We are 100% user-supported!
Without you, there is no RationalWiki!
|Goal: $5000||Donations so far: $5000|
Help and donate today!
| Christ died so that we may|
write articles about
|A multi-chef broth|
|Devil's in the details|
|The pearly gates|
Ravi Zacharias (born 1946; full name Frederick Antony Ravi Kumar Zacharias) is an Indian-born Christian evangelical apologist. He is the the founder and chairman of the board of Ravi Zacharias International Ministries as well as an author of many books. Zacharias grew up in a Anglican home, but claims he was an atheist until age 17 when he became a Christian after a failed attempted suicide. Zacharias earned an undergraduate degree from Ontario Bible College in 1972 (now Tyndale University College and Seminary) and his M. Div. from Trinity International University. Although he frequently uses the title "Dr. Zacharias," he holds no academic doctorate degree.
Ravi Zacharias holds the Christian worldview because he believes it is unique for answering the following questions sought by man: that of origin, meaning of life, morality, and destiny. Zacharias holds that there must be a Creator and all morality comes from him. He uses such logic as: if there is a moral law, then there is a law giver. He has made claims such as "naturalists have no explanation for humanity's moral framework."
Zacharias does not accept the theory of evolution. He believes that it is incompatible with the second law of thermodynamics, and he expresses skepticism of the fossil record. As well as being a scientific ignoramus, Ravi has often taken to breaking the 9th Commandment in order to discredit his opponents. Tragically he flew under the radar of potholer54 and was never nominated for a coveted Golden Crocoduck award. He is also guilty of being oblivious to the Dunning-Kruger effect. Whether he enjoys pretending to be an expert on subjects outside of theology is not known. It is also not known if Ravi deliberately realizes he is misrepresenting new atheism, science, and human sexuality, or if he hasn't learned the arduous complicated task of doing a Google search. In his seminars, Ravi is a huge fan of using anecdotal evidence, to the point that he mysteriously forgets to use any other evidence. His incredible talent for quote mining has also left the mining industry baffled as to how one can dig so deep when fueled by the desire to dig up out of context diamonds. In November 2009, Zacharias signed an ecumenical statement known as the Manhattan Declaration calling on Evangelicals, Catholics and Orthodox to engage in civil disobedience with regard to laws which the declaration claims would force them to accept abortion, same-sex marriage or other matters that go against their religious consciences. His followers are still waiting for the moment when he will tie himself to a christian flagpole to protest gay marriage.  
ALLEGATIONS OF ACADEMIC DISHONESTY
For many years Mr. Zacharias has claimed in his official bio, in press materials and in some of his books that he had been "a visiting scholar at Cambridge University." In 2015 this claim was investigated and found to be false. Mr. Zacharias' ministry immediately removed the claim from his website after the investigator indicated an intent to go public with the falsity of claim, which had been the single most impressive item amongst Mr. Zacharias' academic credentials.
It was also learned in 2015 that, although Mr. Zacharias refers to himself as "Dr. Zacharias" in press materials, in his official bio and on the jacket of some of his books, he has never earned an academic doctorate degree. His doctorates are only honorary.
Mr. Zacharias has failed to note in his website bio that his doctorates are only honorary, although he has reduced the number of references to himself as "Dr. Zacharias" at his website.
These allegations were documented in a Press Release issued in August of 2015.
These allegations have begun to raise concern in some Christian circles, such as the Christian Research Network. http://christianresearchnetwork.org/index.php?s=ravi+Zacharias
- Can Man Live Without God? (1994, 1996) ISBN 0849939437
- Deliver Us From Evil (1996, 1998) ISBN 084993950X
- Jesus Among Other Gods (2000, 2002) ISBN 0849943272
- The Lotus and the Cross: Jesus Talks with Buddha (2001) ISBN 157673854X
- Sense and Sensuality: Jesus Talks with Oscar Wilde (2002) ISBN 1590520149
- Light in the Shadow of Jihad: The Struggle For Truth (2002) ISBN 1576739899
- Is Your Church Ready?: Motivating Leaders to Live an Apologetic Life (2003) (Editor, with Norman Geisler) ISBN 0310250617
- Who Made God? And Answers to Over 100 Other Tough Questions of Faith (2003) (General Editor, with Norman Geisler) ISBN 0310247101
- The Kingdom of the Cults (2003) (Editor) ISBN 0764228218
- The Prince and the Prophet: Jesus Talks With Mohammed (Copyright 2004, to be released posthumously) ISBN 1590523199
- The Lamb and the Führer: Jesus Talks with Hitler (2005) ISBN 1590523946
- Walking From East to West: God in the Shadows (With R.S.B. Sawyer) (2006) ISBN 0310259150
- The Grand Weaver: How God Shapes Us Through the Events of Our Lives (2007) ISBN 0310269520
- Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith We Defend (2008) ISBN 0849919681
- The End of Reason: A Response to the New Atheists (2008) ISBN 0310282519
- Is There Not a Cause (2008) (National Day of Prayer Feature Book)
- New Birth or Rebirth: Jesus Talks with Krishna (2008) ISBN 1590527259
- There is a Plan (2009) (excerpts from The Grand Weaver) ISBN 0310318491
- Has Christianity Failed You? (2010) ISBN 0310269555