Bharatiya Janata Party
| A guide to|
|Persons of interest|
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP, literally "Indian People's Party") is a far-right Hindu nationalist and socially conservative political party in India. The BJP and its associated organizations often mix mythology with history and religion with science in their politics and public policies.
The Parent organisation of BJP is Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), a far-right, paramilitary organization advocating Hindutva, which was banned on three separate occasions, once after Mahatma Gandhi's assassination (for which one of their members was responsible), and most recently after they razed the Babri Mosque that it was built over a Hindu temple.
- 1 History
- 2 Views Towards Women
- 3 Notable Members
- 4 What their leaders say
- 4.1 'Astrology is the topmost science'
- 4.2 'Human excretion by atheists caused floods'
- 4.3 'Ancient nuclear test'
- 4.4 'Millennia-ago genetics research enabled in vitro fertilization'
- 4.5 'Ancient cosmetic surgeon successfully grafted the elephant head on the human body'
- 4.6 'Cow urine and cow dung cure cancer'
- 4.7 'Cow is the only animal to inhale as well as exhale oxygen'
- 4.8 People who feel unsafe in India should be bombed
- 4.9 Kill all intellectuals
- 4.10 Speaking Sanskrit keeps diabetes and cholesterol at bay
- 4.11 Muslims keeping cows is Love Jihad
- 4.12 Indian cow milk contains gold, therefore yellowish
- 4.13 Maths never helped Einstein discover gravity
- 4.14 Children who eat eggs will turn into man-eaters
- 4.15 Foreign cows are our aunties
- 4.16 Brahmins Have different DNA
- 4.17 Sun chants om
- 4.18 Arjun's arrowhead had nuclear power
- 4.19 Goddess Lakshmi On bank notes
- 4.20 Blow conch and bathe in mud to build immunity
- 4.21 'Drink cow urine and apply cow dung to cure Coronavirus'
- 4.22 Cow dung chips
- 4.23 No beef For tigers
- 4.24 Women must live within limits
- 5 What their leaders do
- 6 BJP IT Cell a.k.a WhatsApp University
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 Notes
- 10 References
- Founded in 1980.
- In 1992, destruction of Babri Mosque.
- In the 1999 general election, the BJP won 183 seats in the parliament and formed the national government. Atal Bihari Vajpayee became the Prime Minister of India.
- In 2001, BJP minister Murli Manohar Joshi tried to introduce astrology as a course in Indian university syllabus. And he succeeded.
- In 2002, communal riots happened in the BJP-ruled state of Gujarat, leaving 1,044 dead, 223 missing, and 2,500 injured
- In the 2004 general election, the BJP did not get enough seats in the parliament to form the national government.
- In 2007, BJP opposed the demolition of Ram Setu a.k.a. Adam Bridge (India-Sri Lanka border), adding that it will demolish the bridge supposedly built by the Hindu God Rama.
- In the 2014 general election, the BJP won 282 seats and formed the national government. Narendra Modi became the Prime Minister of India.
- In 2017, BJP imposed a ban on the sale and purchase of cow for slaughter in most states of India, since cow is considered sacred in some Hindu castes.
- In the 2019 general election, the BJP won 303 seats and formed the national government. Narendra Modi was re-elected as the Prime Minister of India.
- In 2019, Supreme Court of India ordered that disputed land of Babri Mosque be handed over to the Ram Temple Trust. 
- In 2019, BJP implemented a new discriminatory Citizenship Law that leads to protests and police brutality across the Country, Leaving 25 people dead within a week.
- In 2020, Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for Ram Temple.
Views Towards Women
“”What if Hindu kings, who occasionally defeated their Muslim counterparts, had also raped their women?
|—Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, one of the daddies of Hindutva Movement.|
BJP has the highest number of elected officials with cases for crimes against women, including rape.
Modi is the current Prime Minister of India.
Kuldeep Singh Sengar
Kuldeep Singh Sengar is an elected BJP MLA who is convicted of rape, murder, attempt to murder, criminal conspiracy and criminal intimidation for raping a minor and killing the victim's father in police custody, murdering two aunts and paralyzing the victim's lawyer after two years, when a truck rammed into the car they were travelling in.
Pragya Singh Thakur
Pragya Singh Takur is a member of Parliament and terror accused, who for a brief period was appointed as a member of the Defence Committee before being dismissed for calling Gandhi's Murderer a "Patriot".. She was accused of taking part in the 29 September 2008 western India bombings after her bike was found to be used in the blast and was arrested. In 2017, she was given bail on health grounds. In 2019, she contested the 2019 General Election under BJP and won by a margin of 364,822 votes.
In January 1999, Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two sons, aged 11 and 7, were burnt alive by a group of men with links to the Bajrang Dal, an affiliate of RSS while they were sleeping inside a Station Wagon. Sarangi was chief of the Bajrang Dal at that time.
In 2019, he contested the election and is currently a Minister under BJP.
Militant Monk, world-class misogynist and self-appointed saviour of cows and Hinduism.
Amit Shah is currently serving as the Minister of Home Affairs. He served as the President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) from 2014 to 2020. He is the chief strategist of the BJP and a close aide to Narendra Modi. The Steve Bannon of India.
What their leaders say
'Astrology is the topmost science'
“”Jyotish is a science to make calculations lakhs [100,000s] of years in advance. All other sciences have been dwarfed by our ancient astrologers. Astrology is the number one science for the entire world. We should promote the science… I want to say that astrology is the topmost science in the world.
|—Ramesh Pokhriyal, BJP MP|
'Human excretion by atheists caused floods'
“”However, as time passed, atheists came here, mainly for business purposes. This resulted in nature's fury at Kedarnath in 2013 … immediate reason was cloudburst and excessive rains… But the underlying reason was human excretion"
|— Uma Bharti|
'Ancient nuclear test'
“”Today we are talking about nuclear tests. Lakhs of years ago, Sage Kanad had conducted a nuclear test. Our knowledge and science do not lack anything.
|—Ramesh Pokhriyal, BJP MP|
So, according to his argument, the Trinity, the nuclear test conducted in 1945 was not the first nuclear test. An ancient Indian sage who lived well over 2,000 years ago conducted a nuclear test far before Trinity. That seems
batshit crazy perfectly sensible.
'Millennia-ago genetics research enabled in vitro fertilization'
In the Indian epic Mahabharata, a character Karna is described as having born to an unmarried woman. In 2014, India's prime minister Narendra Modi, while delivering a lecture in front of a group of doctors and other professionals, said that Karna's birth outside his mother's womb is the proof of the existence of genetic science in ancient India:
“”We all read about Karna in the Mahabharata. If we think a little more, we realise that the Mahabharata says Karna was not born from his mother's womb. This means that genetic science was present at that time. That is why Karna could be born outside his mother’s womb.
|—Narendra Modi, BJP politician and the 14th Prime Minister of India|
'Ancient cosmetic surgeon successfully grafted the elephant head on the human body'
Ganesha is a well-known Hindu deity. His body is that of a human and his head is that of an elephant. In 2014, Indian prime minister Narendra Modi suggested that this could be possible because an ancient Indian plastic surgeon transplanted an elephant's head on the body of a human being. Yes, this was the prime minister. People like this are in charge all over the world.
“”We worship Lord Ganesha. There must have been some plastic surgeon at that time who got an elephant’s head on the body of a human being and began the practice of plastic surgery."
|—Narendra Modi, BJP politician and the 14th Prime Minister of India|
'Cow urine and cow dung cure cancer'
“”I am witness to it, cow dung and urine are a 100 per cent cure for cancer.
|—Shankarbhai Vegad, BJP MP|
In 2019, During an election rally BJP MP and small-time terrorist Pragya Singh Takur claimed that a mixture of cow urine and other cow products cured her breast cancer. She also underwent bilateral mastectomy procedure, but she's pretty sure it's the cow urine that worked.
'Cow is the only animal to inhale as well as exhale oxygen'
In 2017, the education minister of the Indian state of Rajasthan Vasudev Devnani claimed that the cow is the only animal that inhales as well as exhales oxygen. He underscored the 'scientific significance' of the cow by saying:
“”The cow is the only animal that takes in oxygen and also releases oxygen. … there is a need to understand the scientific significance of the cow and ensure that the message reaches all people…
|—Vasudev Devnani, education minister of the Indian state of Rajasthan|
“”only animal that not only inhales oxygen but also exhales it.
Of course, plenty of oxygen-breathers exhale oxygen. When humans breathe air, it's about 21% oxygen; about 16% of an exhale is oxygen. Sorry, Rekha Arya; cows just aren't as special as you think they are.
People who feel unsafe in India should be bombed
As a response to the criticism of growing violence across the country, elected BJP MLA Vikram Saini said,
“”My personal view is that those who say they feel unsafe and threatened in India should be bombed. Give me a ministry and I will bomb all such people, not even one will be spared.
Kill all intellectuals
Repeating his party's opinion about Intellectuals, BJP lawmaker Basanagouda Patil Yatnal said,
“”Intellectuals live in this country and use all facilities for which we pay tax. Then they raise slogans against our Army. India faces grave danger from them. If I was Home Minister, I would have issued orders to shoot them.
Speaking Sanskrit keeps diabetes and cholesterol at bay
“”As per a research done by a US-based academic institution, speaking the Sanskrit language daily boosts the nervous system and keeps diabetes and cholesterol at bay.
On the same occasion, he also said,
Muslims keeping cows is Love Jihad
“”Cows in the houses of Muslims should be taken back. When we consider girls from our homes going to their homes as 'love jihad', shouldn't we consider 'gau mata' going to their homes 'love jihad' too? This is love jihad. Cows should be taken back from them at any cost.
Indian cow milk contains gold, therefore yellowish
“”Desi cows have a hump on their back. Foreign breeds do not have a hump and their backs are plain like that of a buffalo. The hump has ‘Swarna Nari’. When sunlight falls on the hump, it produces gold. That is why the milk of desi cow is yellowish or lightly golden. It contains gold.
Maths never helped Einstein discover gravity
“”Don’t get into those maths; those maths never helped Einstein discover gravity. … If he had only gone by structured formulae and what was past knowledge, I don’t think there would have been any innovation in this world.
|—Piyush Goyal, Commerce Minister of India.|
Children who eat eggs will turn into man-eaters
Foreign cows are our aunties
In 2019, Bengal BJP president Dilip Ghosh, while explaining the superiority of Indian cows, said,
“”The breeds of cows that we bring from abroad are not cows. They are a kind of 'janwar' (beast). These foreign breeds don't sound like cows. Those are not our Taumata (mother) but our aunties. It is not good for the country if we worship such aunties.
|— Dilip Ghosh, BJP Politician.|
Brahmins Have different DNA
In 2020, BJP leader and Gujarat Assembly Speaker, while addressing the "Mega Brahmin Business Summit" (basically an Indian version of a white supremacist meeting) said Brahmins have different DNA while adding that most Nobel Prize winners from India are Brahmins.
“”We are born as Brahmins and we have the DNA of Brahmin.
|— Rajendra Trivedi, BJP Politician.|
He didn't miss the opportunity to make another racist remark:
“”Friends, if you have been to Africa, you must have seen the colour and look of the people. You must have seen people in China, you can’t even tell whether their eyes are open or closed. Same is the case with the Japanese. But, when you come back to our Hindustan and go to Punjab, Haryana etc, you will see well-built (Kadavar) people. You must have seen cows in the small mountains… look at the cows in the flat area. There are state-wise and country-wise differences in the world. This diversity is due to climate and everyone's DNA.
|—Rajendra Trivedi, BJP Politician.|
Sun chants om
“”Nasa Recorded Sound of Sun, SUN CHANTS OM 
Arjun's arrowhead had nuclear power
|—Jagdeep Dhankhar, BJP Politician.|
Goddess Lakshmi On bank notes
“”Prime Minister Narendra Modi can answer this question. I am in favour (of this). Lord Ganesha removes obstacles. I rather say that a picture of Goddess Lakshmi (on currency notes) may improve the condition of Indian currency. Nobody should feel bad about this.
|—Subramanian Swamy, BJP Politician|
Blow conch and bathe in mud to build immunity
When not promoting bigotry and instigating riots, BJP leaders give health advice to the people. In August 2020, BJP MP Sukhbir Singh Jaunapuria shared a video on Facebook in which he advised his people to — blow conch, bathe in mud and eat leaves from various plants — to build immunity from COVID.
“” You will not get immunity by consuming medicines. You will get immunity only naturally. You should go out, into the rain, sit in the mud, do cycling, blow conch shells, eat desi food… There is no need to eat medicines for immunity.
|— Sukhbir Singh Jaunapuria|
Cow dung chips
“” Cow dung will protect everyone, it is anti-radiation… It's scientifically proven… This is a radiation chip that can be used in mobile phones to reduce radiation. It'll be safeguard against diseases.
|—Vallabhbhai Kathiria, Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog Chief|
No beef For tigers
In 2020 October, Assam BJP leader Satya Ranjan Borah expressed his problem with tigers in the zoo eating beef.
“” In Hindu society we give importance to protection of cow, but it is the staple food for carnivores in the zoo and part of government supply. Our objection is — why serve beef? Why not other meat?.
|— Satya Ranjan Borah|
He then offered a solution to feed the tigers with deer from the zoo.
Women must live within limits
“” When you sow a small plant, then you keep watch on it so that wild cattle should not eat that sapling.
|— Surendra Singh|
What their leaders do
Pouring water over a globe to reduce global warming
Beyond Hindutva and bigotry, BJP followers are also concerned about the environment and contribute a lot toward its protection with the help of woo. In 2018 BJP's National Secretary H.Raja poured water over the plastic model of a globe while chanting spells to reduce global warming.
To please the gods of rain, Lalita Yadav, minister of state for woman and child development in Madhya Pradesh organized a frog wedding and married off two frogs.
“”As the environment is not happy with Bundelkhand, we are trying to please the gods to make balance in the environment. In old days, our forefathers used to organise religious rituals at temples to please the gods.
|—Lalita Yadav, BJP Minister|
In November 2020, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced that the government is going to form a "Cow Cabinet" for the welfare of cows.
“”It has been decided to set up a "Cow Cabinet" for the protection and promotion of cows in the state. Animal Husbandry, Forest, Panchayat and Rural Development, Revenue, Home and Farmers Welfare Department will be a part of the "Cow Cabinet"
Just few days after announcing "Cow Cabinet", Madhya Pradesh government announced that they are planning to impose a cess (tax) to generate money for running cow shelters.
“”I am thinking of imposing some minor tax to raise money for the welfare of the gaumata and for the upkeep of cow sheds… Is it alright?
|— Shivraj Singh Chouhan|
Love Jihad Law
In November 2020, governments of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, both under BJP rule announced that they are going to form new law against "Love Jihad", which even the National Commission of Women (a government body under BJP) says they don't have data.
Surgery Permit for Ayurveda
In January 2021, the Cow Commission announced their decision to conduct a nationwide exam for infuse the curiosity about Indian bovines among citizens, the one they lovingly call "Gau Mata" . The study material released, purports Gau Mata as superior to foreign cows. It claims that various diseases can be cured by by-products of Cows. The claims range from earthquakes happening as a result of cow slaughter to existence of gold in the milk of Indian Cows.
BJP IT Cell a.k.a WhatsApp University
“”Real or Fake, We Can Make Any Message Go Viral
|—Amit Shah, BJP Chief strategist, Minister and former president of BJP.|
BJP IT Cell is a group of paid workers who spam the internet with pro-Modi propaganda and hijack online polls.. It is jokingly called WhatsApp University due to their extensive use of the messaging app WhatsApp to spread propaganda.. IT cell is known for generating twitter trends about boycotting famous people who criticize the government.
On July 1, 2020, It was reported that BJP has appointed 9,500 IT cell heads and 72,000 WhatsApp groups for Bihar alone in order to win the state elections.
- Mohenjo-daro — site of an even older claim of a nuclear detonation in India
- Bharat is the Hindi name for India, Bharatiya is the adjective form which means Indian, janata is a Hindi word which means people
- Modi Puts Hindu Myths at Center of India Politics Newsweek
- Myths made reality, bizarre claims made for ancient India's achievements Hindustan Times
- BJP under Modi went too far right, centrist politics needed: Prodyut Bora, BJP IT cell founder The Caravan
- The Far-Right Is Going Global Foreign Policy
- I. K. Shukla (2003). Hindutva: An Autopsy of Fascism as a Theoterrorist Cult and Other Essays. Media House. pp.105–. ISBN 978-81-7495-143-4. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- Les Back and John Solomos (2000), Theories of Race and Racism: A Reader, p.591, ISBN 9780415156714. "It is important to note the marriage between far-right-wing Hindutva ideology and western New Ageism in the works of writers like David Frawley (1994, 1995a, 1995b) who is both a key apologist for the Hindutva movement and the author of various New Age books on Vedic astrology, oracles and yoga."
- Ambedkar's great grandson calls RSS a 'terrorist organisation', calls for ban, MoneyControl, Jan 27, 2020
- "Indian Essentials", Penguin Books India, 01-Jan-2010, 9780143065265, page 384
- Gujarat riot death toll revealed 11-05-2005
- BJP opposes move to demolish `Rama Varadhi' 17-4-2007
- Sayantan Bera and Mayank Agarwal (27 May 2017). "Centre’s ban on sale of cattle for slaughter at animal markets will cripple buffalo trade". Live Mint.
- "Centre bans sale of cows for slaughter at animal markets, brings restrictions on cattle trade". Hindustan Times. 26 May 2017. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- Ayodhya verdict live: Country's unity strengthened after verdict, say religious leaders Times of India
- Not just CAA, it’s a struggle against authoritarianism: Academics unite against police brutalityCAA Protests
- Ram Temple in Ayodhya will be a modern symbol of India's collective will power: PM Modi AIR
- Reading Savarkar: How a Hindutva icon justified the idea of rape as a political tool Scroll
- BJP has highest number of MPs and MLAs with cases of crimes against women, says study India Today
- Expelled BJP MLA Kuldeep Sengar Convicted In Unnao Rape Case NDTV
- Sadhvi Pragya out of defence panel after calling Nathuram Godse a patriot, fired from BJP soon? India Today
- 2008 Malegaon blast: Judge examines Sadhvi Pragya's bike which allegedly was laden with explosives India Today
- Election results: Pragya Thakur wins from Bhopal against Digvijaya Singh Business Today
- Fact Check: Verifying claims about BJP MP Pratap Sarangi being involved in Graham Stains murder in 1999 Fact Hunt
- Minister Pratap Sarangi has blood on his hands; an austere life is not a life without crime National Herald India
- Astrology topmost science, ancient sage did nuclear test: BJP MP Pokhriyal's gems of wisdom Firstpost
- Astrology topmost science, PM Narendra Modi right on Ganesh surgery: Pokhriyal Indian Express
- Jyotish is the Hindi term for astrology.
- Uma says ‘human excretion’ caused U'khand floods Hindustan Times
- Indian prime minister claims genetic science existed in ancient times The Guardian
- Cow dung, urine can cure cancer: BJP MP The Hindu
- Pragya Singh Thakur hailed cow urine, but opted for ‘surgical treatment’ for cancer The Hindu
- Cow only animal that inhales, exhales oxygen: Rajasthan minister The Indian Express
- Cow the only animal to inhale, exhale oxygen, should get ‘Rashtra Mata’ status: BJP leader The Tribune
- People who feel unsafe in India should be bombed: BJP MLA from Muzaffarnagar Indian Express
- Would Have Got Intellectuals Shot If I Were Home Minister: BJP Lawmaker NDTV
- Speaking Sanskrit Keeps Diabetes and Cholesterol at Bay News 18
- Muslims keeping cows is love jihad: Barabanki BJP leader India Today
- BJP Bengal chief Dilip Ghosh’s latest: ‘Desi cow milk contains gold, therefore yellowish in colour’Indian Express
- Maths never helped Einstein discover gravity: Piyush GoyalThe Hindu
- MP BJP leader: Children who eat eggs may turn into man-eaters Indian Express
- Foreign Cows "Not Our Mothers But Aunties": Bengal BJP ChiefNDTV
- Gujarat Assembly Speaker Claims Brahmins Have 'Different DNA' The Wire
- Sound of Sun Twitter
- Flying objects existed during Ramayana days, Arjun’s arrow had nuclear power: West Bengal governor Indian Express
- Lakshmi on banknotes may improve the condition of Indian currency: Subramanian Swamy Telegraph
- Medicines won't give immunity: BJP MP bats for sitting in mud, conch shells The Week
- "Coronavirus: Can cow dung and urine help cure the novel coronavirus?". Retrieved 2020-03-05.
- "Novel coronavirus can be cured with gaumutra, gobar claims Assam BJP MLA Suman Haripriya". Retrieved 2020-03-05.
- Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog Chief Unveils Cow Dung Chips to Combat Mobile Phone Radiation The Wire
- Assam BJP Leader Protests, Says No Beef For Tigers At Guwahati Zoo NDTV
- 'Women must live within limits' Rediff
- BJP’s ‘antics’ Raja in Tamil Nadu gets a lot of attention but not the kind his party needs The Print
- BJP minister gets two frogs married to please gods of rain India Today
- Shivraj Chouhan Announces "Cow Cabinet" In Madhya Pradesh NDTV
- After Cow Cabinet, Madhya Pradesh Plans Tax To Raise Money For Sheds NDTV
- UP Home Department Proposes Tough Law Against "Love Jihad": Report NDTV
- Law Against 'Love Jihad' Soon, 5 Years' Jail, Says Madhya Pradesh Minister NDTV
- "Khichdification": Medical Body Slams Centre's Ayurveda Surgery Move NDTV
- In Syllabus for National Exam on Cows, Rastriya Kamdhenu Aayog Unleashes Half-Truths The Wire
- Real or Fake, We Can Make Any Message Go Viral: Amit Shah to BJP Social Media Volunteers The Wire
- Fake news buster embarrasses BJP IT cell with 'edited' tweetsThe Week
- 'Have You Just Joined WhatsApp University': Twitter Roasts Kiran Bedi For 'Sun Chants Om' Post News Nation
- Deepika Padukone shows up at JNU protest, sparks Twitter calls for boycott of ‘Chhapaak’The Print