| Frogs, clowns and swastikas|
|Rebuilding the Reich, one meme at a time|
|Buzzwords and dogwhistles|
#NoMenMidterms is a manufactroversy created by 4chan's /pol/. Right-wingers created images that spoofed the campaign material of Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign and that encouraged men not to vote in the 2018 US midterms. The fake images expanded to cover race (asking white men not to vote with #NoWhiteMales) and the hashtags #LetWomenDecide and #OurTurn.
American actor James Woods was briefly suspended from Twitter for posting a NoMenMidterms image as if it were real. All uses of the hashtags were from conservative accounts, including the fake "Neverland Antifa" account.
These bogus hashtags were preceded by the #WalkAway hashtag and the bogus claim that "Millions of Americans are walking away from the Democrat Party!" Both Breitbart and Epoch Times falsely claimed that #WalkAway was a growing movement among Democrats. The #WalkAway hashtag was alleged to have been started by Brandon Straka, an alleged member of the alt-right, on June 29th, 2018, but its usage goes back to at least 2015.
Straka was a speaker at the Donald Trump rally that immediately preceded the 2021 U.S. Capitol riot. He was also charged with impeding law enforcement officer during civil disorder, and disorderly conduct.
- #NoMenMidterms / #LetWomenDecide, KnowYourMeme
- The_Donald link
- Actor James Woods suspended from Twitter
- #NoMedMidterm search, #LetWomenDecide search, #NoWhiteMales search
- Share your #WalkAway stories with us. Millions of Americans are walking away from the Democrat Party! by Students For Trump @TrumpStudents (9:32 AM - 2 Jul 2018) Twitter (archived from 6 Nov 2018 04:50:14 UTC).
- The #WalkAway meme is what happens when everything is viral and nothing matters by Abby Ohlheiser (July 2, 2018) The Washington Post.
- See the Wikipedia article on WalkAway campaign.
- "@Hokieman307: Done! Next please...." #badIranDeal bad for #DEMOCRATS #libsAbort #WalkAway STRIVE for America @lesstaxingcpa (1:13 AM - 22 Mar 2015) Twitter (archived from 6 Nov 2018 05:21:36 UTC).
- Pilar Melendez, Right-Wing Activist Banned From Airline for Not Wearing Mask Is Charged in Capitol Riots. The Daily Beast, 25 January 2021.
- Josh Gerstein, Stop the Steal organizer charged in Capitol riot. Politico, 25 January 2021.
- Investigations regarding violence at the Capitol. United States Department of Justice.