| It doesn't stop|
at the water's edge
Rodrigo Roa Duterte (1945–) is the current
Dictator President of the Philippines since 2016. He has been comparable to fellow lunatic US President Donald Trump for inappropriate remarks and being an outright dickhead. Unlike Trump, who only thought he could get away with killing someone in public, Duterte has actually repeatedly bragged of killing people extrajudicially while he was the mayor of Davao.
During Duterte's tenure as mayor Davao (1988-1998, 2001-2010, 2013-2016), he was allegedly complicit with the Davao Death Squad which operated from around 1993 onwards. In 2009, the Human Rights Council of the United Nations and Human Rights Watch accused Duterte of being supportive of the death squad.
He is known for his War on Drugs as soon as he became President and has often just killed anyone who does drugs because apparently doing drugs is way worse than murdering people. He has also been quite sexist and likes bragging about raping women and otherwise attacking women's genitals. Duterte also uses homphobic slurs, but it's okay, because he used to be gay.
Crimes against humanity aside, Duterte has made many inflammatory statements in public: attacks against Pope (the "son of a whore"), the Catholic Church ("full of shit"), and a rape "joke", none of which have seemed to sway public opinion of him. The last straw may have been Duterte's insulting God:
“”What he did was, Eve eats the apple, then she wakes up Adam.… So Adam eats the apple. Then, malice was born. Who is this stupid God? That [expletive] is really stupid if that's the case.…
- Duterte confirms killing 3 rapist-kidnappers by Kathlyn dela Cruz (Posted at 09 Dec 2015 08:27 PM | Updated as of 10 Dec 2015 01:31 AM) ABS-CBNnews.com
- Philippines: Duterte confirms he personally killed three men (16 December 2016) BBC.
- See the Wikipedia article on Davao Death Squad.
- Promotion And Protection Of All Human Rights, Civil, Political, Economic, Social And Cultural Rights, Including The Right To Development A/HRC/11/2/Add.8 (29 April 2009) UN General Assembly of the Human Rights Council
- "You Can Die Any Time": Death Squad Killings in Mindanao (2009) Human Rights Watch.
- Duterte jokes that his soldiers can rape women under martial law in the Philippines by Avi Selk (May 27, 2017) The Washington Post.
- Duterte: Shoot female rebels in their genitals. Rights groups slam Philippine president for the latest in a series of derogatory and demeaning comments about women. by Ted Regencia (12 Feb 2018) Al Jazeera.
- David Gee, "Mass-Murdering Philippines President Says He'Cured' Himself of Being Gay," Friendly Atheist, June 1, 2019. Accessed July 14, 2019.
- Rodrigo Duterte Wants to Apologize to Pope Francis for Calling Him a 'Son of a Whore' by Nash (Jenkins May 13, 2016) Time.
- Duterte: Catholic Church 'full of shit' by Leila B. Salaverria (07:48 PM January 24, 2017) Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- Leading Philippine presidential contender: Gang rape victim ‘so beautiful’ he wishes he had 'been first' by Travis M. Andrews (April 18, 2016) The Washington Post.
- Rodrigo Duterte: Philippine president attacks Catholic Church, calls God 'stupid' by Kristine Phillips (July 19, 2018) The Washington Post.