There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
In Search of... (TV series)
| Our Feature Presentation|
Films and TV
In Search of… was a 1977 to 1982 television series inspired by three one-hour TV documentaries: In Search of Ancient Astronauts,[note 1] In Search of Ancient Mysteries and The Outer Space Connection,[note 2] and hosted, facepalmingly, by none other than Leonard Nimoy. The show was originally broadcast on commercial television in the United States, inspired a 2002 revival on the the Sci-Fi Channel, with the origin al later rebroadcast on A&E Network and History Channel.
The lead-in to each episode of the original series had In search of… Extraterrestrials, Magic and Witchcraft, Missing Persons, Myths & Monsters, Lost Civilizations, and Strange Phenomena. It also had a verbal disclaimer of "This series presents information based on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations[note 3] but not necessarily not the only ones to the mysteries we will examine."
spoke conspiracy theories, science fiction, wild speculation investigated mysterious things.
The 2002 revival was very short lived, lasting 8 episodes with each episode covering 3 to 4 "mysteries".
The rational and the irrational
As expected from its woo origins In Search of… more often than not suggested incredible solutions for its mysteries. Thankfully for the skeptical viewer, it did go into more rational and plausible explanations for some of the mysteries it looked at.
Some of the better episodes in this regard were:
- Bermuda Triangle Pirates: one of the more rational reasons for some of the smaller disappearances.
- D.B. Cooper
- Amelia Earhart
- Hiroshima Survivors
- Jimmy Hoffa
- Sherlock Holmes: A look at how much of Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle was in his literary creation.
- Jim Jones
- The Lost Colony of Roanoke
- The Lost Dutchman Mine
- Lost Vikings: The Viking Discovery of America
- Nazi Plunder
- Michael Rockefeller
- The San Andreas Fault
- Sodom and Gomorrah: Suggested that an earthquake was what really destroyed these cities.
- The Titanic
- Troy: The story of Heinrich Schliemann's search and discovery of Troy
- King Tut: natural death… or assassination?
- The Walls of Jericho: was it disease, an earthquake, or did it even happen?
Of the 144 episodes, the majority went off in woo woo land with not even 15% (22) in anything approaching rational land. Even with mundane topics like Jack the Ripper wild speculation (that it was a Masonic plot) rather than anything rational (1880s police simply didn't have the tools to capture a serial killer) was the rule. The original show is more useful as a snapshot of 1970's woo then it is for any information it may provide.
The 2002 revival is in some regards worse as when it does go into rational explanations it tries to explain popular views rather then what actually existed. For example the section on vampires used the porphyria explanation which at best only explains a small subset of vampire myths. So small in fact that the idea is generally thrown out on suggestion.
- Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- Bermuda Triangle
- Jim Jones
- Pre-Columbian contact
- Sodom and Gomorrah
- Zachary Quinto investigates the paranormal on History’s revival of In Search Of
- In Search Of. Bermuda Triangle Pirates 1978 Leonard Nimoy Documentary YouTube.
- In Search of DB COOPER YouTube.
- (Leonard Nimoy) In Search Of.. **Dracula** (Season 1 Episode 16) YouTube.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBLn1YK5M3E YouTube.
- In Search Of - Season 6 Episode 12 - Hiroshima Survivors 'YouTube.
- In Search Of...Jim Jones (s06e07) YouTube.
- 4.06-Lost Colony Of Roanoke-In Search of… YouTube.
- (Leonard Nimoy) In Search Of… **The Lost Dutchman Mine** (Season 2 Episode 1) YouTube.
- 3.13-Lost Vikings-In Search of… YouTube.
- In Search of… Nazi Plunder YouTube.
- 2.06-Michael Rockefeller-In Search Of… YouTube.
- 4.14-San Andreas Fault-In Search of… YouTube.
- 3.23-Sodom And Gamorra-In Search of… YouTube.
- In Search Of ~ King Tut YouTube
- [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8Itl0N1Ks In Search Of… The Walls of Jericho (s06e21)'