Minjoo Party of Korea
| How the sausage is made|
The Together Democratic Party (더불어민주당, Deobureominjudang), also known as the Minjoo Party of Korea (민주당) and the Democratic Party of Korea, is a centre to centre-left[note 1] mainstream liberal party in South Korea. It is now the ruling party. The party is interested in women's rights and social welfare policies, but is indifferent or conservative with regards to other minority issues.[note 2]
This party is unfriendly to the union movement.
This party has a discriminatory view of the mentally disabled as much as a conservative-leaning party. This party also advocates the compulsory hospitalization system for mentally ill people without trial. It also indirectly advocates rampant violence in Korean society against the mentally ill.
The party officially legalized abortion in April 2019. (Until then, there was a law prohibiting abortion in South Korea.)
However, this doesn't mean that the party is sex-positive; a large portion of its members and supporters are against the legalization of pornography and the sale of certain explicitly revealing sex toys, including sex dolls.
In addition, the 'Women's Violence Prevention Act'(여성폭력방지기본법. 2018) was enacted to protect only biological women and was criticized by men in their 20s and by LGBT human rights organizations. Men in their 20s think it is a party that favors only women.
- Social liberalism — But only women, politics and economic issues are limited.
- Sunshine Policy
- Moon Jae-in — Current President of South Korea.
- South Korean political standards. Except for the issue of women's rights, the party is close to the right and conservatism in Western European political standards on social issues.
- Lee Hae-chan the party's leader, caused controversy for his discriminatory remarks against Vietnamese women and his hate speech against disabled people, But he did not lose significant support and is still the party leader.
The leader of the center-left liberal party made the like neo-Nazi or Donald Trump remarks.Human rights groups are demanding his resignation. but he did not apologize properly and the incident was ended with happening.
- Since the inauguration of the Obama administration, the U.S. has been taking a fairly pro-Japanese diplomatic line to check China. Minjoo Party basically has a very negative tendency towards Japan's right-wing government. But on social issues, liberal Minjoo Party and progressive Justice Party is more friendly to American culture than the conservative United Future Party.
- Japan had colonized Korea in the past. Japan also committed various war crimes in World War II (ex. Exploitation, slaughter, sexual slavery, forced labor, etc.). Also, officials and the military, who collaborated with the Japanese Empire in the past, have colluded with the political right-wing since liberation. For this reason, liberals and leftists in South Korea, made up of former independence(the Japanese colonial period) and democracy(the military dictatorship) activists, have a negative view of Japan.
- Former governor of South Chungcheong Province 'Ahn Hee-jung', former mayor of Busan 'Oh Keo-don', former Seoul Mayor 'Park Won-soon', etc.