|Frogs, clowns, and swastikas|
|Rebuilding the Reich, one meme at a time|
|Buzzwords and dogwhistles|
Sophia (Youtube alias: Corbis, formerly LtCorbis and soph) (23 September 2004–) is a unique example of why children should not have complete freedom on the internet. She was an American YouTuber with 970,000 subscribers as of May 20, 2019. She has been criticised for videos promoting alt-right themes. She claims her content is ironic, and meant as satirical commentary. Despite this, she has been described as a gatekeeper for the online right, and accused of creating anti-Black, Islamophobic, sexist content.
After repeatedly violating YouTube's community guidelines for making racist and anti-LGBTQ videos, Soph was banned from the platform in 2019. As of 2022, she is still active, though on a way smaller scale and exclusively on Gavin and Milo's pay-to-watch Censored TV website. She did however return to YouTube under the name Corbis, though she rarely even uploads videos there most likely to avoid another account suspension.
Sophia started on YouTube in 2015 when she was 11 years old. She cites PewDiePie as an influence for why she started making Youtube videos. When starting out, she made Call of Duty and Counter-Strike gameplay commentary videos narrated in an expletive-heavy style. In her early content she aims abuse at the U.S. school system and "the cult of mums". In 2017 her channel had 750,000 subscribers.
In May 2019, Soph published a video "Be Not Afraid",[note 1] following this, Joseph Bernstein of BuzzFeed News wrote an article on Soph titled "YouTube’s Newest Far-Right, Foul-Mouthed, Red-Pilling Star Is A 14-Year-Old Girl". Reaction to this was mixed, with conservative commentators claiming it was a hit piece, and others such as the Washington Examiner writing that it was right to highlight the radicalization of child Youtubers.
YouTube removed several of Soph's videos and temporarily restricted her channel from uploading. Despite this, her channel gained over 100,000 subscribers in 2 weeks as she gained popularity with the right wing fringe and appeared as a guest on Infowars.
On the 1st of August 2019, YouTube terminated her account, citing violations of its hate speech policy.
"Genocide the Muslims"
On April 2nd, 2019, another YouTuber called NFKRZ leaked the private logs of a Discord channel Soph was active in and posted screenshots of her directly making horrific mass murder and genocidal speeches against all Muslims (NFKRZ also released a video on his YouTube channel analysing the leaks and providing further context). These screenshots were posted onto Twitter where they went viral. Her exact words were (in all caps of all things):
- "Fuck Muslims[,] [f]uck them all[,] I wish an atomic bomb would drop on the Middle East already[,] I fucking hate those sandniggers with all my might[,]...I wish there would be a Hitler for Muslims[,] [g]as them all". Archived versions of this quote can be seen here on the WayBackMachine and on Archive.is (as well as in the reference cited).
She was confronted by Twitch streamer and YouTuber, Destiny, on April 7th, 2019 about her comments (which were again read out to her verbatim which she didn't deny saying) to which she claimed her speeches were only "hyperbolic": Destiny then asked her "[s]o you aren't defending what you're saying?" to which Soph clarified that "I am defending what I'm saying"; spotting the contradiction Destiny again asks "[s]o you do agree with the things you said", to which Soph deliberately obfuscates and says "...no".
- The conversation between Soph and Destiny starts 573 seconds (9 minutes, 33 seconds) into the stream.
- sewernugget Twitter profile
- soph YouTube profile (Taken down)
- soph BitChute profile
- Soph Freespeech profile (archived from November 5, 2019)
- This video was deleted from YouTube.
- Youtube; Soph, May 14, 2019: Soph's Youtube channel. (archive snapshot)
- Buzzfeed News; Joseph Bernstein, May 13, 2019: YouTube’s Newest Far-Right, Foul-Mouthed, Red-Pilling Star Is A 14-Year-Old Girl. (archive snapshot)
- New Statesman; Eleanor Peake, April 26, 2019: The rise of the ironic teenage right. (archive snapshot)
- Daily Dot; Samira Sadeque, May 14, 2019: This 14-year-old's 'edgy' YouTube channel parrots the far-right. (archive snapshot)
- 14-year-old right-wing YouTuber Soph banned from platform for hate speech. wetheunicorns.com, 6 August 2019.
- Paige Leskin, YouTube barred a 14-year-old conservative personality after she called the LGBTQ community pedophiles. The girl reportedly then posted a photo threatening YouTube HQ with something that looks like a gun. businessinsider.com, 5 August 2019.
- Daily Dot; Jay Hathaway, March 11, 2016: This sweary, savvy, 11-year-old gamer girl is the future of YouTube. (archive snapshot)
- Youtube; Soph, March 16, 2017: THE CULT OF MOMS. (archive snapshot)
- Daily Mail; Tanith Caray, November 28, 2017: From clips glamorising eating disorders to sinister videos masquerading as cartoons... Terrifying truth about what your child watches on YouTube. (archive snapshot)
- Twitter; Paul Joseph Watson, May 14, 2019: BuzzFeed has published a lengthy hit piece on a 14-year-old girl in an attempt to get her deplatformed. Yes, really. (archive snapshot)
- Washington Examiner; Tiana Lowe, May 16, 2019 : BuzzFeed was right to point out the radicalization of child YouTubers. (archive snapshot)
- Bounding into Comics; Spencer Baculi, May 16, 2019: 14-Year Old YouTuber Soph Comes Under Fire for Videos Criticizing Social Justice and Woke Culture (archive snapshot)
- Infowars; The Alex Jones Show, May 15, 2019 : ALEX JONES INTERVIEWS 14-YEAR-OLD THOUGHT CRIMINAL SOPH. (archive snapshot)
- Human Events; Sofia Carbone, May 19, 2019: Buzzfeed Bashes 14-Yr-Old Trump Fan, Celebrates Kids in Drag. (archive snapshot)
- Twitter; soph, August 1, 2019: PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS
- NFKRZ 🇷🇺 @roman_nfkrz (April 2nd, 2019). Remember LtCorbis? The edgy 12 year old commentator from back in the day? This is her now. Yikes.. Twitter. WayBackMachine Link. Archive.is Link. Retrieved December 11th, 2020.
- Soph, And The End Of Her YouTube Hate Rage Saga. 01/08/2019. Eyerys. WayBackMachine Link. Archive.is Link. Retrieved December 11th, 2020.
- . Materia Islamica. WayBackMachine Link. Archive.is Link. Retrieved December 11th, 2020.
- Destiny revisits the Killstream ft. Nicholas Fuentes, Soph & Brittany Venti. YouTube. Retrieved December 11th, 2020.