| Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
George Soros is a self-righteous Hungarian-born billionaire who had no problem smashing the Bank of England in 1992 through currency speculation, but got pissed when other people pulled the same shit on energy. He is absolutely nothing like the Koch brothers, Richard Mellon Scaife, or any other wealthy financier of conservative causes who keeps a low profile, because shut up that's why.
Most people don't know much about him, and his name makes him sound like a Bond villain (plus, his surname is a palindrome). What better guy to portray as the brain to which the entire progressive movement is beholden? The movement is easier to demonize when it seems like it's all the machination of one rich evil bastard. In reality, what he's doing is fairly innocuous. Indeed, Soros has done some good in the world by funding district attorneys who oppose the War on (Some) Drugs (so he can smoke dope in Albany?). Perhaps one day the state can mind its own business rather than spending oodles of money on non-violent drug offenders.
Bankrolling liberals and wingnut conspiracies
George Soros is a well-known funder of various liberal organizations, including the Center for American Progress, MoveOn.org, and a princely $1 million donation to Media Matters. It was speculated that he gave funds to the Occupy movement in 2011; however, this was proven not the case.
Soros is also an evil spectre for Bill O'Reilly that, Bill believes, funds the liberal media, runs Media Matters, funds ACORN, and is the sole monetary force behind Air America Radio. This paranoia, of course, occurs only in the fantasy universe of Fox News. Glenn Beck concocted a conspiracy theory in which Soros secretly bankrolled communist eastern European regimes despite the fact that he actually supported anti-communist opposition parties in these states. He also accused Soros of collaborating with the Nazis as a Jewish teenager in Nazi-occupied Hungary, when he had in fact been hidden with the Christian family of a government official at the age of 14 to escape persecution.
Cue the anti-Semitism
Being known as "The Man Who Broke the Bank of England," Soros features in many international Jewish conspiracy theories (and he usually has ties to the Rothschild family, of course). During the 1997-98 southeast Asian financial crisis, Malaysian premier Mahathir bin Mohamad fingered Soros as the head of a Jewish cabal that had caused the crisis. This began a feud between the two that lasted until 2006, when Mahathir apologized.
And, of course, who can forget Glenn Beck's super-duper-original 'puppet master' theory?
- The Russian government has as of 2015 banned all of George Soros' philanthropic organizations from operating in Russia as a threat to national security.
- Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban claimed Soros' organizations were drawing their funding from encouraging the refugee crisis in Europe.
- Polish right-wingers - both from citizen movements as well as professional, popular politics - often accuse everyone who is a "moonbat" (that is, everyone who does not share their views) of being sponsored by Soros
- James Hansen - Soros allegedly controls NASA via Hansen in order to perpetuate the global warming hoax.
- Pizzagate - Soros Often Rewards Orphan Sex
- The man who broke the Bank of England, BBC News
- Costly oil could mean recession - Soros, CNN
- In fact, you can probably use his presence to restart attempts at campaign finance reform. (Ready for some cognitive dissonance, wingnuts?)
- The billionaire native Esperanto speaker?
- Reuters goofed
- See Glenn Beck's Anti-Semitic Attacks and George Soros: Too Anti-Communist for Glenn Beck. This also resulted in a truly awesome Daily Show episode.
- See these sites for example.
- Soros Calls Mahathir A 'Menace' To Malaysia, The New York Times
- Malaysian ex-premier Mahathir and billionaire Soros end feud, Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Russia Bans George Soros Charity as a Security Threat, CNBC
- Hungarian PM Slams Soros-Funded Advocacy Groups: They “Are Drawing A Living From The Immigration Crisis”, Breitbart
- Like here, and here, which does not go unnoticed by some journalists, thankfully.