|One of the|
|And a dirty dozen more|
“”Women are having so much sex they can't afford their birth control
|—Rush's understanding of health 101|
Rush Hudson "Don't Call Me Cigar Face" Limbaugh III (born 12 January 1951 - not dead yet) is a Big Fat Idiot,
comedian radio talk show host, (recovering) drug addict, college drop-out, political commentator, and scat-muncher. Hatched from a slimy pit in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, he is a self-described conservative and discusses politics and current events on his program, The Rush Limbaugh Show. Rush hit the big time after the Reagan Administration revoked the Fairness Doctrine, and has been credited with reviving AM radio in the United States, and he is considered to have been a catalyst for the Republican Party's congressional victories in 1994.
 Promotion of pseudoscience
 Global warming
A caller inquires, "Your belief in God, how does that tell you that global warming is a hoax?" Rush explains how it ought to be, "I just intellectually cannot accept the fact that a loving God which has created all this beauty and has blessed this country -- I cannot believe that a God like that -- would punish the human being he created for progress, for improving the quality of his life [bla bla babble bla babble bla bla]".
God might punish some obscure African tribe with a miserable malaria infection, but only if they don't get it together, have their family learn a new language and sell enough 10 cent wooden spoons to relocate to God's country. Asking us to give up a four hour commute going 5 MPH in traffic, breathing automobile exhaust and plasticizers, with the AC fighting the solar oven effect -- what kind of a cruel God would ask us to give up this prosperous lifestyle?
Limbaugh does not speak regularly about his belief in evolution or creationism, although he has occasionally blown off fossil findings and denounced evolution as more or less bullshit. He has definitively proclaimed his belief in creationism at one time or another.
Limbaugh has fear-mongered about the flu vaccine. His opposition to the vaccination, though, seemed to be mostly based on the fact that the government recommended the vaccine, and he didn't want to take it, dammit!
 "Phony soldiers"
A phony soldier, according to Limbaugh (who was not accepted for military service because of a big cyst on his ass), is any soldier who has served in Iraq and has since spoken out against the Iraq War. This definition was expanded by other Chickenhawks to include decorated Vietnam War veterans such as Jack Murtha and John Kerry who were also critical of the invasion.
 General stupidity
- Limbaugh doesn't think very highly of atheists, of course.
- Limbaugh accused Michael J. Fox of faking symptoms of Parkinson's disease.
- Limbaugh suggested environmentalists were responsible for the BP oil spill.
- Limbaugh thinks political correctness and ACORN caused the banking crisis.
- Limbaugh made an incredibly racist imitation of the Chinese president which consisted of him saying "Chin chau gon don gong kao song" for almost five minutes. He was forced to apologize by the Asian community.
- According to Limbaugh, if one receives taxpayer-paid birth control, their acts should be posted online for everyone (presumably him) to see.
- Limbaugh opined on air that anyone on birth control is a slut—even the ones who, you know, may be taking those hormones to control any number of medical conditions, such as acne or aggravated menstrual pain, rather than just to have wild sex parties. A move that totally didn't cost him any of his advertising revenue... Oh wait.
- Defended the brutal Christian terrorist group, the Lord's Resistance Army, when Obama announced he was sending military advisors to help fight them.
- Decided that a hidden lesson of the Boston Marathon bombings was that white people are horribly oppressed while dark-skinned people are not, mainly because a white suspect would've been more readily identified and his background information revealed.
 Family Values
- Limbaugh was eligible for the draft on 12 January 1969. After graduating from high school, Limbaugh enrolled in college, but dropped out after a year. When Uncle Sam came calling, he somehow dodged the draft by claiming that he had an anal cyst. Funny thing, the draft continued for more than three years afterward. You'd think he would've gotten that thing lanced in that time. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
- Limbaugh has been married four times. His third marriage ceremony, in 1994, was officiated by kiss-arse Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and held at Thomas' house. His fourth marriage involved a performance by Elton John. He has yet to spawn.
- Limbaugh is also a (recovering) drug addict and narrowly avoided going to prison. So, naturally, he is one of the right wing's most strident voices on the importance of family values.
 Status as a conservative
He claims to be the "prestigious Attila the Hun chair" of the "Limbaugh Institute of Advanced Conservative Studies". Or perhaps he is sitting in it.
 Rush, political boss
By the spring of 2009, Limbaugh began to be seen as the de facto leader of the Republican party. Following a controversial on-air statement to his own party about "wanting Obama to fail", Limbaugh demanded the
balls apologies of two prominent Republicans, Eric Cantor and Michael Steele, for saying Limbaugh's comments were unacceptable. Both promptly apologized. White House spokesman, Robert Gibbs, challenged Republicans to come out and say "Limbaugh is wrong, we do not want this country or the President to fail". To date, no Republican has yet publicly said Limbaugh is wrong, implying who really is in charge of the GOP.
 Political action
 The Sandra Fluke catastrophic meltdown
“”Everything is fine on the business side. Everything is cool. Not a single thing to worry about.
|—Rush, March 9, 2012, after over 50 sponsors had left the show|
After literally decades of misogynist tirades, chants of "liberal feminazi", and attempts to degrade any woman in power (not to mention equally ugly treatment of gays, liberals, thinkers, scientists he disagrees with, etc.), on February 29, 2012 Rush finally crossed the line with language so offensive even his own party questioned his stance. In late February, congressional republicans and the Republican candidates for president began to call out the President on his mandatory inclusion of birth control in insurance plans offered by any employer. "It violates our religious freedom!" they claimed. In a House hearing on the whole thing, 5 men were invited to testify about why it's important to protect religious freedom and how providing birth control via insurance violates their freedoms. Sandra Fluke, a 30-year-old law student and otherwise private citizen, intended to testify before Congress about this contraception requirement, and the Blunt Amendment, which would allow employers the ability to deny women contraception, or any other medical care, from their insurance plans based on their religious beliefs. She was denied her right to testify in front of the committee by the Republican Chair as being "unqualified". An uproar hit the political world, media and social networks. And for what it's worth, the testimony she was to give, which was later broadcast on national TV, though never to the Committees, was about a friend who needed birth control to prevent painful ovarian cysts - a medication that the religious institution they attended would not pay for, due to "religious beliefs".
“”“Can you imagine, if you were her parents, how proud…you would be? Your daughter…testifies she’s having so much sex she can’t afford her own birth control pills and she wants President Obama to provide them, or the pope...
That's when Rush stepped into the
fray total shit storm. Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a "slut" and a "prostitute". That alone would not likely have been a problem, but he carried on, with similar language for three days; each day escalating the ugliness of the attack. Limbaugh even suggested that if women such as Fluke expected the government (i.e., the American taxpayers) to pay for their birth control, then "we" (the American taxpayers) should be able to watch video of their sexual activities. All this against a young woman who didn't even mention sex, outside of a basic acknowledgment of what birth control is for, who was merely trying to explain her point of view.
Note that it also appears Limbaugh has little room to attack anyone's sexual private life, since he was caught carrying Viagra back from a trip to the Dominican Republic, despite being unmarried at the time. He described the trip to his audience saying, "I had a great time in the Dominican Republic. Wish I could tell you about it." The Dominican Republic is known as a vacation spot for "sex tourists".
As if his insults against Fluke and women in general weren't enough, later in the same week, referring to a woman with a Bachelor's degree, he actually asked: "What is it with all these young, single, white women? Overeducated doesn’t mean intelligent", which makes one wonder what the word "overeducated" could possibly mean.
In the aftermath of the Fluke affair, Limbaugh's show lost over fifty advertisers, was dropped from two radio stations, taken off the purchase list of one advertising agency. Also, the musical group Rush issued a cease-and-desist preventing their music being played as the background during broadcasts. This led to a hilarious situation where there was five minutes of dead air on Limbaughs' show, as the time normally reserved for advertisements was either empty, or filled with Public Service Announcements. On March 9th, the Public Service announcements which were running for free even pulled out.
On March 10th, 98 companies (including major companies like Toyota, Ford, Allstate) informed Rush's network that they would no longer advertise on Rush's show... or any other offensive or controversial radio show, such as Sean Hannity or Michael Savage. News site ThinkProgress managed to capture a memo from Premiere Networks before the original page was deleted, listing 141 advertisers that asked not to sponsor these programs, including some rather big ones that normally benefit from such conservative associations, such as American Express, McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Wells Fargo and the United States Army.
Even the President of the US stepped into the discussion, calling Sandra Fluke personally, to say her parents "would be proud of her" despite Rush's ugly claim otherwise. He later said "...I thought about Malia and Sasha, and one of the things I want them to do as they get older is to engage in issues they care about; even ones I may not agree with them on. ... And I don’t want them attacked or called horrible names because they’re being good citizens.".
“”“I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for using those two words to describe her.
Limbaugh issued what he called an "apology", while claiming that the discussion was about "personal sexual recreational activities" and feeling sorry for stooping down to the level and tactics of liberals. A three day, non stop attack against one woman in particular, and in general women all around the world who use birth control in contexts that no one would think are "slutty" is wrong simply because "he should have used different words".
 Back assward
Limbaugh, head firmly planted where the sun doesn't shine, has said that he is not losing any money or sleep over it, and is in fact amused that the feminazis are showing they have no power, because they can't make him leave the air. Rumor has it he also stomped his foot, stuck his fingers in his ear, stuck out his tongue and said "LALALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU!". However, that hasn't stopped his producers from scrubbing Limbaugh's website of the controversial comments. On the 8 March 2012 broadcast, only two intentionally paid advertisers ran ads during his show—no word on how well he's sleeping yet.
 Back pay
On 12 March 2012 Limbaugh took a much-needed day off and his program was filled-in by Mark Steyn. At the same time, Premiere Networks released an order asking affiliates to "[p]lease replace/re-traffic any Premiere barter spots immediately. Contractual requirements to run barter spots are being suspended for these two weeks only. Replace them with Lifelock and Lear Financial or a local spot of your choice."
 Back to the megaphone
Limbaugh returned to his show on 14 March 2012 to assert that he's not anti-woman, just anti-feminism. To further prove he loves women, he continued to label the National Organization of Women as "NAGs", made references to his three marriages and asserted that being a judge for the Miss America beauty pageant should be sufficient evidence, despite his previous statements.
 Other notable controversies
- For some reason, ESPN concluded Limbaugh was the voice of the average NFL fan and hired him to do "color commentary" during the 2004 season (perhaps they confused it with John Madden, a reasonable mistake except that Madden already worked for Disney). This seemed to go well and good, until Limbaugh said Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated, and claimed that he was lionized because of his race rather than his talent. This cost Limbaugh his job, cementing his reputation, as he does constantly, as a "big, fat idiot."
- Limbaugh once told an African-American caller to get the "bone out of his nose" and speak more clearly.
- Frequently played the racist song "Barack The Magic Negro," and referred to Barack Obama as "Halfrican American."
- In 1993, Limbaugh implied thirteen-year-old Chelsea Clinton was a dog.
- Limbaugh compared Barack Obama's style of governing to that of Adolf Hitler. (He was envious.)
- On July 2, 2010 he claimed that Obama created the recession as a payback for racism.
- Limbaugh promised to leave the country if the Obama-driven health care bill  passed: "I'll just tell you this, if this passes and it's five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented -- I am leaving the country. I'll go to Costa Rica for healthcare."  Interestingly, Costa Rica has universal, nationalized health care. In addition, he decided to up the level of crazy when he Godwinned on the subject in March 2013; his belief is that the Affordable Care Act wasn't so much about expanding coverage to the under-insured or uninsured as it was an effort by Obama to go all Hitler on us since "healthcare has always been, nationalized healthcare has always been one of the first objectives of any of the famous totalitarian regimes. Hitler, national socialism, first thing he did, nationwide healthcare". However, public health care laws existed in Germany since 1883 and one of the few changes introduced by the Nazi regime barred voluntary insurees from joining health care funds, thereby giving rise to private health insurance companies in Germany.  Likewise, according to Limbaugh, "the socialists in the UK" also were for nationalized healthcare though he conveniently leaves out the fact that (A) Labour was part of the coalition government that directed British war efforts against Hitler, (B) won a large Parliamentary majority in a democratic election in 1945, against no less than the party of beloved war leader Winston Churchill, in which part of their program included a national health service and (C) just as easily ceded back political power after they lost their majority in 1951.. So much for
bullshithyperbole. He also seems profoundly ignorant of the fact that the National Health Service still exists to this day regardless of which political party is in power.
- He seems to be under the impression (aided by questionable, unidentified studies, of course) that all lesbians are obese substance abusers.oh, the irony...
- Limbaugh blames Robin Williams "leftist" view on the world as a cause of death. 
 Nobel Prize nomination
Yes, he was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize in 2007.
However, unlike regular prize contests - like the Academy Awards - where the list of all eligible persons is reduced to a handful of final nominees, any person, institution and/or association may be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and nomination itself isn't seen as a particular special status. (And they don't have to be all that peaceful, either, considering the prize exists only because of a man who helped make modern warfare possible. For example, Adolf Hitler was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize in 1939, and Joseph Stalin for beating Hitler in 1945. Consider the people the Nobel Prize committee allows to submit nominations:
- Members of national assemblies and governments of states;
- Members of international courts;
- University rectors; professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology; directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes;
- Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize;
- Board members of organizations who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize;
- Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (proposals by members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after February 1); and
- Former advisers appointed by the Norwegian Nobel Institute.
In other words, any well-connected person with any political agenda may nominate any other person for the Nobel Peace Prize, regardless of whether that other person deserves it. Once the nomination is accepted - and rejections are rare - that person then officially becomes a "Nobel Peace Prize nominee."
 On wit da Show
Limbaugh has nicknamed all of his call screeners "Snerdley." Among the first names given them:
- Chin Yang
Bo Snerdley is the nickname given to James Golden, the most recognized "Snerdley." Limbaugh's defenders often single out Golden, an African-American, as evidence that Limbaugh is not a racist. After all, their simplistic logic goes, would a racist work so closely with an African-American?
A caller once asked Limbaugh to explain the origin of "Snerdley." Limbaugh explained that when he was a disc jockey in his hometown, he developed mental blocks while talking on the air. "Snerdley" was a fictitious person inside Limbaugh's head which he talked to (while still on the air) until the block cleared. Hmmm. Oxycontin or hydrocodone, anyone?
 Annual Thanksgiving story
Of course, you can't be a major right-wing mouthpiece if you don't re-write history to show that laissez-faire free market practices always succeed, while collectivism always fails. Such is the case with Limbaugh's annual telling of (his version of) the first American Thanksgiving. Limbaugh was so pleased with this story that he dedicated an entire chapter to it in his second book, See I Told You So.
Limbaugh has published two books (crayons sold separately):
- The Way Things Ought to Be (1992); Pocket Books ISBN 067175145X (John Fund, collaborator)
- See, I Told You So (1993); Pocket Books ISBN 067187120X (Joseph Farah, collaborator)
- Creamy Color Crayons (no blacks included) ISBN 1400628644 (Sean Hannity, collaborator)
There is an attempt at a humorous section in book two: a "politically correct" dictionary, which lists unicorns as an endangered species, as well as the abominable snowman. Both books are an ego trip for Limbaugh, in which he proclaims himself to be the most intelligent individual in the world.
- I hurl gab mush
- Largish bum, uh?
 See also
- Rush Limbaugh's radio show homepage
- Source of criticism for some of Limbaugh's claims
- Media Matters entry for Rush Limbaugh
- Limbaugh's admission of pain killer addiction
- Press release from Landmark Foundation announcing Limbaugh's nomination for Nobel Prize
- Limbaugh's incident with Viagra at airport of CBS News
- to pain killer lawsuit Limbaugh v. Florida
- ↑ We have no clue whether he has completed the recovery or still recovering or has stopped the recovery at some point. Any of those would probably be on the news should it be made public. Best of wishes, Rush, from all of us on the Ratwiki team!
- ↑ Bill Hicks, Rant in E-Minor, 1997. The relevant track may be heard at this place.
- ↑ 
- ↑ Monkey Fossil Hailed as Missing Link, Limbaugh's website
- ↑ Rush Limbaugh: Evolution = Liberalism, Sensuous Curmudgeon
- ↑ 
- ↑ Beck, Limbaugh fomenting fear about H1N1 vaccine
- ↑ http://www.snopes.com/military/limbaugh.asp
- ↑ Limbaugh on atheists
- ↑ Limbaugh on the offensive against ad with Michael J. Fox
- ↑ Has he gone too far?
- ↑ Scapegoating minorities
- ↑ Limbaugh on Georgetown University law student Sandra "Sally" Fluke
- ↑ Daily Kos -I've spent the past 2 days trying to convince my 16 y/o she is not a "slut"
- ↑ http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/05/rush-limbaugh-contract-sandra-fluke/64904/
- ↑ transcript
- ↑ The Boston Bombings and White Privilege, Dispatches from the Culture Wars
- ↑ Fortunately - cursed by the baby Jeebus?
- ↑ http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/3/2/13503/89801/65/703693
- ↑ "Steele to Rush: I'm sorry" Politico.com
- ↑ Limbaugh's arrest
- ↑ The Web, Where 'Pimps' Roam Free
- ↑ "Limbaugh Blasts 'Overeducated' Young Single White Women", The Raw Story
- ↑ "Rush Limbaugh’s Advertisers Facing Social Media Firestorm", ThinkProgress
- ↑ "Second Ratio Station drops Limbaugh", ThinkProgress
- ↑ 
- ↑ "Limbaugh threatened with lawsuit by supergroup Rush, The Raw Story
- ↑ ThinkProgress: Rush Limbaugh Show Includes Over 5 Minutes Of Dead Air As Advertiser Exodus Continues
- ↑ MediaMatters:Limbaugh's Advertiser Exodus Expands Exponentially
- ↑ "Premier Networks' List of Advertisers Asking Not To Advertise On Limbaugh and Other Right-Wing Hosts"
- ↑ "EXCLUSIVE: 141 Companies Drop Advertising From Rush Limbaugh", ThinkProgress
- ↑ Ok, he didn't say that word, in this particular interview
- ↑ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/07/limbaugh-advertiser-response-fluke_n_1326897.html
- ↑ "Limbaugh Scrubs Fluke Attack", ThinkProgress
- ↑ Who, apparently, are still sponsoring the show.
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ Conservative Radio Host Rush Limbaugh. Time
- ↑ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/06/limbaugh-adolf-hitler-lik_n_253412.html
- ↑ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/07/rush-limbaugh-obama-creat_n_637716.html
- ↑ Note, Obama has yet to "write" a health care bill. All proposals are being originated in the Congress.
- ↑ CBS news
- ↑ Limbaugh: Health Care Reform Just Like Hitler! Dispatches From the Culture Wars
- ↑ History of private health insurance (German)
- ↑ List of United Kingdom general elections, Wikipedia
- ↑ With No Irony, Rush Limbaugh Says Lesbians are Obese Substance Abusers, Daily Kos
- ↑ http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/12/rush-limbaugh-robin-williams-killed-himself-because-of-a-political-leftist-attitude/
- ↑ http://nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/nomination.php?action=show&showid=2609
- ↑ http://nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/nomination.php?action=show&showid=3323
- ↑ http://nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/nominators.html
- ↑ See the Wikipedia article on Thanksgiving.
- ↑ Transcript from the 2006 reading. Includes a long-winded prologue about his trip to Afghanistan, Ann Coulter, etc.