There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
Linda Moulton Howe
| The woo is out there|
|Aliens did it...|
|... and ran away|
| Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
Linda Moulton Howe (1942–) is a ufologist and "investigative journalist". Among other things, she claims that in 1983 she was shown a secret presidential briefing paper that revealed how "extraterrestrials created Jesus" and placed him on earth "to teach mankind about love and non-violence."
Initially focusing on an environmentalist message, she quickly turned to UFOs and associated phenomena, leading to what is probably her best known work, the 1980 documentary A Strange Harvest, about cattle mutilations that she concludes are unusual animal deaths caused by "non-human intelligence and technology". She claims to have seen secret government documents that prove aliens are annoying the human race by mutilating cattle, abducting people, and zooming around military bases in flying saucers. Howe (in collusion with radio host Art Bell) once vigorously promoted an ordinary hunk of metal as "debris from the Roswell crash", claiming it was a "mystery metal" unlike any seen on earth.
She runs her own website called "EarthFiles.com" where, for a measly $45 a year, you can access her body of work. Howe follows most leads or phone calls if it involves UFOs, ancient aliens, crop circles and environmentalist conspiracies (eg. colony collapse disorder and Monsanto). She occasionally asks real scientists for opinions on these matters, but then promptly dismisses or rationalises them away. She regularly appears on the Ancient Aliens TV series.
She coined the catch phrase "high strangeness" to describe the focus of her Weekly World News-ish style of journalism.
Howe's gullibility and deceptive "reports" have caused even staunch Ufologists to give her extremely low marks for credibility.
“”Someone once summed up Howe very well with two words: ' Media entrepreneur '. While having been a major player in the cattle mutilation mystery, Howe's credibility has gone way down hill as she sensationalizes everything from mundane animal deaths to promoting Brazilian UFO fraud Urandir Oliveira and the Aztec UFO Crash Hoax while selling alien books, videos and lectures. Howe dabbles in all things strange including Bigfoot, crop circles, alien abductions, and UFOs. Howe also sits on the board of advisors to the Roswell UFO Museum along with the likes of Don Schmitt. See Howe's site, which she actually charges a subscription for in order to access some stories. Also see Howe turning an explained animal death into an encounter with Bigfoot. A leap not even Bigfoot itself could make.
“”The most hilarious web posting we have read in a very long time comes from Whitley Strieber's "Unknown Country", dated 9/30/05. Linda Moulton Howe is described as "our Dreamland science reporter". We ask — what, if any, are the scientific qualifications of this pleasant but extremely gullible lady?? Inquiring minds would like to know!
|—Saucer Smear, Vol. 52, Issue No. 10|
Over the years, Howe's "reports" for radio program hosts such as Art Bell, George Noory and Whitley Streiber covered an astonishing range of woo subjects that appeal to UFO enthusiasts, conspiracy theorists, and the Second Coming crowd. Examples:
- "Bigfoot DNA" — Howe says Melba Ketchum has proof that Bigfoot exists.
- "Strange Explosions Sweeping the US" — Howe describes alleged booms, flashes of light, ominous trumpet sounds.
- "Animal Mutilations Strike Again" — Howe says it's happening in Waddy, Kentucky.
- "The Return of Ezekiel's Wheel" — Howe describes recent "eyewitness sightings" of that Biblical thing in the sky.
- "Pyramids Discovered in Alaska and Turkey" — According to Howe, they are "immense structures not only built, but used in some unknown way for a thousand years."
- "Unexplained Explosions Now Worldwide" — Howe says the world is blowing up, supposedly starting with Clintonville, Wisconsin.
- "Missing Time" — Howe scoops "a rare case of documented missing time".
- "Unknown objects in our skies. What are we NOT being told" — Yes, there's an Obama conspiracy to deny UFO presence, according to Howe.
- "Kansas City UFO Wave" — Howe says a "remarkable series of UFO sightings" are being debunked by the media due to some kind of conspiracy.
- "The Rendlesham Code" — Howe endorses a UFO contactee's claims of having telepathically downloaded binary code numbers from aliens.
- "Unprecedented Wave of Animal Mutilations" — Howe warns of a "massive worldwide wave" of hacked-up animals.
- Project Serpo — Howe was one of the first to be taken for a ride by this hoax. As of 2017, she is still saying, with a straight face, that Ebens are our allies in some sort of galactic war.
- Thermo-nuclear war on Mars — Howe uncritically accepts and promotes the dotty ideas of John Brandenburg, thereby disqualifying herself as any kind of science reporter.
- Secret extended Apollo missions — On 29 November 2018 Howe web-published a 3-part essay about Apollo missions 18, 19 and 20, which, she alleges, were carried out in secret and involved contact with aliens. Her information came from one Jon Harold Lavine, who claimed to have been one of the astronauts involved. On the same date Howe talked for two hours on this topic on Coast to Coast AM. She later retracted, but characterized Lavine as a victim of MKULTRA memory-substitution rather than what he actually is — a fraud.
- Last Chance Ministries Linda Howe says that Jesus Christ is The "Central Focus" of ETs and UFOs
- Joe Nickell Circular Reasoning: The ‘Mystery’ of Crop Circles and Their ‘Orbs’ of Light Skeptical Inquirer
- Linda Moulton Howe An Alien Harvest: Further Evidence Linking Animal Mutilations and Human Abductions to Alien Life Forms
- Report Compiled By Scientific Research Technologist Indicates Earthly Origin, Howe Says Material Is Still Anomaly UfoWatchdog.com
- The Last Open Letter To Linda Moulton Howe UFO UpDates
- Whitley Streiber's Dreamland
- Did NASA/JPL Fudge Xenon-129 Data for Both Mars and Venus? Earthfiles, 22 December 2017
- Open letter to Linda Moulton Howe "The Emoluments of Mars" blog, 22 December 2017
- Part 1: Did Secret Apollo 17 Astronaut Photograph Grey Non-Human On Moon? --Earthfiles
- "Jon Lavine's tale is not honest --Earthfiles, 20 December 2018