There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Frogs, clowns and swastikas|
|Rebuilding the Reich, one meme at a time|
Kyle Sean Chapman (November 12, 1975–) is the founder of the Proud Boys street fighting spin-off group known as the Fraternal Order of the Alt-Knights (FOAK). The spin-off was endorsed by Proud Boys' founder Gavin McInnes. Chapman is also known as Based Stickman for his breaking of a wooden closet rod over an opponent during a melee.
Chapman has served three prison terms so far:
- a 1993 conviction for felony robberies in Texas: he served 30 months of a 5-year prison sentence
- a 2001 conviction for grand theft in California: he served served 2½-years of a 4-year sentence
- a 2009 conviction for illegal weapon sales: he served 5 years of a 63-month sentence
Chapman's federal supervision ended shortly before he appeared at a March 4, 2017 alt-right rally in Berkeley, California (known informally as "The Battle of Berkeley"), where he was first seen to be wielding his eponymous stick. Chapman was charged in August 2017 for actions during the March rally for "suspicion of felony possession of carrying a leaded cane or billy club". In December 2017, Chapman was taken back into custody after he violated the terms of his bail.
During Chapman's 2009 prison sentencing, his own lawyer claimed that Chapman had "severe psychological problems", suffered from auditory and visual hallucinations and "delusions of persecution." During a 2009 prison psychiatric evaluation, Chapman stated that he started abusing alcohol and drugs starting at age 12, including alcohol, LSD, marijuana, and "his substance of choice" huffing Scotchguard™. Chapman has also reported abusing the opioid painkiller Vicodin and occasional use of cocaine following going off his prescribed medications for depression and anxiety and the termination of his mandated psychiatric supervision.
- New "Fight Club" Ready for Street Violence by Bill Morlin (April 25, 2017) Southern Poverty Law Center
- Chapman's Facebook page
- Based Stickman on Twitter
- 1993 Arrest Record The Smoking Gun
- The Kids Are Alt-Knights: Based Stick Man Organizes Offical Miltary Arm of the Proud Boys by BaZiLe (April 2017) Proud Boy Magazine (archived from April 23, 2017).
- Repeat Felon Is Hero Alt-Right Deserves: Ex-con has cracked heads at Berkeley demos (May 8, 2017) The Smoking Gun.
- The People of the State of California v. Kyle Sean Chapman Superior Court of California, County of San Diego (March 28, 2000) The Smoking Gun.
- Right-wing protester charged in Berkeley riot back in custody by Angela Ruggiero (Published: December 21, 2017 at 4:24 pm | Updated: December 22, 2017 at 5:20 am) East Bay Times.