr
- 2 Writing is easy! I don't see why everyone complains about it
- 3 Views on President Trump
- 4 Ben Shapi-who?
- 5 William F. Buckley cries out from the grave
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
“”As a general matter, the left’s favorite three lines of attack are (1) you’re stupid; (2) you’re mean; (3) you’re corrupt.
|—Shapiro, How to Debate Liberals|
One should be hesitant to read Shapiro for any reason. Whereas the ramblings of other extremists in the clogosphere can be mildly entertaining, his sheer smugness and exclusive reliance on strawmen pretty much sucks out any potential "fun" that could be had with his articles.
Basically, Ben's shtick is to mewl about the persecution of straight, white, conservative men in Hollywood and academia where "east/west coast elites" are hard at work, indoctrinating the unwitting public into communism. (He infamously cited Sesame Street as an example of liberal propaganda.) As shown below, just getting out of the house once in a while could easily prove how absurd many of Shapiro's claims are to readers at a personal level.
The Christian Science Monitor summarized his book Brainwashed: How Universities Indoctrinate America's Youth thusly,
Shapiro makes sweeping—and many would say absurd—charges that they promote atheism, sexual perversion (including pedophilia and statutory rape), and rampant environmentalism.
It's here we discover Shapiro has this odd habit of engaging in ad hominem attacks against anyone who is perceived to be even moderately left-wing. For instance, he labels a professor's wife "brainless" when she talked about how much she treasures the Constitution, and in the same book he accuses liberal professors of spreading "evil". Said professor later accused Shapiro of grossly distorting aspects of this fairly meaningless event.
Militant homosexual agenda
“”If you pay tuition, you're sponsoring the militant homosexual agenda. If you pay taxes, you're sponsoring the militant homosexual agenda. If your child majors in English, you're sponsoring the militant homosexual agenda. Tell Billy to major in math.
In 2013, he published a book Bullies: How the Left's Culture of Fear and Intimidation Is Silencing America, basically a tone argument stretched over 300 pages. For instance, Shapiro interprets a federal judge's 2010 ruling against California Proposition 8 as "using the power of his gavel to justify his sex life."
Ben Shapiro is also a virulent transphobe. During a discussion about Caitlyn Jenner on the HLN network, Shapiro repeatedly addressed corespondent Zoey Tur, a transgender woman, as "Sir", to which Tur placed her hand on Shapiro's shoulder and replied “You cut that out now, or you’ll go home in an ambulance.” While not the most polite rejoinder, it's an understandable reflex action when sitting within 10 feet of Ben Shapiro. Ben roared back
"Jane, you ignorant slut" that he would immediately file a police report against Tur for battery, and that he planned to pursue any applicable charges. 
In a stunning but not wholly unexpected display of the Dunning-Kruger effect, Shapiro also asserted that all transgender people are simply delusional during this discussion and argued this point with the rest of the panel including Dr. Drew Pinsky, though the good doctor had spent much of the segment up to that point explaining to him the neurobiology of sex and gender differences. Drew Pinsky is a psychiatrist, ie. the medical specialty that specializes in both delusional disorders and - you guessed it - the gender dysphoria that transgender people have pre-transitioning. In other words, Ben believes he is more of an expert on the human mind than an actual expert on the human mind is.
Where's my Nobel Peace Prize?
In 2003 he wrote that Israel should force the Palestinian population out of the West Bank, writing that "if Germans, who had a centuries-old connection to the newly created Polish territory, could be expelled, then surely Palestinians, whose claim to Judea, Samaria and Gaza is dubious at best, can be expelled." A decade later Ben decided that wouldn't work, so he now advocates doing...nothing. Just continue the "occupation" because "the problem is intractable." Genius Ben figures that will cut down on Palestinian violence.
He's a pretty vehement climate change denier. In 2007 he penned a weird article "mocking" liberals who believe in global warming and affirmed Gore's Law. He doubled-down in another article which compares belief in global warming to a religion, with Al Gore as its "Prophet".
The troof is out dere
Ben Shapiro is somewhat of a conspiracy nut. He got in some hot water when he pushed the "Friends of Hamas" manufactroversy, but that's really only the tip of the iceberg that is his madness. He is also the founder of TruthRevolt, a conservative media watchdog group who openly state that their mission is to "unmask leftists in the media for who they are, destroy their credibility with the American public, and devastate their funding bases."
Shapiro has also written about birtherism and while trying to avoid being an out and out birther, his writings are extremely sympathetic to it. He believes that it is perfectly logical for someone to believe someone as "un-American" as Obama was born overseas, but he concludes that it's more likely that Obama was indoctrinated with Marxism while in an American school. It seems he is willing to float the idea that the location of birthplaces have a possibility to change based on how he feels about them.
Shapiro also asserted that Mitt Romney would win the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election, feeling so confident in his victory that he wrote "the ball is in Mitt Romney's court. And the American people know it". Like virtually all of his other predictions and assertions, Shapiro was wrong.
Writing is easy! I don't see why everyone complains about it
Turns out that fiction writing is hard. With True Allegiance, Shapiro took the easy path by inserting the thinnest 'characters' ever (the protagonists are attractive because they're good) into what he perceives as real life. Black characters in his book are mostly caricatures (one subplot involves a cop shooting an unarmed black minor, later revealed to be entirely a setup by a local drug kingpin). He gives weirdly-sexual descriptions of the men in his book, hangs salaciously on how taut and sexy the heroes are, and makes himself sound gay despite being anti-LGBT.
Oh well, consider for next time the works of Adam Yoshida!
Views on President Trump
Ben Shapiro's views on President Trump, much like the various impressions he attempts on his podcast, have been sometimes praiseworthy and downright vulgar. Upon the nomination of Neil Gorsuch, America's most gracefully aged Supreme Court Justice thus far, he adorned a Make America Great Hat and broke his usual commentary style by landing the occasional joke and smiling. However, according to Mr. Shapiro who graduated summa cum laude from UCLA and has a high IQ — Gorsuch's appointment is not enough to earn his support in 2020: Trump must keep all his campaign promises and genuflect to serve every micro-issue in Ben Shapiro's conservative agenda. This will earn the Shapiro's support, else he has demanded that he will "sit the election out" the next time, and voice his minute-by-minute commentary
from his parents' basement on the couch of Steven Crowder's studio during election coverage night.
Ben Shapiro's criticism of Trump is rooted in an Establishment conservative's disdain for Trump for: a) A lack of a William Buckley-esque Translatlantic accent, 2) Only infrequent invocations of the greatness of Ronald Reagan at every speaking event, 3) a compromised English and Biblical vocabulary and 4) attempting sexual congress with more than 1 woman. Yet there is optimism for a neo-revival of the Judeo-Christian Orthodox conservatism movement, but much like there being no evidence for any such deity, the groundswell appears to be non-existent. Ben Shapiro is thus fighting an uphill battle, and is proud of it: He is nonetheless regardless by all as a force of integrity, morality and clarity of thought into an ever-fraught public conservations on political issues — one wishes, however, that his message would be communicated at a verbal delivery speed befitting a human, rather than a bumblebee.
Shapiro and Breitbart were made for each other. They both take even the tiniest, most irrelevant morsel of "news" and spin it into atrocities committed by the left. They both cry "Anti-Semitism!" when confronted with facts, yet freely insert racist dog-whistles into their articles for effect. They both earnestly use derogatory names like "SJW" and Marxist for anyone not on the far right. Ben has been caught a few times basing news articles on unsourced blogs, which later turned out to be false, yet never retracted them. He tweets barely-literate screeds dozens of times per day. He's the hero they need.
...But not the hero they deserved, as Breitbart.com and Ben split in rather dramatic fashion. In a stopped clock moment in March, 2016, Shapiro resigned as editor-at-large from Breitbart.com following the site's handling of the assault on one of their reporters, Michelle Fields (who resigned at the same time), by Donald Trump's then campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski. Shapiro cited the site's lack of support for Fields (they went so far as to publicly question the truth of their own report's claims, even in the face of clear video and audio evidence) and its sycophantic relationship with the candidate. Shapiro called Breitbart.com "Trump's Pravda".
The day following his resignation, Breitbart.com published a story mocking Shapiro as short, a "conservative gadfly" and a traitor to the deceased Andrew Breitbart. Breitbart.com gilded the lily of this extreme-but-characteristic pettiness by posting the article with the byline of "William Bigelow"; a pseudonym used by Shapiro's father, also a contributor to the site. Ben's father had resigned with his son before the attack piece was posted. The story was quickly memory holed and replaced with a vague statement by Breitbart.com editor and legal counsel, Joel Pollak, actual author of the original post. We have always been at war with Eastasia. Shapiro has since called Breitbart.com a "feces tornado". Thanks for that image, Ben.
Breitbart's defense of the Trump campaign against the site's own reporter would help to land their executive editor, Steve Bannon, a job in Lewandowski's former position as campaign manager and then Senior Strategist in the Trump White House.
William F. Buckley cries out from the grave
- L. Brent Bozell III: Shapiro's "media watchdog" crybaby-in-arms; also able to spot liberal propaganda in every facet of reality.
- David Horowitz: Befriended Shapiro in his quest to reveal leftist plots.
- Katie Pavlich: His female counterpart.
- Wilson, "Ben Shapiro's Homophobia", Daily Kos (4/2913 9:42 AM PST).
- Vox.com, ""A former Breitbart editor on what Trump's victory means for the alt-right." November 15, 2016.
- "Thom Hartmann: Is Sesame Street subverting children with a liberal bias?", The Big Picture 6.8.11. Is Dora the Explorer promoting white genocide?
- Kehe, Marjorie. "Brainwashing on campus?" Christian Science Monitor: May 24, 2004.
- Watson, "Shattered Shapiro: Author of flimsy exposÃ© in league with Blair, Glass", Daily Bruin (5/11/04 9:00 pm)
- The full article is even more bizarre
- Bullies: How the Left's Culture of Fear and Intimidation Is Silencing America, p. 192.
- "Inside Edition's Zoe Tur Threatens To Send Breitbart's Ben Shapiro "Home In An Ambulance" Over Jenner Debate", RealClearPolitics 7.17.15. Respect, schmepect! Look, I respect trans people!' I just happen to think their identity is a disease.
- Warning: Breitbart.com Source
- http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/07/22/transgender-reporter-zoey-tur-triples-down-on-threats-against-ben-shapiro/ Zoey Tur Triples Down on Threats]
- Goldberg, Jeffrey, "Prominent Hagel Detractor Endorses Fascistic Vision of Israel", The Atlantic 2.20.13.
- in full effect
- Shapiro, "The Left's Global Warming Solution: No More Children!", Creators. Fresh air. The scent of...pine.
- Shapiro, "Secret Hagel Donor?: White House Spox Ducks Question on 'Friends of Hamas'", Breitbart 2.7.13.
- Shapiro, "About the Birth Certificate", Frontpage Mag 4.21.11
- Menachem, Seth, "Ben Shapiro’s culture of fear mongering", Jewish Journal (7/915 at 3:43 pm).
- Just remember, mosquitoes don't grow an immunity to overused pesticides
- Why Mitt Romney Will Win
- Needham, Lisa, "Rush Limbaugh and Ben Shapiro Catch Bieber Fever", Wonkette (1/24/14, 1:30pm). Shapiro: "He’s driving drunk with, what, marijuana, cocaine or some such thing. I mean, it’s all over the news, Justin Bieber...Did Justin Bieber commit fraud to seize one-sixth of the US economy? Has the guy taken over the health care industry?
- Hurst, Evan, "Verified Jew Person Sarah Silverman Is Biggest Hitler Since Barack Obama", Wonkette (7/31/15, 2:14pm). Hurst: "Okay, let’s follow the bouncing syphilis logic, if we can. Taking tissue from first trimester fetuses, which are about the size of your choice of delicious legumes, is the same as using Jew brains for science, because Hitler didn’t ask the Jews’ permission to do that...therefore Sarah Silverman is the real Hitler.
- Tesfaye, Sophia, "Patton Oswalt gloriously smacks down Ben Shapiro’s absurd cries of anti-semitism", Salon (12/1615 11:58 PM UTC).
- Shapiro, "Why Do Jews Vote Leftist?", Truth Revolt. Shaprio: "The answer is simple: the vast majority of Jews don’t care about Judaism or Israel. They care about secular leftism, which is their religion." What a hypocritical little swine.
- Luciano, Michael, "Discredited Wingnut Ben Shapiro Slams CNN On CNN For Being Too Pro-Hamas", Daily Banter 8.5.14.
- Rowels, Dustin, "Lena Dunham Might Sue The Conservative Website That Called Her A Child Molester ", Uproxx 11.5.04.
- Schoenkopf, Rebecca, "Ben Shapiro Maximizes Efficiency By Greeting Newborn Daughter, Sneering At President In Just One Tweet", Wonkette (1/29/14, 11:31am).
- Politico Michelle Fields, Ben Shapiro resign from Breitbart
- The Blaze Breitbart Posts, Then Deletes This Strange Response to High-Profile Resignations of Ben Shapiro, Michelle Fields
- "Ben Shapiro Betrays Loyal Breitbart Readers in Pursuit of Fox News Contributorship". Notice the original title Ben Shapiro Betrays Blah Blah Blah remains, despite the page now reading, "Statement from Breitbart News Editor-at-Large and In-House Counsel Joel B. Pollak", along with the incongruous URL.
- Here is another debate, in which he goes head to head with a liberal who, unlike him, supports gun control.