List of actions prohibited by the Bible
|For it is so written in|
There are uncountable actions prohibited by the Bible. Some, you will know as they're often raised repeatedly by fundamentalists and even moderate religious apologists. Homosexuality being the most popular, but the Bible actually prohibits a lot of other things too, how many have you done?
 Old Testament
Many of the following belong to the ceremonial and civil categories of the Mosaic Law, which Christians regard as defunct and Jews regard as binding on themselves only.
 Sexual acts
All of these merit death.
- Homosexual intercourse between men (Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13).
- Adultery (Leviticus 20:10-12, man and woman).
- Lying about virginity. Applies to girls who are still in their fathers' homes, who lie about their virginity, and are presented to their husband as a virgin. The accused is guilty until proved innocent. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21)
- The daughter of a priest practicing prostitution (death by fire — Leviticus 21:9).
- Rape of a virgin who is engaged. If she is not engaged you only have to marry her and give her father 50 shekels. No mention is made of the girl’s opinion, and no punishment is specified for raping a single non-virgin female. (Deuteronomy 22:25)
- Being the victim of rape, if one is an engaged female virgin and the rape occurs in a city. If it takes place in a field, the victim is spared because nobody would have heard her screams. (Deuteronomy 22:23-27)
- Men or women practicing bestiality (both person and animal die —Leviticus 20:15-16).
- Having sex with your father’s wife, as distinct from "your mother," as it was permissible at the time for men to have several wives (both die — Leviticus 20:20).
- Having sex with your daughter-in-law (Leviticus 20:30).
- Incest (Leviticus 20:17).
- Marrying a woman and her daughter. Mother, daughter, and husband are all burnt to death. (Leviticus 20:14)
 Food and drink
- Consuming blood; blood in meat is not exempt (Genesis 9:4).
- Eating a cheeseburger. Oh helll not the cheeseburger!!! (or anything else that mixes meat and dairy — Exodus 23:19).
- Sacrificing anything with leaven (e.g. yeast) or honey (Leviticus 2:11)
- Eating fat (Leviticus 3:17).
- Eating pork (Leviticus 11:7-8).
- Eating a fellowship offering more than three days old (Leviticus 19:5-8).
- Eating aquatic creatures lacking fins or scales (Deuteronomy 14:9-10).
- Eating any meat not killed according to the kosher practice (Deuteronomy 12:21).
- Consulting a psychic or spiritualist (Leviticus 19:31).
- Being a psychic or spiritualist, punishable by death (Leviticus 20:27).
 Daily life
- Performing any work on the sabbath (Exodus 20:10).
- Planting more than one kind of seed in a field (Leviticus 19:19).
- Wearing clothing woven of more than one kind of cloth (Leviticus 19:19).
- Cutting the hair on the sides of your head or clipping of the edges of your beard (Leviticus 19:27). This commandment is the reason why Orthodox Jews often sport sidelocks and big beards.
- Touching the dead carcass of a pig (Deuteronomy 14:8).
- Cross-dressing (Deuteronomy 22:5).
 New Testament
Although the New Testament ultimately served as an abrogation of the stricter forms and practices of the Mosaic Law, it did codify a few new prohibitions unstated in the text of the Old Testament. Note that none of these are directly said by Jesus himself. However it is also worth noting that, notwithstanding certain episodes where he interpreted them in a relaxed way (eg. the Sabbath working law), Jesus did not explicitly say the old laws were now invalid, and dispensations from following them largely came as a result of the spread of Christianity to non-Jews by Paul. On the contrary, he endorses them in Mathew 5: 18, where he says: "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished".
- Disobedience (Ephesians 6:5).
 See also
- Actions which demand the death penalty in the Old Testament
- Examples of God personally killing people
- ↑ Because the animal obviously has a choice in it.